1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Log files for monitoring SEO

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by 2ndPlatform, Feb 23, 2005.

Hi everyone --

Okay, so I have a bunch of sites, hosted on a variety of servers. Usually, to look at my logs, I download the raw log files and run them through WebLog Expert Lite. Works fine for the most part...

The part I'm really interested in, obviously, is the referring keywords.

However, some of my sites don't have that information in the logs, for some reason. Does anyone know if there's some sort of configuration you have to have on the hosting server to get that information into the log files?

The server I'm concerned about runs Apache, and is a Linux box. When I pull down the log files and run them through WebLog Expert... the referring keywords aren't reported on there.

Any ideas? Or alternative suggestions to get that information?

Thanks all!
    Shannon

2ndPlatform, Feb 23, 2005 IP
  2. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    They should be embedded as parameters within the referring url. Look up the apache documentation for creating (custom) log files. Maybe there is some option to strip of the parameters from referring urls.
    EDIT: here might be a place to start.

exam, Feb 23, 2005 IP
  3. 2ndPlatform

2ndPlatform Peon

Best Answers:
    Cool -- will look.

Anyone else?

2ndPlatform, Feb 23, 2005 IP