1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Logo First or Web Design first?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Davey Crocket, Jan 19, 2007.

Which should you choose to create first...a logo or should one design the website first?

Davey Crocket, Jan 19, 2007 IP
  2. mhdoc

mhdoc Tauren

Best Answers:
    I suspect your idea of the perfect logo will change as you work through the site design.

mhdoc, Jan 19, 2007 IP
  3. papichulo

papichulo Peon

Best Answers:
    I would say logo first. The logo represents your company or your whole idea... The website should follow.

papichulo, Jan 19, 2007 IP
  4. Davey Crocket

Davey Crocket Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thats what I was thinking Logo first

Davey Crocket, Jan 19, 2007 IP
  5. jared

jared Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you _could_ make it either way.

But from my experience and from what I have seen, web designers like to have to logo first so they can get a "feel" for the company and what its image is like. Also the logo usually gives the designer a good idea on what colors he can incorporate into the design.

That is one of the things I hate most personally, when a small new company wants you to design them a website.... I ask them for a logo and they tell me they don't have one and just to "use anything". If I am lucky, months down the road when they finally got a logo designed it will fit into my design.

jared, Jan 19, 2007 IP
  6. exponent

exponent Peon

Best Answers:
    Logo first. This gives you the basis for how to design the site. If you design the site first, you're severely limiting what you can do with the logo.

exponent, Jan 19, 2007 IP
  7. rcajht

rcajht Peon

Best Answers:
    I would say website first, then logo, you can design a logo fitting your website perfectly.

rcajht, Jan 19, 2007 IP
  8. Logicaly

Logicaly Peon

Best Answers:
    Defienetly the logo first. The logo sets the tone for the entire company. Its not only seen on your site, but if you make business cards, or what not, its seen there as well. And so the the logo should be first, and the design of the site, should be built around the logo.

Logicaly, Jan 19, 2007 IP
  9. nagarajdh

nagarajdh Member

Best Answers:
    As a designer I would choose, the logo. First you need to build the identity for what your business is going to be. Once you have the identity ready, you can use the shapes and colors used in your identity to make your website complementing your ID. This is just the standard used in graphic design world.

nagarajdh, Sep 14, 2012 IP
  10. 3dy.ro

3dy.ro Member

Best Answers:
    I would personally go for a logo over website's design, although I am myself a web designer. With a great logo you can build a very simple (almost plain) website and it will still look excellent and professional.

3dy.ro, Sep 14, 2012 IP
    wordplay likes this.
  11. HBz

HBz Peon

Best Answers:
    If I were making everything from scratch, I'd probably design it all at once. Have an idea sort of what I want the logo to be like, and incorporate it into my developing vision for the site. Adjust, tweak that concept as I see fit, and have it all come together in some beautiful synthesis and...yeah, you get the idea.

However, making a website for someone else, they will probably have their logo set...as in set in stone. It's likely something used in a variety of ways and not something I can just request a change to at my whim. I don't believe that any site could be designed to arbitrarily fit any logo. So I'd prefer to have the logo to work with, and use as a guideline when figuring out how to best incorporate a site around it.

Without a logo of course, you can still get to work. <div id="logo."> It's just that it might cause more headache later if/when you need to readjust the site based on what the logo end sup coming out as. I'm a fan of doing things once through, right way the first time.

HBz, Sep 14, 2012 IP
  12. Noticed

Noticed Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'd do you logo first and design around that.

Noticed, Sep 14, 2012 IP
  13. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I say content first, presentation last -- and since a logo is just presentation... Much like the half assed idiotic approach of drawing a goofy picture in photoshop and calling oneself a 'designer', when they don't have enough knowledge about accessibility, HTML, CSS or anything else to be designing Jack for the Internet. Starting from a logo before you have semantic markup of content AND a working layout is putting the cart before the horse.

Make your content or a reasonable facsimile as plaintext, semantically mark it up with zero concern for layout or appearance since the HTML should be device neutral. Then make the layout using CSS and as few extra HTML elements as possible... then and only then concern yourself with the presentational images you're going to hang on the screen layout... that way when you do the mobile layout, print layout, responsive layout, etc, etc... you aren't stuck dicking around with a logo that might not be viable on all of those, and can have the option and everything in place to omit it when it just plain doesn't work.

Much less addressing concerns like graceful degradation for when people turn things like images and CSS off and/or don't have them available.

As I've said several million times the past decade, people visit websites for the content, NOT the goofy graphics you hang around them that exist just to stroke the designers... ego. It's the difference between flash and substance.

deathshadow, Sep 15, 2012 IP
  14. xuled

xuled Banned

Best Answers:
    I would like to design a logo first. Then i would like to design the whole site. It will be better because then you will get some idea about which colors you should use in your web site and which pattern you should use in your site.

xuled, Sep 15, 2012 IP
  15. osalem

osalem Peon

Best Answers:
    Logo first, so you can get a feel of what the website should look like.

osalem, Sep 15, 2012 IP
  16. ranul2

ranul2 Peon

Best Answers:
    Logo first

ranul2, Sep 15, 2012 IP
  17. aveh091112

aveh091112 Peon

Best Answers:
    i agree w/ them..logo first..

aveh091112, Sep 16, 2012 IP
  18. andiqu