1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Logging in to old Geocities accounts

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by josh137, Jul 3, 2005.

Hi. Hopefully this is not too off-topic, but does anyone here know whether it's still possible to log in to an old Geocities account, i.e. an account that was created before the transition to Yahoo Geocities? If not, does Yahoo have any kind of removal policy for old, abandoned web pages? I have a web site which hasn't been updated in over five years and yet there it still is. It contains information which is now dated and needs to be changed, yet other web authors keep indexing it as if it were written yesterday, and I can't get in to either edit it or delete it entirely. Apparently there was once a Transition login feature which allowed you to translate your account over from Geocities to Yahoo, but all I've found are dead links. Thanks for any pointers,

Josh

josh137, Jul 3, 2005 IP
  2. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't have any information for you, unfortunately, but I was just looking at a similar situation of reviving an (almost) dead geocities site. My Geocities login/password doesn't work, but trying to create Yahoo/Geocities account with the same name says the username is already taken. Maybe you could try emailing them. If you find anything out, I would be interested in knowing. :) Sorry for not having anything to help you out with :D

exam, Jul 3, 2005 IP
  3. Roze

Roze Guest

Best Answers:
    Funny, there's an old geocities site that hasn't been updated for 5 years with tons of dead links and bad information keeping me out of the top 10 for my #1 keywords because of tons of old links to it. (most of those links are on old out of date sites themselves)...I was wondering the same thing. haha ;)

Roze, Jul 4, 2005 IP
  4. Arnie

Arnie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Here it's OK. I didn't do anything on the site for 2 years. I had an issue with login too. When I used at geocities.com the member login it didn't work. I used the little login sign on top and was logged in.

Arnie, Jul 4, 2005 IP
  5. josh137

josh137 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all the responses. Arnie is right... the Yahoo Geocities link inserted into these old Geocities pages takes you to a login form which works just fine. Unfortunately for me, Yahoo doesn't associate me with my old web pages; it just offers to help me create new ones. But hopefully the login info will be enough to have Customer Care delete them for me...

Josh

josh137, Jul 5, 2005 IP