1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Linux Security with separate partitions /, /home, /usr, /var etc..

Discussion in 'Security' started by leadinmarketing, Sep 2, 2014.

Hello. This may Not be 10% the correct area to post, but it is in regards to security and modularity(,- Dont know if thats a word)...

Anywho. I am going to Install Linux (Ubuntu) on a fresh drive to dual boot with my windows 8.1. I see some people recommending to create separate partitions for the possible areas of Linux. And then I see some people saying Forget that, its not necessary. I am pretty much brand new to Linux, but I believe you have the option for root \, \home, \var, \usr, and the other partition for the fake ram :D .Scratch? I dont know. Moving forward.

What are the options. And what do YOU recommend? Is it necessary for all these separate partitions?... It will be a dedicated 120gb SSD. I will use it for developing. No games or storage besides the very basic stuff. I have a separate storage drive.

If you do recommend the separate partitions, which ones, and what sizes? ... OS 40gb, 20gb for the fake ram(I have 16gb ram in my PC), and the rest of the storage for.....?

leadinmarketing, Sep 2, 2014 IP
  2. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I recommend that since you are new to Linux, that you start learning it by virtualizing it inside of Windows using VirtualBox as I mentioned in your other thread. It is so much easier. When you learn a few things, then you can get more complex going to a dual boot system if you want.

billzo, Sep 2, 2014 IP
  3. leadinmarketing

leadinmarketing Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Responded in other thread.... Can anyone else chime in

leadinmarketing, Sep 4, 2014 IP
  4. kailash

kailash Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with @billzo. Use virtualbox instead of installing a separate OS. Also you mentioned that you are new to Linux so while installing Linux if you make any mistake, you will not be able to boot your system.

kailash, Sep 5, 2014 IP
  5. scott_r

scott_r Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I third Virtualbox! It's just a great free application.

But if your computer doesn't support that kind of virtualization or you just want to dual boot, I'd recommend just doing everything on a single partition. You can just have your Linux partition and the swap and be just fine. Check out Fedora or Ubuntu if you want a good and easy installer.

scott_r, Apr 23, 2015 IP
  6. bryc3

bryc3 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    For one: I you use multiple paritions, use LVM to be able to resize them afterwards. My recommendation: If you only use one disk and if you dont have any special requirements (like different filesystems for different workloads), dont bother. On a desktop / laptop machine, it is far more important to encrypt root and home than it is to split things up.

bryc3, Sep 2, 2015 IP