1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Long-Tail Keywords?

Discussion in 'Keywords' started by Plutonic, Jun 22, 2010.

I'm planning on focusing on a couple of keywords and a couple of long-tail keywords for my first SEO practice project.

But how many long-tail keywords should I choose?

The website will be a reptile information website, so far I've come up with:

Is four too many? Or not enough?

How many regular keywords should I have as well?

Plutonic, Jun 22, 2010 IP
  2. Plutonic

Plutonic Peon

Best Answers:
    Okay I realized a couple of those are pretty crappy, after seeing how many results they get. So that brings me to another question.

What's the ideal amount of results to get in Google for one of your longtail keywords? Is 10,000 good or should I aim for less?

3. shaaam2007

shaaam2007 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Naledge I think you have keep you in mind. Then you can use good adword keyword estimation tool and enter long tail keywords, Check exact match, Then try to compact your long tail keyword till that long tail keyword have low competition level with good search volume. You can check change the area and trending also.

shaaam2007, Jun 22, 2010 IP
  4. Plutonic

Plutonic Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you. I'm not sure what a low competition level is though, or a good search volume. How many searches is good? How many results in Google is good? How many longtail keywords should I focus on?

Thanks.

5. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    If you look at the Google Keywords tool it will give you a competition level - low level is exactly that - a low level of competition. As shaaam2007 says, if you have a keyphrase with low competition but high search then that's where you should consider targetting.

As for the numbers game - how many keywords should you look at, how many searches is good - there's no hard-and-fast rules. Pick the phrases you're targetting and run with them. Watch, record, tweak... SEO is a never-ending story...

Lever, Jun 22, 2010 IP
  6. magda

magda Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The question of whether to pick the high volume or the low volume keyword depends on how realistic it is to get to the top of serps with it. In position one you can reckon to get 30 to 40% of the available clicks.
    At position 5 it's around 5%
    Use yahoo explorer to see the backlinks of the sites at the top of the listings for the keyword you are considering and ask yourself if you can get more.

magda, Jun 22, 2010 IP
  7. ysb888

ysb888 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank for the answers!

ysb888, Jun 25, 2010 IP
  8. hazim smadi

hazim smadi Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank for the answers! :)

hazim smadi, Jun 25, 2010 IP
  9. Remotestaff

Remotestaff Peon

Best Answers:
    I shared/posted an article about building long-tail keywords also in the 'Keywords' sub-forum thread. Check it out here

Remotestaff, Jul 7, 2010 IP
  10. mo0ndoggy

mo0ndoggy Member

Best Answers:
    Over 2400 searches a month its very good. Just my 2 cents

mo0ndoggy, Jul 7, 2010 IP
  11. jannyflcn

jannyflcn Peon

Best Answers:
    Just go to Google adword and try to find keywords related to your site and see which keywords has more search result (traffic) if that keyword is work for your site then target keywords with high traffic.. you will win the competition automatically...

jannyflcn, Jul 7, 2010 IP
  12. Nick Lotter

Nick Lotter Member

Best Answers:
    I don't believe there is a set number of searches per month that you should target. It comes down to looking for keywords that get a decent amount of searches every month - that depends on what you are looking for - and then checking the results on Googles first page. Do you think you can outrank those websites? if yes, go for it.

Nick Lotter, Jul 9, 2010 IP
  13. AmarLuis

AmarLuis Peon

Best Answers:
    What are you using to research your keywords?

AmarLuis, Jul 9, 2010 IP
  14. efreed

efreed Guest

Best Answers:
    Hey there. I replied to another post of yours regarding content creation: hope you found that helpful.

With the Caffeine update (for Google) long tail search queries and "head queries" (short tail..) are considered equivalent; your competition will be less, but if the content isn't properly optimized it won't fare well. I would recommend creating content around interesting and valuable information, and worrying about proper KWs later - it is easier to find the right KWs for your content than it is to mold content to KWs you select in advance.

Good luck!
    -E

efreed, Jul 9, 2010 IP
  15. dakco

dakco Peon

Best Answers:
    Longtail keywords means you need more content,
    any content or article describe about 2-3 correlation keywords

dakco, Jul 9, 2010 IP
  16. inspiroHost

inspiroHost Peon

Best Answers:
    I would say 2-3 words is good. But it depends on the subject matter I guess. Check the google keyword popularity tool to see how many people search for that specific longtail keyword.

inspiroHost, Jul 9, 2010 IP
  17. Check This Out!

Check This Out! Peon

Best Answers:
    Long tail keywords are a fantastic idea. First of all they help you rank in the SERPS over and over again for a large variety of keyword phrases. Secondly, its much easier to achieve high rankings for these phrases. And finally, if you continually discover long tail keywords specific to your niche, you have a constant stream of article topics for which to write good content.

As for volume, I would only ever target a keyword which received 100+ exact match searches per month. If your using google adwords keywords tool, which is not too accurate - look for anything with 2400-3000+ searches per month.

Another thing to take into account is the competetion level for your targeted keyword. In google search for your keyword phrase in qoutes;

Like this : "can you feed live mice to snakes"

Then look at the number of pages that google returns for this exact phrase. Anything below 50,000 results is a prime ranking opportunity.

Hope that helps / CTO :)

Check This Out!, Jul 19, 2010 IP
  18. kristenstewartj

kristenstewartj Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Naledge

Focusing first on long tail keywords for a new website is really good strategy in SEO. Since your site may be very new to search engines and if you would go in for high traffic keywords or singe word keywords you would get good results even after many years, So just have a long tail keywords may be around 3 words to 4 words.

kristenstewartj, Jul 26, 2010 IP