1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Links made similar to the text. Are they hidden?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Alshurf, Sep 29, 2004.

Hello!

I need an advice. Can anybody help me?

Here is my situation: Every keyword in text has link to corresponding page. To make it looks not so ugly these links are made similar to the text (the some colour as text has, no underlining). These links are visible only when mouse is over them. Will they be defined as a spam, as hidden links?

All answers are greatly appreciated. Thank`s

Alshurf, Sep 29, 2004 IP
  2. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would not consider them as spam, but I am not an SE. From what I have seen that would not be spam. Unless you fill the page with keywords and links and there is not flow to what you are doing. People (generally) need the underline or another way to know it is a link, so you may want to consider that.

NewComputer, Sep 29, 2004 IP
  3. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    To make the link less ugly (i.e., avoiding the underlining) and still make it clear it's a link, try using a different color for links or bolding the link, similar to how it's done in forums like this one.

minstrel, Sep 29, 2004 IP
  4. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Why do you say 'Every keyword in text has link to corresponding page' WHy are you doing this? 20 links to the same page with the same word is NOT going to count as 20 backlinks, and might well trip a filter for spam..

Look at it clearly here. WHY are you doing this? If you have a link, then you want the visitor to click on it right? Then why are you hiding the link? Simple, because you are trying to be deceptive, no other reason. You can dress it up as much as you like, but if your honest your linking simply for the benefit of the search engine algorithm, and not for visitors.

The rules of usability are simple, links must be clearly identifiable as links be they in a different colour (which is acceptable, or in a block on a different colour background, or in a box all grouped together. What your suggesting is not acceptable now is it?

Old Welsh Guy, Sep 29, 2004 IP
  5. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    No... Don't bold the link or make it italic.

By all means change the colour, just don't make it bold or italic.

SEbasic, Sep 29, 2004 IP
  6. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why not bold or italicize?

NewComputer, Sep 29, 2004 IP
  7. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Because if you roll over the link, the whole layout of the page is changed...

It's fine using bold or italic in links, as long as when you roll over them, the format doesn't change back to non-bold/italic.

It drives me nuts when I go to a site, and roll over a link, then it changes to bold or italic, because all the copy moves across the screen.

SEbasic, Sep 29, 2004 IP
  8. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    ???

I don't understand -- why would it do this? But anyway, I wasn't suggesting a rollover effect -- that also hides the link for visitors. I was suggesting a static bold or italic, although I would agree a slightly different color is preferable.

minstrel, Sep 29, 2004 IP
  9. aenigma

aenigma Peon

Best Answers:
    Use a color that is not so different from the normal text, in a site I was using black for text ahd dark gray for link, the result looks good and the link was visible. Maybe You can use the same method with other colors.

aenigma, Sep 30, 2004 IP
  10. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    I think he means adding bolding when the link is active so that when you mouseover it, it moves the rest of the text on the page.

exam, Sep 30, 2004 IP
  11. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah... Sorry :)

SEbasic, Sep 30, 2004 IP