1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Long vs Short Copy

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by exolis, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Traffic-Bug

Traffic-Bug Active Member

Best Answers:
    In this case, neither long or neither too short web copy on the front page may be preferable. If it is too long, it will put off visitors. If it is too short, it may lack information and convey only very less inforamtion and data.

Traffic-Bug, Nov 3, 2009 IP
  2. alexa_s

alexa_s Peon

Best Answers:
    Lol, do you have any idea how much money Eben Pagan made/makes with that page, Philip?! I dislike it just as much as you do, but it's enormously successful and was eventually arrived at after very extensive and detailed split-testing. You're not a copywriter yourself, then? :eek: :rolleyes:

alexa_s, Nov 4, 2009 IP
  3. Crossroad

Crossroad Peon

Best Answers:
    Eben Pagen is also a genius marketer. I trust him to know what he's doing.

And as far as what Phillip said about "No, it's just about selling a TV", that's the retail stores job. SONY works on building a brand, because that's what sells TVs. The Sony brand. It's a simple marketing concept.

Crossroad, Nov 4, 2009 IP
  4. PhilipR

PhilipR Peon

Best Answers:
    Uh, yeah, rought estimate, I do.

Do you?

Really? "Very extensive and detailed," huh?

That would be a neat trick, since he has never done it.

Heh, I love how noobs just make stuff up to try to appear smart to others.

Um, it's advertising / (clearance) sales that basically moves the products, son.

And a "genius marketer" would never create such loooooooong sales pages on that particular subject.

Noobs. ... What can ya do? *shrugs shoulders*

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
    PhilipR, Nov 4, 2009 IP
  5. Crossroad

Crossroad Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, but think of it this way. If SONY, and some brand-new brand (Let's call it Brand Y) put out the same advertisement, for the same TV, for the same price, whose are you going to buy? SONYs, of course, because they've built a brand reputation.

For more on building brands, I suggest you do some research, starting with this article: http://www.avsgroup.com/resources/financial_benefits.asp

Crossroad, Nov 4, 2009 IP
  6. PhilipR

PhilipR Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry, but they, like so many of the large companies of today built their reputation through advertising.

But I can see where you are comng from, but think here...Sony did and still does mainly advertising. They rarely do branding.

Putting up their name all over the place doesn't get that many people to think: "Hmmmm I think I'll buy a TV. lol Nope, it's ads, promotions, sales...that pulls them in.

THAT, along with having a reliable product(s) is how companies have built reputation.

I think of Sony because of all the advertising they do, and, especially that they produce reliable products.

You have to keep in mind that the one who does the most, and good, advertising, is the one usually on top.

Look at Geico, as an example. If one was to think of insurance, for many people that company comes to mind, along with that annoying little reptile. heh heh.

They rarely do any branding. They focus on advertising.

They could brand it by putting up their name, along with the picture of that bug-eyed reptile, but people need a reason to switch. Geico knows this.

There is no way in hell I would brand. That is money down the shitter. People want to know about benefts, what it can do for them.

Geico sucks, by the way, but they are slowly but surely getting bigger and bigger, and bigger....

Branding has nothing to do with it.

But we are taking this thread off track, so....

PhilipR, Nov 4, 2009 IP
  7. Gwen78

Gwen78 Peon

Best Answers:
    I see PhilipR is up to more of his attempted granstanding :rolleyes:

Agreed alexa, Eben Pagan's formula cannot be denied, whether you like the approach or not. It appears PhilipR needs to hop off his "high horse"

Gwen78, Nov 4, 2009 IP
  8. internetauthor

internetauthor Peon

Best Answers:
    Branding and Advertising are not mutually exclusive of each other. One man's advertisement might be another man's branding attempt. Although I don't think I've ever seen a sales page for a television. But there's always a first time.

internetauthor, Nov 4, 2009 IP
  9. PhilipR

PhilipR Peon

Best Answers:
    I think Gwen is in love with me. She is following me.

Sorry, honey, I don't care too mch for girls who throw tantrums.

From that stab-in-the-dark, brilliant post of yours I see that you still haven't had your tomato-soft head of yours massaged to increase the blood flow to your brain yet.

Can you post more? You're funny.

Attempt is right. That's about it.

Yeah, I hear newspapers and magazines carry ads. :)~

But like I said, I used Sony as an example. I better put that in bold.

PhilipR, Nov 4, 2009 IP
  10. maste`

maste` Peon

Best Answers:
    This is a interesting thread.

I would like to say short,
    but long has always appealed to me!

maste`, Nov 4, 2009 IP
  11. Crossroad

Crossroad Peon

Best Answers:

People buy TVs when they need/want a new one. They don't get up and decide to buy a TV when they see an ad for one. The need or want has to already be there.

When one decides he wants a TV, and he goes to pick one out, he (like any smart consumer), compares several. He doesn't see a sony "ad" and says, hey, I want this SONY TV. No, he compares several TVs of different brand names, not because he saw an ad for them, but because he knows the brand. That is branding.

