1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Log File Reader

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Jim bob 9 pants, Apr 25, 2005.

Can anyone recommend a good free log file reader

I would like somthing to show bot activity, search phrases, hits, reffers/search engines

I was running a pearl script called whoisonline, but I have a problem with the chomp function and it keeps adding a space into the path for my log files - I dont know how to stop this. Who is online was great for what I wanted, I do not need flash graphs, but I am fed up with trying to read raw data ;)

Thank you for the help

Jim bob 9 pants

Jim bob 9 pants, Apr 25, 2005 IP
  2. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    AWstats is free.

Crazy_Rob, Apr 25, 2005 IP
  3. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Anyone have a way to break awstats to just daily? I use webtrends but would like to stop, but awstats only tallies by month and doesn't let you see just daily activity, KW searches, etc... which I find very useful with webtrends.

debunked, Apr 25, 2005 IP
  4. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Boy, Rob you are becoming a many of many words, now if you started posting more than 3 word sentences again, you would be more interesting. :)

debunked, Apr 25, 2005 IP
  5. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    Whoa, next time I'll be sure to inculde the filler BS-type stuff that you use in your posts.

:p

Crazy_Rob, Apr 25, 2005 IP
  6. Jim bob 9 pants

Jim bob 9 pants Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks rob, I will look at that one. The advantage with the old software I used to use is you could hit keep hitting refresh and watch people work through your site, then wait for the e-mail... bit like fishing really!!

Jim bob 9 pants, Apr 25, 2005 IP
  7. Stin

Stin Guest

Best Answers:
    i use awstats as well.. its pretty good, i would like to see more daily values as well.. just gotta check your stats every 5 minutes like me :)

Stin, Apr 25, 2005 IP
  8. Epica

Epica Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I use AWstats, Webalizer, and Urchin on my main sites - hey I like viewing stats okay :eek: each have their own unique benefits but Urchin is by far the most complete and useful tracking tool - but Awstats has my vote for log viewer - hey who can argue with free..?

Crazy Rob Love Pic (hows that)

Debunked posts longer posts because when you spend you days and nights with 'little people' you LONG for adult conversation even if it is in the form of overly wordy posts ;)

Hey - you spend all day long saying Da da wubs dat widdle buddy, jez he do, eat deem widdle cawwots ooo widdle snooky poo - and you'll find the forums a welcome change....although some of the behavior here is...never mind :rolleyes:

Epica, Apr 25, 2005 IP
  9. kyle422

kyle422 Peon

Best Answers:
    Jim Bob,
    This program should work well for you. I use it and am very happy. They have a free one and a pay version. weblogexpert.com/

kyle422, Apr 25, 2005 IP
  10. TommyD

TommyD Peon

Best Answers:
    Well one thing I can say some log readers will do, that awstats doesn't, give single day break downs. Meaning, you can take a look at a single day's states, what referals that day, what keywords that day, what search engines that day.

Awstats breaks down unques, pay views into days, but stuff like keywords, referrals and errors for for the whole month.

tom

TommyD, Apr 25, 2005 IP
  11. iShopHQ

iShopHQ Peon

Best Answers:
    with weblog expert, both the free and paid versions, you can set the time frame you want to run the the report for: today, yesterday, last 7 last month, etc.

I don't think the free version shows robots or search engine referals though. not sure.

iShopHQ, Apr 27, 2005 IP
  12. kyle422

kyle422 Peon

Best Answers:
    Your right about the free one not showing robots and keywords.

kyle422, Apr 27, 2005 IP
  13. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    Take a look at www.sawmill.net or www.flowerfire.com. The sawmill web log tool is very robust and if you want a fully licensed version w/o paying cash, you can beta test (I did) and get a copy for free. I think it was worth it.

mopacfan, Apr 27, 2005 IP