1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Looking for advice on blog creation

Discussion in 'Blogging' started by NotBAMF, Feb 8, 2017.

I imagine that this may be question that comes up 100 times a month, but my cursory glance at the forum did not turn up anything exactly like what I'm looking for, so... I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

I'm wanting to create a blog, and I'm basically hopelessly stuck at step 1. Or, hell, step 0.1, if you will. I have no idea what blog hosting site with which to start. The initial research I turned up was strong on Bluehost, and I was just about to signup there when some more research came up with some more negative reviews, and then I came across what seemed to be the fact that on top of $5-something per month, I'd have to pay something like $12/month or so for WordPress hosting. Is that true?

I've come across some other hosting sites (HostGator, SiteGround), but all the reviews kind of run together, and it's hard to differentiate one from another. Thus, I come to your forum for some advice on where to even start.

What is the best site hosting for starting a blog?

Some facts about me to help you advise me:

1) Cost is something of an issue. I'm not struggling, but I'm not independently wealthy enough to get this off the ground without being aware of the most cost-effective options. I don't need the cheapest option on the market, but I can't splurge, either. The whole Bluehost thing with "Pay for the hosting, then pay for the blogging" thing was quite off-putting (unless I am misunderstanding that).

2) I have absolutely no web design experience. None. I am completely pre-novice in this regard. Any services that offer the most hand-holding and basic one-click options as possible are ideal. Honestly, I'd prefer a site that does everything except the actual blog writing for me.

3) My blog will tends towards pop culture and entertainment and humor writing. I'm not a parent/mommy, and I'm not someone whose going to be blogging, like, Eight Other Uses For Old Diapers or recipes or whatever. If that matters.
    SEMrush

Okay, I'm not sure what else I might need. I am more than happy to answer any other questions that might be relevant. I'd really appreciate any advice and personal lessons hat could be offered.

Thanks!

NotBAMF, Feb 8, 2017 IP
    SEMrush
  2. RoadToTesla

RoadToTesla Peon

Best Answers:
    I tried BlueHost last weekend and it sucked. Login was broken for 24 hours after signing up and I gave up on solving that issue after being put on-hold by their phone support line for 20 minutes (during non-peak times). After it started working the whole platform was clunky and slow. Would not recommend.

Re: your questions
    1. You do not need to pay for wordpress installation, that option on ANY hosting network is for suckers. Wordpress is free and incredibly easy to install. Here's a guide on it:
    http://www.wpbeginner.com/how-to-install-wordpress/
    As my projects are hosted on a more "do-it-yourself" platform, don't have a huge amount of experience with the more integrated solution you're looking for, but from what I've heard you should avoid Bluehost and GoDaddy. HostGator is OK for a cheapo hosting platform.
    2. While you don't NEED to have web design experience, you'll probably find that it is very much a "nice to have" even in the early days of your blog, and a "need to have" as your blog matures. It's not hard to learn the basics of HTML/CSS, and it can actually be a lot of fun. You can learn %80 of what you'll ever need to use after 4-5 hours on Codecademy.
    That all being said, Wordpress itself makes it very easy to make basic modifications to your site/theme without having to code anything. There is an "appearance" tab that makes this all possible.
    3. Don't hate on Eight Other Uses For Old Diapers, that shit makes bank for some people!

My advice: learn some HTML/CSS and spend a few hours clicking around wpbeginner and similar sites to get a feel for what wordpress can and can't do. Then pick a hosting platform and go for it!

RoadToTesla, Feb 8, 2017 IP
  3. NotBAMF

NotBAMF Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, all the initial positives I had heard about BlueHost seemed to be weighed down by eventual negatives. It's unfortunate... I had been set on it until that point.

I'll check that wordpress install in a moment here. Do I need anything before I do it? What is the difference between Wordpress and just... having a website?

I'll look further into Hostgator, too.

I have some basic HTML knowledge, but not enough to turn, like, a blank screen into a webpage, you know? And CSS... I have no idea. As awful as this is for a writer to say, I just have no time and less patience to learn web design. I mean, I can try, but it will be a long process.

Any other thoughts?

NotBAMF, Feb 9, 2017 IP
  4. MoneyTopList.com

MoneyTopList.com Active Member

Best Answers:
    You will need to register a domain name. So think about a good one. You will be able to register it during the web hosting sign up.

Well, you can create a traditional website with WordPress too. WordPress is well known blogging platform, but a lot of traditionally looking webs are built using this script.

As I am an owner of a web hosting company, I cannot give you impartial opinion about where to start your blog. Anyway, I can tell you some facts which may help you with your decision.

HostGator and Bluehost are owned by the same company. So you can expect the same level of the service. In fact, the company which owns HostGator and BlueHost, also runs tens of other web hosting companies. Check out Wikipedia to see a complete list of their brands: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endurance_International_Group

Almost every web hosting company offers all the features which you need to install a blog. Moreover, some of them have an installer so you can create a blog without any knowledge. However, if you decide to try some very cheap hosting, I suggest to make sure they can host WordPress before you sign up.

WordPress blog can be perfectly installed on PHP 5. But the newest PHP version, PHP 7, is significantly faster (which means faster loading of your blog). So if you will decide between more companies and some of the will offer PHP 7, it can be a good idea to choose the one with PHP 7.

MoneyTopList.com, Feb 10, 2017 IP
  5. evansC

evansC Peon

Best Answers:
    Choosing a good web hosting solution is crucial for the success of your blog as otherwise there may be many negative impacts as loss of revenue, poor SEO ranking and security and malware attacks. Of foremost importance are regular data backups that will help you to easily restore it in case your site gets hacked.

When it comes to BlueHost its true that the company is well focused on beginner’s needs. It is one of the most recommended hosting providers by the WordPress team as well. The not so convenient part is the lowest price of $5 is only available with 36-month plans.

If you want a cost-effective option with a good level of security and 99.9% uptime a suitable choice is A2 hosting. Furthermore, company is among the most famous competitors in the industry.

What you may also need is a central location because a server located in a central location can cover most of the areas around it and have significantly lower latency.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    evansC, Jan 25, 2018 IP
  6. blueink02

blueink02 Member

Best Answers:
    You need to pay only for the hosting service. Every hosting service including bluehost comes with 1 click wordpress install which is free. Its advisable that you buy a domain from domain registrars and host it on a hosting service, which means keep your host and domain registrar separately.
    Though bluehost is good, I would suggest Siteground as they are more customer friendly particularly beneficial for beginners who have less technical knowledge.
    Just an outline on how to get started:

1. Choose your niche/topic
    2. Get a domain related to your niche from godaddy or namecheap
    3. Sign up with a hosting service - basic/startup plan will do.
    4. Install wordpress using one click install in cpanel
    5.Your blog is ready

Things to keep in mind - Most of the hosting service offer discounts for the first invoice only that comes around $3-5/month. The renewal prices are quite high, so sign up for a year or two to save on hosting. Hope this helps!

blueink02, Apr 24, 2018 IP