Similarly, if you see an ad for a different TV, say... a Samsung HD TV, and you decide you want a new TV, and you go to shop, and you compare different TVs. SONY is also a possible choice, not because you saw the ad, but because you know the brand.

Geico has had so many commercials that I forget the last one as soon as a new one comes on. I can't remember any right now. They are goofy, funny commercials that have absolutely 0 to do with car insurance. They all have to do with "Geico". They aren't selling you car insurance. They're selling you Geico. And that's called branding.

If you decide you need car insurance, and go to buy Geico, you don't say, "Hey! Remember that great commercial Geico had?". No, you just think of "all those funny Geico commercials". The focus isn't on the Ad, but the people who made the Ad. That is also called branding.

Have you ever seen an advertisement for Aquafina or Poland Spring? Hell no. But those are still brands. You know that brand of bottled water.

--

I understand why you wouldn't want to brand, because it's totally ineffective for internet marketing. You don't want a long-term relationship with a customer, you just want to sell them the s*** and maybe put them on your list for future purchases.

Then again, if a new Frank Kern product is coming out, before you even see the salesletter, you're probably excited and/or thinking it's worth buying, because Frank Kern has built quite a name for himself, or you could even say, a brand.

Crossroad, Nov 5, 2009 IP
  12. Crossroad

Crossroad Peon

Best Answers:
    Newspaper ads are for retailers. Not for the actual product-makers. The retailers put out ads to get people to come buy the stuff in their store.

Crossroad, Nov 5, 2009 IP
  13. PhilipR

PhilipR Peon

Best Answers:
    Obviously.

Uhhhhh, there has to be advertisng before there can be branding so the word of it and its benefits, "what can it do for me?" can be known.

I and everyone else knows of Sony due to their advertising via the stores, like so many other products out there.

And, once again, people want to know the benefits of a product. Ads with benefits and or sales do that.

I'm sorry, man, but what part of all of this are you not getting?

Um, again, he knows the brand, due to advertising.

Ugh.

Everybody and their brother from around the world, many of them even in the poorest of nations, knows about Nike.

Why??? ... Because of the heavy advertising.

Word spread....DUE TO THE HEAVY ADVERTISING.

They recognize the Nike red check mark...DUE TO THE HEAVY ADVERTISING.

Advertising has to come before branding. And since advertising, and advertising sales, keeps the products rolling off the shelf, there is little use for branding. It is a gross waste of money.

Once again, it was a poor example, and in one post I worded it wrong, like I said. It's the products that get sold due to advertising and sales.

Hey, look, ma, I sound like a stuck record.

Just one of many ads, both on TV and in print. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEc5foJ9plE

I never heard of this Poland Spring. Is that water from Poland? :)~

That's right. That's exactly what many would think of. And along with the benefits they gave in that ad. "Save up to 30%...."

Sorry, but you are wrong again. The focus IS on that ad. "Save up to 30%...." And other benefits they gave.

The foucs is also on the humor of the ads, which makes many like the product.

Why do you think they are getting bigger and bigger?

*sigh*

And why in the hell would I focus on the makers of a commercial???

Sorry, but you lost me there.

Leave Frank Kern, the hack with a site that has every few daily hits out of this. My readers who are just newbies, and other newbies out there has more traffic than this idiot.

Let's just agree to disagree. :)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
    PhilipR, Nov 5, 2009 IP
  14. PhilipR

PhilipR Peon

Best Answers:
  15. Ducati1198

Ducati1198 Peon

Best Answers:

Wow, that insecurity of yours is really out there ;)

Ducati1198, Nov 6, 2009 IP
  16. PhilipR

PhilipR Peon

Best Answers:
    Look who's following me.

ZING! Wow, you got me with that one. Ouch!

lmao! Tears are forming! I nearly fell out of my chair!

Yup, he's pissed.

Damn, I'm good. :D

Just don't start cying, okay, Ducati1198?

*pats Ducati1198 on the head*

That's a good boy.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
    PhilipR, Nov 6, 2009 IP
  17. Crossroad

Crossroad Peon

Best Answers:
    That's fine. You're obviously thinking on a smaller scale (advertising to sell the products), and not the large scale of building a long-time business (advertising to build a brand).

It's all a personal thing I guess. If you want to build lots of short-term campaigns, that's cool, and I do the same thing, but I'm talking about the larger scale out there. People who build a name for themselves.

Crossroad, Nov 6, 2009 IP
  18. exolis

exolis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    this thread was supposed to be about long or short web copy which essentially is advertising.

I personally believe branding and advertising are distinct.

Branding involves creating awareness in the minds of the consumers so they know at least what the choices are on the market if they choose to buy something, say, a TV.

And advertising is about convincing them that a particular TV brand is better than its competitors'

One can't do without the other...

exolis, Nov 6, 2009 IP
  19. mafiz

mafiz Peon

Best Answers:
    I give you thank to highwayman for his valuable thought:p

mafiz, Nov 6, 2009 IP
  20. mafiz

mafiz Peon

Best Answers:
    Is it a right or good profession to create a career on copywriting job?? How can I do that?Plz reply.

mafiz, Nov 6, 2009 IP