1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Living with AdSense Revenue

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by brucesinner, Jun 7, 2005.

1. brucesinner

brucesinner Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks SGH !

Can you point me somewhere I can learn more of SEO and making more traffic to my website ?

thanks again.

brucesinner, Jun 7, 2005 IP
  2. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    Point you somewhere?
    You mean somewhere else besides this very forum?

I've been trolling/reading this forum since its inception (member.php?u=5) :D and this is my main place of learning. I'd recommend searching these forums and creating threads of the questions you can't find an answer to already, which aren't many if you know how to search for them.

Other than here I'd say search Google. I really don't have other sites I visit/look for SEO tips at.

I subscribe to SearchEngineGuide.com's newsletter and that some good info most of the time, although not very specific, but the ideas are there. I also subscribe to highrankings.com's advisor newsletter. I read them for their ideas and what it makes me think of rather than the direct advice. Their advice is good, don't get me wrong, but most of the time a little basic for how much I already have in my little brain. :) So getting the news about what's coming up and reminding me what I should be doing they are great.

Other than that I just use good old Google for what I want to find out about if I can't find specific answers here. There are a ton of articles about so many different tips for getting more traffic and better conversions.

So yeah .. search search search, read search, and read.
    Then try it all out, experiment, cry, try something else, celebrate, and repeat. :)

This is why you should write/make a site about your passion.
    And remember that if you aren't having fun, or like what you are doing, you aren't going to be very successful.

BTW, I like your avatar, the emperor has never looked so menacing.
    Star Wars nerds for liiiife!

Such Great Heights, Jun 7, 2005 IP
  3. paymentapprovaltooslow

paymentapprovaltooslow Banned

Best Answers:

You will need people linking to your site. That takes time and you site must have a alot of content. Work on content, then SEO.

paymentapprovaltooslow, Jun 7, 2005 IP
  4. Imran

Imran Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Now yu are comming to the point!
    by the way my name is IMRAN not irnam, make the correction!
    You need to buy links, post in free non reciprocal directories, have good keywords for your site so that google and other search engines crawl your site often enough to send you some traffic, there are sites who offer traffic with little $$. As smith said having good and quality content and good backlinks it self enough to get traffic from search engines!
    I hope you continue to build a quality site. And wait for your CTR to improve!
    You can also use images just above the google ads to improve your CTR as we all have a good success with that!
    I dont make living with Adsense but its good enough money to stick to adsense!
    I have seen people make from 100+ to 2000+$ a day! Try to aim for that!
    Best of luck!

Imran, Jun 7, 2005 IP
  5. tlainevool

tlainevool Guest

Best Answers:
    An important point to note is that he doesn't depend on just the AdSense program. He definitely diversifies. In the quoted post, he says

tlainevool, Jun 7, 2005 IP
  6. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    brucesinner: where to learn about SEO - you're in the place, right here :)
    There is a wealth of knowledge within these forums, and by the time you've exhausted that knowledge you'll be making that much money you won't care ;).
    I've put together a beginners site (http://search-engine-optimization.online-site.net) which might help get you started. There are many others on these forums who also have some very good sites with information on SEO and monetizing websites - just read through the forums and checkout peoples signatures.

jlawrence, Jun 8, 2005 IP
  7. davert

davert Banned

Best Answers:
    At the moment, I could be living off AdSense, I'll admit that, and because of it, I can work on my sites part time. HOWEVER, I still keep my "primary" profession going because I remember what happened a few years back.

Anyone remember the Luna Network?

Guaranteed $7.50 CPMs...on forums and everything! I was getting $4,500 a month and this was back a few years.

One day they announced moving to a new model where they passed through a percentage of what they really got. First month, I got $2,200. Then the next month Ford had an ad campaign, something like "our cars don't all explode all the time," and GM had a "Oldsmobile's going away so get one now" campaign. The under-filled autos line suddenly because popular and I got a $10,000 check! Very nice! and then the next month it was back to $4,000, and then they switched to "Java windows" where the ads took up most of the screen around my site, and that kept the income going, but eventually it was down to $600 a month. That's $600. It stayed there for a couple of years as I recall though maybe it just seemed like that.

I can't say how much I'm getting from AdSense, obviously (TOS). However, I will say that after the ad bubble burst before, I'm hesitant to rely on it again, especially given that companies have a tendency to do what is in their short-term best interest. If Google decided that they wanted to keep 80% of revenue to themselves, who would stop them? What alternatives are there - good alternatives? Those of you who have been cut from AdSense have probably tried without success to match 'em. And AdSense is *relatively* non-sleazy.

Back to banners? Ten cents per thousand impressions or so? Or pop-unders? Boy, people LOVe those. And the banners are mostly horrible - animations, attempts to download spyware, misleading ads for utilities, etc., etc.

I will say one thing - if you get a good sponsor, or a series of them, you can actually do better than Google. (That's assuming you have a content-focused site and you're not in it just for the money.) Good ad rotation software, a bunch of sales calls, and you may be doing quite well.

... my sites pay for the time I take off from work to work on them, and for my computer, software, and equipment. I'm not in it for the money but if it weren't for the money, I wouldn't be as far in it.

davert, Jun 8, 2005 IP