1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Locked Out Of Hosting Because Too Much Traffic

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by gang3, May 19, 2010.

I Have been locked out of my hosting account i have about 9 websites in there the rent is paid untill the end of may. They Will not let me have access to even move my sites. They say one of my sites got too much traffic. I Have been promoting some of my sites, But it could not be all that much.
    Anyway The way I was promoting could not cause that much traffic. To be shut down. These people are stopping my whole operation. Is There anything I Can do? I JUST WANT TO MOVE MY WEBSITES TO SOMEWHERE SAFE. Gang3

gang3, May 19, 2010 IP
  2. WordpressSEO

WordpressSEO Peon

Best Answers:
    Who are you using as your HOST?

This is interesting.....being "locked out"......Thats.....unethical?

Did you sign up knowing of certain traffic limitations?

How much traffic are you receiving??

WordpressSEO, May 19, 2010 IP
  3. gang3

gang3 Peon

Best Answers:
    Its Hostso They Did not say exactly what the numbers are just told me which domain was getting all the traffic and showed me a still shot
    of of my stats and said it will be unlocked in 4 hours that was 26 hours ago and still no answer from them i have no access to and stats or other info i cannot get into my cpanel at all.

gang3, May 19, 2010 IP
  4. gang3

gang3 Peon

Best Answers:
    I Guess all that hard work promoting back fired its suppose to be unlimited hosting $30.00 for six months not the best but still not free.
    Dont use Host So For anything.

gang3, May 19, 2010 IP
  5. edi90

edi90 Member

Best Answers:
    I think you should go for a dedicated server. Just contact them and get a full backup of your websites.

edi90, May 19, 2010 IP
  6. Imbo

Imbo Member

Best Answers:
    No shared provider offers truely "unlimited hosting", if your traffic or system resources are too much, the hosts reserves the right to request that you move to a more powerful dedicated or vps server or move providers. I would request a pro-rated refund for the months that you have prepaid for, and either backups of your files or their assistance getting everything moved over to another host if you so choose.

Imbo, May 19, 2010 IP
  7. lcwadminbj

lcwadminbj Peon

Best Answers:
    Another case that proves my point that NOTHING is unlimited.

lcwadminbj, May 20, 2010 IP
  8. Alshir827

Alshir827 Peon

Best Answers:
    I feel sorry for you. Any good hosting company should give you "advice" about your present situation before do such drastic measures. Usually, upgrading to delicated server or package. You might want to talk to their tech support first.

Alshir827, May 20, 2010 IP
  9. Rian

Rian Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, go for another hosting provider if needed.

Rian, May 20, 2010 IP
  10. 50plus

50plus Guest

Best Answers:
    >> i have no access to and stats or other info i cannot get into my cpanel at all.

You could FTP to the server and download the site and stats from there.

50plus, May 20, 2010 IP
  11. webmasterplace

webmasterplace Peon

Best Answers:
    I had the same issue with One dot com.
    They were cheap, seemed to offer a lot, but they really suck.
    For a very basic website they are ok, but as soon as I started to get a lot of visitors they were continuously shutting down my website.
    I had too many SQL queries, used too many resources ...

I decided to go to Hostgator. Now I'm very happy with them.

webmasterplace, May 20, 2010 IP
  12. williammfelix

williammfelix Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes.. hostgator is the best so far. even i never had problem with bandwith exceed whatsoever...

I suggest you to move to hostgator. I use it and I'm quite please. There is 3 package. I forgot. Take the middle one. So you could use multiple domain with one package hosting.

Good luck. ;)

williammfelix, May 20, 2010 IP
  13. JonPKibble

JonPKibble Member

Best Answers:
    You get what you pay for. For five bucks a month you aren't going to get "unlimited" anything. Best thing to do at this point is to get your own server for about $100-$150 a month through a dedicated hosting company. On the bright side, having "too much traffic" is definitely a good problem to have. (Unless of course, the bandwidth is being consumed by downloads of movies or other copyrighted content!)

JonPKibble, May 20, 2010 IP
  14. ceaseer

ceaseer Peon

Best Answers:
    Will they allow you to pay for extra bandwidth so you can get back online? There is no reason why they cannot modify your plan to increase the limits. I would focus on getting your sites online and then move your sites over to a different web host.

ceaseer, May 20, 2010 IP
  15. RiArose

RiArose Peon

Best Answers:
    Read their terms & conditions, unlimited web hosting doesn't mean something undefined. In shared hosting, there are limitations and host company enforces some rules since there are other people hosted on the same server with you. I know what you're saying, it happened to one of my net friends too, it was Namecheap who cancelled the webhosting account without notice: dailystab.com admin had linked to that friend's website, and all of a sudden there was huge traffic overflowing. Namecheap said, "get a dedicated server" if so much traffic comes to your site. Now what to say? That package was also unlimited! Something similar happened to you by some other means.

If they've locked your account and doesn't grant you access to copy your contents, send them an email telling them that they cannot get possession of your intellectual property by any means. If something went out of their ToS, you fully agree to shift out of their package, so tell them to give back your data. If they don't, and if you don't want legal hassles, just use web copiers and copy all the contents of website into your HDD and re-upload elsewhere. Next time, talk properly with host company, how much they allow traffic, then only purchase package.

RiArose, May 22, 2010 IP
  16. lcwadminbj

lcwadminbj Peon

Best Answers:
    Well Said RiArose,

I encourage people to talk to me BEFORE signing up for my hosting.
    This allows us to ensure they are getting the packge suitable for their needs,
    And it also allows us to get to know each other a bit.

lcwadminbj, May 22, 2010 IP
  17. Serious Workers

Serious Workers Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    They will tell you how tio upgrade or unlock your site and you should follow the procedures and then after you get your site back, change your host.

Serious Workers, May 22, 2010 IP
  18. AceHigh

AceHigh Peon

Best Answers:
    What we need is a few lawsuits filed against these hosts that advertise 'unlimited' hosting. Maybe filing suit for false advertisement will set some of these jokers straight about misleading consumers to buy their service, thinking they won't have to worry about such issues as bandwidth or disk space. After all, what is the point to advertising "unlimitied" if there really is a limit? One. To get more business. Advertising 'unlimited' (as long as you stay below a certain limit), is *NOT* unlimited service. IT IS FALSE ADVERTISING, NO MATTER WHAT THEY HAVE IN THEIR TERMS. Truly deceptive.

AceHigh, May 25, 2010 IP
  19. seogawd

seogawd Active Member

Best Answers:
    two words : go daddy

there is no close second

seogawd, May 25, 2010 IP
  20. Business Attorney

Business Attorney Active Member

Best Answers:
    gang3, I know this isn't an answer to your question about what you can do to get your data back, but to everyone else who may someday be in your same position, I can just say one thing: BACKUP. You never know when something is going to happen. Maybe the hosting company pulls a trick like Hostso. Maybe they go bankrupt and a creditor seizes the servers, maybe they have a natural disaster. Everyone should regularly back up their entire hosting account (including SQL databases) and store it somewhere else. Don't run the backup routine and then leave the copy sitting on the same server!

Business Attorney, May 25, 2010 IP