1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

LOGO / BADGE / ICON contest $20 for the winner $10 second place

Discussion in 'Design Contests' started by proteindude, Aug 12, 2007.

1. proteindude

proteindude Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Shib: I have seen your other work on different threads. The way I see it is you are getting better all the time. These designs are better but only just. I mean it. But you still have some work to do to get your designs chosen. Sometimes, it's the small things that seem to make a big difference. Things such as small shadows, little bevel, colour match etc. It is these small things that I feel are missing from your designs. I may be talking crap now but I remember a conversation between a master painter and a junior painter. The junior painter was telling the master painter: "I finish one painting every day and it takes me one year to sell it." The master painter replied: "If you spent one year on a painting, it would then take you just one day to sell it."
    I would have to give you top marks for perseverance and willingness to improve your designs and not give up but at the same time I still think you need even more work before your designs get chosen. My opinion try and do one good design rather than spend time on many different designs. Thanks for the new submissions.

proteindude, Aug 18, 2007 IP
  2. proteindude

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Sorry shib, I only saw this request after I posted my previous post. First of all I haven't made up my mind. I am however considering Kia and Romlin. I am not focusing on Kia. You will see the last set of designs she did at her own initiative, I didn't ask for them but I appreciate the new tries.

Now: of your latest designs I like the red one. It is a good concept yet the execution is not that great. Australia's should be written with a capital A. The red shade you chose looks a little boring. The frame you chose for the word number is also plain. I think that changing the shade of red, bevelling a little the whole red circle and doing something to the frame will improve it.

As for your second design, it's not bad but I personally don't like that ribbon thing. I think ribbon doesn't represent something modern, and I am trying to achieve a modern look.

3. karmyoga

karmyoga Banned

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Hi sir, another try :)

[​IMG]

karmyoga, Aug 18, 2007 IP
  4. shibligd

shibligd Guest

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Hi, Protein
    Many thanks from your instructions to me. I will really appreciate that you are giving more attention to my works also, just I was joking to you about focusing to Kia Ora really she is also doing good. Again thankyou to you for feed back.
    I hope now you will get nice and better designs.

shibligd, Aug 18, 2007 IP
  5. proteindude

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Karmy, this is a really good design. In all honesty I am considering it. My mind is far from being made up, but I know whether or not a design is worth considering. I may request some changes in the end, but I can certainly see this on my website (with some minor adjustments).

Shib, it's good to appreciate feedback. Like I said, you just keep on improving, which is a very good and positive sign. So KiaOra is a she. Hard to tell because KiaOra means hello in Maori (the language of the natives of New Zealand). You said: "I hope now you will get nice and better designs." I say: "I know, shibligd WILL do some better designs." What they say? Practice makes perfect or there is no failure except in no longer trying. Thanks for giving my contest your time shib.

6. shibligd

shibligd Guest

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Thanks again for feedbacking really i am getting more information from you
    regarding making layouts and colour shcemes thanks for guidance for improving my work.Now this is my new designs . I hope you will like it.

[​IMG]

shibligd, Aug 18, 2007 IP
  7. Kia Ora

Kia Ora Guest

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0

WOW, I worked on Las Palmas Drive which is one street away from Yarrow.
    It was a print shop and we had a few customers on Yarrow and a print contractor. Small world. I would love to visit Australia.
    I will be taking my 3 year old to Legoland in the fall. He is obsessed with trains.
    I can't wait to see the new logo. I feel honored and it should boost the sales worldwide...:D
    Thanks proteindude for the kind words you said in a few posts back. I'm sure you will choose the logo YOU want or may not choose one at all. With that said, I am submitting another one. (I forgot about your feelings towards Ribbon Art). I don't really care if I win or not. I can't tell you how much I've learned from my vector based program. I can almost create any effect in it that Photoshop has. . . . "almost".

[​IMG]

Disregard the jaggies in the flag. This is not what the real artwork represents.

Kia

Kia Ora, Aug 18, 2007 IP
  8. proteindude

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Shib, much, much better. I am also considering your first design. I can see some real strong improvements. The second one is great also but I just don't like the font you used for 1. However, even your second design has some style in it. That shadowy effect although subtle, does add a nice touch to it. It's these small touches that once you master will turn your works into prized designs.

