1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Local Pack Ranking Dip

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by kmaze, Jul 24, 2020.

I lost local pack rank for "city keyword" and am now in the sixth local pack position, even though I was constantly in the top three previously. For this specific query, I am the top position in SERP. In this city, I have multiple locations, all of which have comparable, if not better ratings and quantity of reviews than the competitors currently in the top 3. I also post to GMB more often than competitors.
    I do/can show up in both the local pack and top position in SERP for "keyword near me."

What's interesting is "different keyword city," which is a more difficult keyword for me to rank in (currently second page), shows one of my locations in the local pack.

Any thoughts? I thought perhaps the deduplication update may have an impact, but I don't believe it should. Thanks.

kmaze, Jul 24, 2020 IP
  2. Oso Optimized

Oso Optimized Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hard to diagnose the problem without having more information, but it sounds like an issue that could be resolved. There was a recent Algo update that affected local results, and you may have been hit by that..

First thing would be to focus on the obvious. Go through your MyBusiness page and make sure you have all addresses correct. Is there by chance a flag on the location that receives the specific city ranking? Google will occasionally toss out your location and require verification. Its all automated, though competitors can also claim a location is closed, etc.

Have you gone through all your citation sites to make sure you have the proper addresses listed? That is one of the biggest ranking factors. Citation sites across the web need to have congruence.

Oso Optimized, Jul 24, 2020 IP