1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Links.com

Discussion in 'Placement / Reviews / Examples' started by richrf, Dec 17, 2006.

1. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I have absolutely no intention of disppointing you or any other web developer who might want a site that is useful for continuing the evolution of the Web. It may take a while to come up with the right idea, but given enough time, I think links.com can develop into something interesting. I think there is something to say for simple link sites, since they do attract people. But how to evolve that concept into something that can have high value. That is the question I am posing to myself right now. There are some ideas coming to mind.

Thanks much for your comments. Greatly appreciated.

Rich

richrf, Dec 27, 2006 IP
  2. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks. As you can tell, I am trying to do justice to the name. Wish me luck.

Rich

richrf, Dec 27, 2006 IP
  3. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I am wondering if there is something that I can do, that can go beyond this concept. Something that is very high quality, and of benefit to developers and visitors. Very useful and minimalistic. This is what I think would be bringing the concept to the next level.

Rich

richrf, Dec 27, 2006 IP
  4. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is what I am getting at. I want great content, that is organized, useful, assists developers in promoting uniqueness and excellence (listings would be free and based solely on value), and instantly rewarding for visitors. This would be something that would be something special for everyone. A win-win-win (developers, visitors, me).

Rich

richrf, Dec 27, 2006 IP
  5. frisby

frisby Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    IMO you must sit down and to think over what do you want, because you have good stuff in your hands and you should do something good.

And I would suggest to invest some money in this project, for example to hire some trustful programers (if you are not expert on this area) to build application you want.

BTW, you have any other that good domain?

frisby, Dec 28, 2006 IP
  6. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Frisby,

I agree and it is what I am intending to do. Right now, after all of the discussion on this forum, I am thinking this:

1) The site should be dedicated to displaying excellence and uniqueness. It should exist to foster and reward creativity. Like a public gallery.

2) Listings should be free, so that everyone has equal access to the platform.

3) The selections should be juried to reflect a wide breadth of tastes and perspectives.

4) All selected sites should be informative and/or generate new discussion, so that there is a benefit to the public that comes and visits.

I think something like this is doable, but I am still brainstorming. But this is where I am at right now.

Sorry, I do not have any other domains. Thanks much for your encouragement.

Regards,
    Rich

richrf, Dec 28, 2006 IP
  7. frisby

frisby Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hey. If I can say something...

Well, I think that your concept is not OK. You have domain for a massive traffic, not something associated with "art on net". Your domain is for daily visitors and daily traffic and daily fun and in general for all types of people (probably teenagers mostly), not just for webmasters and those who likes some internet ideas.

With this kind of domain IMO you can easily get 50k - 100k uniques per day with some average fun site.

frisby, Dec 28, 2006 IP
  8. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I think fun is great, and there are many sites on the net today that definitely aim for this audience. I would like to do something different, if at all possible. I am interested in coming up with something that is truly innovative and useful to a very large number of people and accenuates quality. It can be fun also (why not?), but I do not feel that this is necessarily the guiding principle. Today the top sites on the net (e.g. Yahoo, Google, MSN), are not necesssarily about fun, but instead are about helping people find the information they are looking for and doing it rather quickly. Google hopes that its link methodology also helps to identify quality. In some cases yes, in other cases no.

In anycase, there are some very good sites that are overlooked, and can be of great help to people, simply because these sites do not have the connections or money. I would like to make these sites visible to people who may benefit from them. This idea may not germanate, and this will be decided over time. But I would like to give it a chance.

However, I am open. But somehow, another site with links to fun stuff that people can comment on seems a bit done to me. How about you?

Best,
    Rich

richrf, Dec 28, 2006 IP
  9. frisby

frisby Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Could be true yes, but there are two things in your case.

You have fantastic domain and this is power against other sites and you can turn things around a little (kind of little catch) and site will be first and #1 in this funny and links niche.

frisby, Dec 28, 2006 IP
  10. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    I hope I can find something useful and innovative. I would then feel good about how the domain is being used. Thanks for your input. Very much appreciated.

Rich

richrf, Dec 28, 2006 IP
  11. frisby

frisby Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good luck! :)

frisby, Dec 28, 2006 IP
  12. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Frisby. I hope it goes well, of course. BTW, if you have any proposals, ideas, etc. or if you know of anyone who does, please get in touch with me, so we can discuss. I am always open to innovative ideas and would love to pursue them in an incremental fashion.

Regards,
    Rich

richrf, Dec 28, 2006 IP
  13. Newyorker

Newyorker Active Member

Best Answers:
    Just wondering what theme you are using?

Newyorker, Dec 29, 2006 IP
  14. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I modified Brajwshwar.

Rich

richrf, Dec 29, 2006 IP
  15. brentl

brentl Peon

Best Answers:
    If you ask me this domain deserves far more than a blog, directory or forum. The right idea for this domain could me hundreds of thousands of dollars per month. I wouldn't sell the domain, I'd develop a unique links service on it.

brentl, Dec 29, 2006 IP
  16. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi there,

Yes, I agree. I would like to do something special. I am currently looking for the right kind of developer to help me make something of this site. If you are interested in making some proposal on how to incrementally build this site, please let me know. I will be advertising on Guru.com after the New Years. If anyone else has any suggestions on where I might look for assistance in the development of links.com, I would greatly appreciate it. I am getting traction, but I agree, there is an idea out there somewhere that will make this very big.

Thanks again for your comments,
    Regards,
    Rich

richrf, Dec 29, 2006 IP
  17. Claymation

Claymation Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh, this guy's PM box has got to be filling up fast by would-be entrepreneurs looking to "help".
    HAHAHA

Claymation, Dec 29, 2006 IP
  18. Claymation

Claymation Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd say get rid of the Google search box at the top of the right column, for starters.
    You can find your own site search tool for that purpose.
    Looking at that, it tells me that ads- lots of ads- are about to be thrown at me as I scroll down.
    ......and I was right!

Nice looking page- but get some help and turn it into something that you can make a living with.
    Oh- and beware of trolls- you are probably getting them by now.

Claymation, Dec 29, 2006 IP
  19. funkymario

funkymario Notable Member

Best Answers:
    perfect domain, whatever u do with it, i wish u good luck

funkymario, Dec 29, 2006 IP
  20. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    The Google search is a two edge sword. It does a good search on my site, as well as provide some possibility of revenue. However, you are right, the top searches are very likely to pull some visitors away from my site. It's a tough call, but I will take your advice and experiment with just having search for my site and see what happens. Thanks.

Much appreciate the warning. I have been in business and computer technology for over 35 years. (At one time I was a "guru" in my own sphere of influence. :) ). I have seen pretty much everything - much worse and much better than what I think most professionals experience in their lifetime. There is no sure way to avoid problems, but I have found a good way is to do everything incrementally and give it time. This seems to work well. I am in for the long haul, and that gives me plenty of time.

Thanks again for your help. I will be making the changes that you suggested.

Best,

Rich

richrf, Dec 29, 2006 IP