Kia: the company I was selling for is www.designerwhey.com They WERE the #1 selling protein powder in US. They still claim they are. Anyway, they were based on Yarrow Drive and then moved to Cosmos Court. When I took my wife to US last year she thought I was nuts when I told her I would take her to see some warehouses. "Why would I want to see warehouses?" But when she saw them she was impressed: very nice landscaping and modern, clean looking buildings. And there was also lots of green grass (we have a drought and water restrictions as the moment).
    My younger son was 3 last year when we took him to Legoland. He threw a tantrum when I wanted to take him on a ride because he wanted to look at some trains and ships in the miniland section of Legoland. My younger son is what you call a train freak. He's got the whole Thomas the Train collection (different versions and sizes). But I did let my wife down last year. I was telling her about the flower fields near the factory outlets, but when we went there last year end of March the weather was so cold no flowers were blossomed. Forget about Australia. It's not that nice as US. Plus you have to fly for nearly 17 hours. You got way too many things to do in US than you do in Australia. Australia is nice but still US is the best (my opinion).
    Your new designs also look good. Very nice, very modern and very stylish. Also there is no ribbon :) Thanks for the submissions. I will announce the winner on Tuesday.

9. karmyoga

karmyoga Banned

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Thanks proteindude for your comments. I am ready to apply changes in the design.

karmyoga, Aug 18, 2007 IP
  10. proteindude

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Hi Karmy, your design doesn't need changing. At least not yet. Let me tell you how proteindude operates: I am first of all interested in concepts, especially those that I consider have potential. Yours does have potential. So do a few others. I think it is unfair to ask you to change it and then I may end up choosing someone else's. So what I would rather do, is decide on a concept and once I choose that concept I will ask the owner/winner of the concept to do the changes. So for example if yours won (and it could) I would then ask you to change the colour of 1 to a different one and do the same for the actual background.

As it stands, Kia, Romlin, Shid and your design are the ones I am considering. So I will wait until I decide on a winner on Tuesday and only then I will ask for some small alterations. Let me know if this makes sense.

proteindude, Aug 19, 2007 IP
  11. turns

turns Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    thoughts...

Attached Files:

turns, Aug 19, 2007 IP
  12. proteindude

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Turns, of all the concepts I actually liked yours the best: the one where you had 1 in the middle and the text around it in a circle. The text was written on some kind of a tape (can't find the word). That was a great concept, unfortunately the execution wasn't that great. I think that design could work the best. I feel it's missing the small touches (such as some bevel, a shadow etc) that can make it a winning design. The last two designs you submitted are OK, but nothing special. I feel like these last two can be improved, but if I was you I would concentrate on the one above.

proteindude, Aug 19, 2007 IP
  13. proteindude

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Shib, I want to close this contest in about 24 hours. I can't get this design of yours out of my head (the blueish one). It looks so visible somehow even when it's small. As it looks now I would not choose it because of the colours. Can you try just one version with the number 1 changed to black and the background changed to a golden colour or viceversa?

proteindude, Aug 20, 2007 IP
  14. turns

turns Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Here are my last ideas. Similar to my others of course but I've played around with the colours (a modern colour scheme), I've slightly changed the shape and I've added drop shadows and bevels etc.

Colours can of course be changed to suit.
    Thanks proteindude for this competition. Its been challenging!!

Attached Files:

turns, Aug 20, 2007 IP
  15. sb1234

sb1234 Banned

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sb1234, Aug 20, 2007 IP
  16. proteindude

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Turns, thank you for the new submission. I am still stuck on one of your first designs: the one above. Again, I liked this concept the best just not the execution. I liked it best because even in a small format it still looks highly visible which was one of the things I was after. But the execution was pretty weak as it looked too plain. I don't mind simple but yours was just too plain. The latest designs are hard to read and except for the shadowy efect in the last one (on 1) none of them grabbed me. I mentioned the concept I liked the most (yours) and I was hoping you would add a few touch ups to make it work but for some reason you gave up on it. I edited this post because only after I posted I realised the image I liked wasn't showing. It was the one you did posting #77.

SB, thanks for moving away from the shield. The black shield was a pleasant one but a shield wasn't what I was after. The new designs you did are much closer to what I was after concept wise but they are a little too plain for me to consider them.

I will be closing this in a few hours. I am still waiting for shibligd to do those changes. If he won't I will announce the winner and second place once those hours are up.

Thanks to everyone who participated and I am especially pleased with you guys listening to my feedback and giving this a try.

17. turns

turns Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I've been trying to come up with what you want...just can't think of how to do it...

Attached Files:

turns, Aug 20, 2007 IP
  18. proteindude

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I wish I could tell you how to do it because I like this concept the best. It's very simple and yet visible even when it's small. But it's definitely missing something. I would get rid of that shadowy effect but that is still not enough to make it what I want. It needs that special touch, or those subtle effects to make it work.

19. turns

turns Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    how about this...

Attached Files:

turns, Aug 20, 2007 IP
  20. proteindude

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Sorry turns. I don't think it's an improvement. It's the same problem as before: great concept (I still prefer something similar to your post #77) but it lacks the finishing touches.