1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Links to non-existent files crash memory with MAMP on a Mac

Discussion in 'Apache' started by PHP Bear, Sep 28, 2014.

I bought a new MacBook Pro laptop last spring. I was disappointed with the way it handles memory, especially with browsers. But I got by - until recently.

A few days ago, my memory began spiking, almost crashing my computer. An Apple tech helped me track the problem to Apache - the one bundled with MAMP. He checked a system log that showed a page crashing because it's linked to a CSS file that doesn't exist. Most of the memory freezes result from links to non-existent images.

I should mention that I've been upgrading my websites, with many changes. I've changed all my URL's to lower case, with underscores replaced by dashes. So a link to World/New_York is now world/new-york. That's why I have so many pages with bad links (which I'm fixing as fast as I can).

I modified Apache on my online web servers so that links automatically default to lower case with dashes. I think I made the same change on my computer, though I have to look through my notes to remember exactly how I did it.

But I think things were generally OK until recently. I noticed this specific problem just a few days ago. I thought it might be the result of some software upgrade. However, I upgraded MAMP just today - AFTER the problem began. The upgrade didn't fix it.

Anyone, have any of you experienced this problem with Mac / Mavericks / MAMP Pro? Do you know how I can tell Apache to ignore links to non-existent files and stop crashing my computer? If there's a way to tell Apache to show a warning, that would be great. But I don't have time to battle my memory 24/7.

Thanks.

PHP Bear, Sep 28, 2014 IP