1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Lol. Adcenter wants to charge me a signup fee. wtf...

Discussion in 'Bing Ads' started by ly2, Jan 25, 2006.

So I got an invite for adcenter. But there is a "signup fee". So maybe it's just me but wtf is microsoft trying to squeeze every last dime out of shit? Far as i see it, I'm doing them a favor by helping them launch and debug their program so why the hell would they ask me for money? This has really turned me off to microsoft. How the hell do i even know if they have anti fraud or anything else like that in place to protect me money?

Personally I think they should be paying ME a fee, of course that would never hapen. But they should match my deposit or give some type of perk for helping them out. Or maybe I'm out of line, what do you people think?
    ====================================================
    Here is a copy and paste of the email i replied to them with:

OK, I will think about it and let you know. The problem I have with this fee is that your program is in beta and I see it as me and people like me helping you guys to develope your program. If anything, adcenter should be matching my deposit or something along those lines. It just seems a bit weird to me. But i will think about it. Thanks for all your time.
    ====================================================

ly2, Jan 25, 2006 IP
  2. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    It's $5. If that's an issue for you don't sign up.

I would guess it's a qualifier so they don't have people signing up who will help test the system by spending a grand total of 10 cents a day.

GuyFromChicago, Jan 25, 2006 IP
  3. adamjthompson

adamjthompson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you don't wanna signup, I'll gladly take your invite (assuming it is transferable). :)

adamjthompson, Jan 25, 2006 IP
  4. ly2

ly2 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, thank you for the advice.

As far as the fee goes, it's NOT the five dollars that bothers me. It's just the fact that I feel like I'm helping them out by beta testing their system, the least they could do is not try to squeeze the beta testers for $5.00. Seems a bit tacky. But oh well. I actually used to love MSN and even stick up for them in threads where people were bashing them, but this just seems like a bad move to me. Especially since they are playing catch up with google. If MSN wants to catch google, they should be offering perks, not screwing around with getting $5 from their beta testers.

ly2, Jan 25, 2006 IP
  5. ly2

ly2 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I may give it away, i have not decided yet if I wanna sign up.

ly2, Jan 25, 2006 IP
  6. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Didn't know that they charged a fee, but as GFC says, it is quite an intelligent move to get rid of all the tire kickers

fryman, Jan 25, 2006 IP
  7. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I applied a few weeks ago for the adcenter. Haven't heard back yet. I'd pay the $5 in a heart beat to test it out. Without any content publishers and not too many advertisers, I bet the CPC is low and conversions higher.

lorien1973, Jan 25, 2006 IP
  8. ly2

ly2 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thats a good point. =x
    maybe i will signup lol

ly2, Jan 25, 2006 IP
  9. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    *opens mouth and inserts foot* ;)

lorien1973, Jan 25, 2006 IP
  10. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    That's why I said:

During the beta it's important that they use some sort of screening process to weed out the people who no have no intention of really testing the system out. MS doesn't need the $5, they need people who have $ to spend so they can gather some solid data on what's going on with the AdCenter system.

All that's besides the point though - the fact of the matter is with so little competition in AdCenter right now you should be able to make that $5 back within 5 minutes of your first ad getting approved.

Words that cost $5 in AdWords are still 5 cents in AdCenter.

GuyFromChicago, Jan 25, 2006 IP
  11. MattEvers

MattEvers Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I wish that I could get an invite. My 300% profit margin in adwords could be 3000% in adcenter. .......:mad: Five dollars, shit, I'd pay a hundred just to see what I could do with it.

MattEvers, Jan 27, 2006 IP
  12. joepimp

joepimp Guest

Best Answers:
    Does anyone know the link to the beta AD Center signup?? :)

joepimp, Jan 27, 2006 IP
  13. adCenter411

adCenter411 Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi there,
    Here's the link if you're interested in signing up for the adCenter pilot.

http://advertising.msn.com/searchadv/PilotForm.asp

There is a large queue right now but you'll be contacted with an invitation, should be in a couple weeks.

Thanks!
    adCenter

adCenter411, Jan 27, 2006 IP
  14. ly2

ly2 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I signed up lastnight. So we will see how it goes. One thing i noticed with their keyword tool, it shows how many searches they get per month for that keyword. I thought alot more searches were done on MSN. I know they are the 3rd biggest out of the big three, just didnt know the search volume was that low. =\

ly2, Jan 28, 2006 IP
  15. Arizona Web Design

Arizona Web Design Guest

Best Answers:
    I've been using the ad center for a few months now (my bigger account gets these types of things early I guess)- As expected, it does kinda suck. It is better than Yahoo, but not really all that good. We can't get much traffic from it even advertising on very competitive terms.

The traffic does convert OK, but in the end aquisition cost is comparable to Google, despite the cheaper clicks.

Eitehr way, it still beats the crap out of Overture.

Arizona Web Design, Jan 29, 2006 IP
  16. MaxS

MaxS Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry to go a bit off topic, where can I apply?

Either way, it's a bit tacky of Microsoft to charge a fee! The funny thing is, it's $5 - as if they can't launch with program without the fee.

Edit: It's advertisers only? No publisher system? Huh...

MaxS, Jan 29, 2006 IP
  17. MattEvers

MattEvers Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't understand the big deal with the $5. You have to pay $5 to use Overture. It's just to keep advertisers honest. Any real advertiser isn't worried about $5.

MattEvers, Jan 29, 2006 IP
  18. ly2

ly2 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thats not true. I'm a "real" advertiser. It's just the principle of the matter. It's like everytime i turn around someone has their fucking hand out and I get fed up from time to time. I am "fee"'d to death every day by everyone.

Anyway i went ahead and signed up on Friday, still waiting for my ad's to be approved.

ly2, Jan 29, 2006 IP
  19. MattEvers

MattEvers Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I know how you feel... Does the $5 go toward your ads like in Overture? I would think it would... I read the thread over and didn't see that detail.

Either way, it's just to keep you honest.

MattEvers, Jan 29, 2006 IP