1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Looking For Foundation 6 Advice/Help

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by VanceVP, May 24, 2016.

1. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    You seem to have #top around the H2 for no good reason, your images are set to display:Block so of course they won't go to the same line, nor do you style the UL/LI at all... I still can't figure out what the proper markup for ANY of that would be since I STILL have doubts those should even BE h2 since you're placeholder text still doesn't make it clear WHY you're starting new subsections of the page, some comments on your closures to make it clear WHAT is being closed, as well as some actual consistency in your indentation would go a long ways towards making it clearer what the devil is even going on there...

.... and I have NO clue what you seem to be trying to do for layout with that... though the 68em fixed width is a bad idea (that should be a max-width, not a width). There's just not enough content of value to say what any of it should be in the markup, meaning there's not enough semantics to even start in on layout.

Like those H2, remember a h2 is a HEADING, aka the start of a subsection of the page that's directly under the h1... Even your placeholder text inside them is inconsistent with the MEANING of the tag.

Go back to HERE:
    http://www.cutcodedown.com/article/progressive_enhancement_part1

... and do that. A FULL page of ACTUAL content or a REAL facsimile of future content, not the incomplete gibberish placeholders you have now. AKA like this:
    http://www.cutcodedown.com/progressive/stage1_plaintext/plaintext.txt

THEN you add markup to it... ALL of it.
    http://www.cutcodedown.com/progressive/stage2_semantics/template.txt

THEN you put the proper HTML opening and closure around it and start adding div and span for styling:
    http://www.cutcodedown.com/progressive/stage3_layout/template.txt

ONLY adding the DIV and SPAN when you actually need them as you've expended what you can do to the existing semantic tags.

I get the feeling you're trying to skip a LOT of those steps.

deathshadow, Jun 15, 2016 IP
  2. VanceVP

VanceVP Member

Best Answers:
    As usual deathshadow, thank you for your insightful replies.

The intent of this site is an idea I have for a little website for my wife. She makes handmade quilts, baby blankets, ect and that's how this real basic site got started. I know that you preach content first then code, but I am waiting for her to finish a couple of projects before I can start putting the content together - thus all the jibberish filler stuff. It was just an idea that I wanted to play around with to see if any of your advice was sinking in.

Anyway, I took a couple of days off from this then re-read your reply above. Following your advice, I made some changes to the styling and now the page resizes from my laptop to my Samsung S6 the way it is suppose to. The only thing I have to fix now is the puppy images are just a bit too large on my cell phone.

Another thing I haven't quite figured out yet is how to do the bordering thing with the shadows. I am going to play with it some more and see if I can figure it out.

I appreciate your patience with me and all the advice and suggestions. I have plenty to work with now so I can keep myself busy for a while. I will work on adding comments to my code as well as work on better indentations so that things "flow" better and make sense to someone other than me.

Got just one more question for you.

Can you suggest a good source to learn some basic SEO?

Is there a member here considered to be well-versed with solid techniques?

Again, many, many thanks for all your assistance . . .

VanceVP, Jun 16, 2016 IP
  3. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    SEO is mainly gibberish - hoodoo meant to drag in gullible people not knowing any better. It's a buzzword which has gotten way too big for its own good. For "good SEO" for a plain website, what you can do is the following (which you are pretty much on a path to do anyway): make sure you have a well designed site (codewise). Make sure your site is responsive and mobile friendly. Make sure you have a sitemap, and that you use Google Webmaster tools. (Face it, the only thing we mean when we say SEO is how high the site ranks on Google - and perhaps on Bing, but nobody uses that anyway ;)
    Then, make sure you have content - preferably unique, and make sure things like meta keywords are actually keywords, and that they match the content on the page. Make sure everything is properly coded, like alt-tags for images and so on. Make sure you don't block crawlers like googlebot, and make sure that the site doesn't steal content and / or have duplicate content.

Basically, make a good website, both codewise and contentwise, and there you have it, SEO made simple.

PoPSiCLe, Jun 16, 2016 IP