1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Looking for advice on how to get into freelance marketing.

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by wheelstb, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Annea

Annea Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I was a freelance writer until January 2012. I've never put my photo on my website or in any forum avatars. That being said, I did post a photo to my HubPages profile, so if anyone wanted to look hard enough, they could probably find it. Without a picture, I still got gigs and built a regular client list, based solely on my writing skills.

...and winning personality! :)

I have never worked at any of the content bidding sites and never, ever would or will. However, many do and if that helps you build confidence and skills, maybe it's right for you. You pay something for using those sites, I believe. Or at least some of them but you've already stated that learning the ropes is as (or more) important to you as the money, so perhaps that's not an issue.

You need to be showcasing your talents and abilities. Start a blog, start using social sites after setting up accounts under whatever name you plan to use as a freelancer. These are windows of opportunity, both for honing your skills and also to use as samples of your work. It's also a great for networking and brand building.

As well, start hanging out online where your potential clients are, so you can get 'the lay of the land.' Pay attention to what they're looking for, what they're willing to pay, what kind of deadlines you might face should they hire your services. Get a sense of what they need. Does it align with what you have to offer? If so, there is some thing that you can do better or different than the other content providers. Try to find an edge, make sure you can do it well and they'll be lining up at your door.

I know, sounds easier than it is. Seriously, it's more time consuming than difficult. Honest.

Annea, Jan 22, 2014 IP
  2. RJCreationzzz

RJCreationzzz Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Seriously, don't sell yourself short by wasting your talents on Fiverr. Evaluate your skills, gained in life and through college or work experience and see how you can apply that to a possible freelance career. If you are looking to have a career, you can't sustain it with one off gigs from sites like Fiverr. You need to cultivate a solid customer base, a group of people who consistently use your services month after month and for whom you can provide the highest quality service, doing whatever it is you do best. That's the essence of a successful freelance career, whether it's as a writer, graphics designer or programmer.

RJCreationzzz, Jan 24, 2014 IP
  3. gambler53

gambler53 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You have to believe in yourself, and Kudos on building up your portfolio as you said in a new post. You will need some patience, but if you're determined and willing to keep learning, you'll do fine.

gambler53, Jan 24, 2014 IP
  4. aniblow

aniblow Active Member

Best Answers:
    Look for where people who need your services
    hang out. Go there, interact with them and
    promote your services.

aniblow, Jan 25, 2014 IP