1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Linksys WRT54G + WAP54G Repeating Mode

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cencurut, Feb 13, 2006.

Hi guys...

Last 3 week i buy 1 units of Linksys WRT54G (ver 5) and 2 unit of WAP54G (ver 3). From the vendor information, i tried to set this thing up to create a 400 meter of WiFi Coverage... But to no avail...

I try the AP mode function on WAP54G to reflect the wireless MAC address of the WRT54G. But it didn't repeat the wifi signal....

Later on... i found that all my equipment firmware is old enough to support this function..

Then.. after i downloaded the new firmware for each equipment and done some testing.. I happen to create a Auto Roaming WiFi services with single SSID.

So your wondering how it works

Well here goes - its the same for both setup's

WRT54G Configuration
    IP 192.168.1.1
    SSID linksys
    Channel 7
    Encryption off
    SSID Broadcast on
    WDS Enabled
    WDS MAC Address = WAP54G MAC Address (unit only has one)

WAP54G Configuration
    IP 192.168.1.245
    SSID linksys
    Channel 7
    Encryption off
    SSID Broadcast on
    WDS Enabled
    WDS MAC Address = WRT54G Wireless MAC Address

Note : WRT54G has 3 MAC Addresses LAN, WAN & Wireless. The Wireless MAC can be found under Status > Wireless

Two wireless Laptops were used one with a static IP and one with a DHCP IP. Both worked fine.

cencurut, Feb 13, 2006 IP
  2. forkqueue

forkqueue Guest

Best Answers:
    I have 1x WRT54G and 1x WRT54GS set up like this (WDS) and they work superbly. I'm using the OpenWRT firmware on mine.

forkqueue, Feb 13, 2006 IP
  3. cencurut

cencurut Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh .. you use OpenWRT right.. i haven't try it yet...

Last time i'm thinking to try Alchemy... but as the cost to acquire it is high enough for me... then i scrapped the idea down.. hehehe

cencurut, Feb 13, 2006 IP