1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Looking for a 'log parser'.

Discussion in 'Traffic Analysis' started by T0PS3O, Mar 21, 2005.

Hi,

Reading access and error logs is a nightmare! Add to that an OsCommerce parse time log (also hundreds of lines in notepad without formatting) and it's a pin to find out what's going on.

So I figured I need some kind of Log Parser or a program that reads in the log and outputs it formatted.

I'm not sure how one would call such a tool and whether it exists so I'm having a hard time finding it.

Does it exist? If so, where can I get one? If not, how do you guys/girls read your logs?

T0PS3O, Mar 21, 2005 IP
  2. flawebworks

flawebworks Tech Services

Best Answers:
    flawebworks, Mar 21, 2005 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    digitalpoint, Mar 21, 2005 IP
  4. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Peon

Best Answers:
    AW Stats is *free* and pretty cool too. Don't think it'll handle you OSCommerce logs though ;)

DangerMouse, Mar 21, 2005 IP
  5. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    OK, I've checked out Funnel and it looks OK but not what I need. I already have some basic stuff with webalizer which is OK for now. I guess I should have asked for parsers for the error log files.

I can read it alright in Excel but it'd be nice to get (just like with Funnel) some aggregate stats on the issues reported in the error log.

AWstats seems a nice tool to replace the not-so-interesting Webalizer (I use statcounter as well though) I'll check that out now as well.

Urchin appears to be a more complete package which I might well be using sometime soon after listing what I want first.

T0PS3O, Mar 21, 2005 IP
  6. J.D.

J.D. Peon

Best Answers:
    Use MS Access instead - you can handle much more data this way. It has somewhat decent graphing as well (take a look at PivotChart View in query types). I tried about 700K+ records and it worked fine, except that it took a while to build a graph and chewed up about 500M while doing it.

J.D.

J.D., Mar 21, 2005 IP
  7. crazyhorse

crazyhorse Peon

Best Answers:
    Im using weblog expert, and im using robot text editor to analyze all my log files. Just realised that this isnt what your asking for.

crazyhorse, Mar 21, 2005 IP
  8. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    I highly recommend Sawmill from Flowerfire.com.

mopacfan, Mar 21, 2005 IP
  9. riziko

riziko Peon

Best Answers:
    If you use IIS or your logs are w3c compatible you could try http://www.logparser.com/. It is free but you have to be technically inclined I think.

Ross

riziko, Mar 21, 2005 IP