1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

"links.html" not passing PR?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by mxlabs, Jul 20, 2004.

somebody on this forum recently posted that sites named "links.html" did not pass pagerank after the last update (the one before the BL update perhaps).

can anybody verify this please?

mxlabs, Jul 20, 2004 IP
  2. North Carolina SEO

North Carolina SEO Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This seems to be inaccurate! There are a number of rumors regarding links and resource pages. I have as yet never seen research results confirm that these do not pass PR.

Note: there are a number of websites that will not trade links to links pages.

This may be reason enough to change the name of the files. IMHO. :)

North Carolina SEO, Jul 20, 2004 IP
  3. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    Good question, but how could we tell short of making a SEO test for indications? For the first time my links page is not showing up in any of my clients selection of pages Google is showing as a backlinks. However is this enough to conclude it is not passing page rank? I think not.

One way around this possibility would probably be to put some meat on the bones of those links which would totally ruin useability of pages for anything other than spam. Search Engine Optimization in many instances is in direct opposition to producing attractive user friendly webs.

I for one do not believe changing the names of a links page makes any difference. Google well knows the term "resources" etc is just another word for links.

Shannon

Smyrl, Jul 20, 2004 IP
  4. nohaber

nohaber Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why would Google waste their time with such "dumb" algo patches?
    1. it won't improve the SERPs
    2. even if it does, sooner or later all such pages will be renamed, so this is a stupid solution
    3. every search engine puts effort into algo improvements that don't have easy workarounds

The perfect search engine ranking algorithm should be able to rank the results very well, even if everyone knew its ranking details.

Example: Everyone can learn the PageRank specifics, but apart from buying PageRank, there's no other easy way to get it. That's a great solution. Patching complex software with lame specific cases such as "links.html" does not work in the long run, and no search engine engineer is ever going to think about such "solutions".

There was an interview with a major person at Google, who said that every algorithmic change requires about 6 months of developing, thorough testing, debugging etc. before going live. What's the point of wasting resources on alog patches that are guaranteed to fail in the long run?

Enough said.

nohaber, Jul 20, 2004 IP
    mxlabs likes this.
  5. candysmith

candysmith trying not to be evil

Best Answers:
    I have seen some BL coming from .links.html pages in my back links as well as mine showing up on others... so that can't be.

candysmith, Jul 20, 2004 IP
  6. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It did seem to be the case about 2 or 3 months ago, but only during one back link update, it's back to "normal" now though.

digitalpoint, Jul 20, 2004 IP
  7. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    There is a test, Do search engines penalize pages named links.shtml?, running right now. Reliable results are not expected until the next PR/Backlink update.

Will.Spencer, Jul 20, 2004 IP
  8. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    Great. I will be interested in hearing/reading your report.

My links pages all showed up until this backlink change. 20 of the pages I follow dropped drastically in number of shown backlinks but if you use the @www.domain.com command they seem to be present. One page picked up one more link that previous showing and my e-commerce site jumped from 22 to 123 reported links. The 123 links had been in place forever. Wish I could discern why that site is showing nearly all its links and others so few.

Shannon

Smyrl, Jul 20, 2004 IP
  9. spyder

spyder Peon

Best Answers:
    <<<<
    somebody on this forum recently posted that sites named "links.html" did not pass pagerank after the last update
    <<<<
    All kinds of dumb comments are posted on forums - does not seem to be in G's interest to do so as alot of genuine votes/one way links come from websites (often without even a reciprocal linking programme) with a links.htm page!

spyder, Aug 6, 2004 IP
  10. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    here i will repost this

For all your people who think the problem of "links" pages in nonsense

I can tell you that you are wrong in my experience

I created a link directory in which the main page was "links.php"

linking from "links.php" where the categories depending on the site

I then installed the link directories on 26 sites

NOT one site , 26 different websites

A awhile went by and all the sites shortly after had pr 5-4

But I noticed that non of the links pages had pr

actually not all but about 22-23 sites

I did site searches on the sites and non of the pages BENEATH the "links.php" page where in the index on like 22 sites

The pattern that the sites had in common was that they had the "links.php" and also the only link to that links page had "links" in the anchor text

the sites that used the same directory but used different anchortext to point at the main links page got spidered in and got pr.

So then I decided on most of the effected sites to link the linkspages right from the homepage

but I left some alone

Shortly after the sites that had the direct links had their links pages in the index , next pr update they had pr

the ones I left alone never got indexed

So then I changed them all

Now to clarify the actually text on the "links.php" got spidered in, it was the pages that where linked from it and only it that didn't spidered

At the time it was very difficult to find "links"* backlinks that is no longer the case

ferret77, Aug 8, 2004 IP