1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Links.com

Discussion in 'Placement / Reviews / Examples' started by richrf, Dec 17, 2006.

Hi everyone,

Would appreciate some advice on ad placement for my newly launched directory www.links.com. Also, the ads on the home page do not seem relevant though the category pages are. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Rich

richrf, Dec 17, 2006 IP
    Bean likes this.
  2. sri

sri Active Member

Best Answers:
    That's a v. good domain you've got!

You may want to change the wording "Subscribe to Links" as it's misleading. 'Ads by Google' appears right below it. I read that either you should have a separator from the content or write 'Sponsors' or s'thing like that over there.

sri, Dec 17, 2006 IP
  3. adsenser

adsenser Peon

Best Answers:
    Is it directory or blog?? .. its blog

your URL is the best , probably worth high $x,xxx

adsenser, Dec 17, 2006 IP
  4. YahDude

YahDude Active Member

Best Answers:
    wow, i would kill for that domain, congrats man. I like the placement, wow, great domain lol

YahDude, Dec 17, 2006 IP
  5. klown

klown Peon

Best Answers:
    If i was you I would make a very nice directory out of this, make some kind of link selling service, or a link related forum.

This domain is incredibly good for branding.

This could be a great domain for an forum about links which could have a great marketplace..

klown, Dec 17, 2006 IP
  6. phree_radical

phree_radical Peon

Best Answers:
    I would try moving the banner unit underneath the header further down maybe 50px at a time and testing that :D

If "Subscribe to Links" is attempting to be misleading, I don't think it would actually do anything. I assume, not worth the possible ban.

You can have other things above or below the "Ads by Gooooogle" link though so brains don't notice it 'cause they think it belongs to something else.

P.S. I like the blog entries.

P.P.S. Have you taken a look at all the links left over in Google's index from the previous owner? I'm not sure if those could possibly benefit you in some way after all but my instinct would tell me to have them removed

P.P.P.S. If I owned a domain name as great as that, I would be forced to think long and hard about ReviewMe. I would be super cautious about risking the site's relationship with Google by offering any type of paid linkage. On the other hand, I don't even see it in the results for 'links best of the best'... maybe it was hurt by the spammy links in the index?

Good luck!

phree_radical, Dec 17, 2006 IP
  7. xenyo

xenyo Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, definately alot of ideas for that name.....

How did you get it if you dont mind me asking.

As for your question ... its a blog at the moment so look at other blogs and experiment. As many others have said though, I think you should spend a bit of time working on a service for such a good name, then think about placement.

xenyo, Dec 17, 2006 IP
  8. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Would something like Subscribe to Feedburner work? Thanks for the heads up.

Rich

richrf, Dec 17, 2006 IP
  9. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Adsenser,

It is a combination. I wanted something that can describe the best of the best sites, allow for comments and recommendations, and permit categorization. So the blog format, as opposed to the directory format, seemed best. I want to make it very interactive, but also very exclusive. Listings are free. Hope this answers your question.

Regards,
    Rich

richrf, Dec 17, 2006 IP
  10. check

check Guest

Best Answers:
    I'll get that domain off your hands for $50.00 ;)

check, Dec 17, 2006 IP
  11. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    lol :) Hope you don't! But please stop by with any recommendations and suggestions that you have. I hope to make this a meaningful site by informing visitors of the Best of the Best that is available on the Web. Right now the intention is to limit each category to ten listings. Even less if less will do. Thanks for your comments.

Rich

richrf, Dec 17, 2006 IP
  12. klown

klown Peon

Best Answers:
    Honestly this domain is worth quite a bit, so unless your really going to invest your time in it I would recommend selling it for a pretty penny. If you choose to do a blog you should hire a pro designer to make it look great then have a writer create good link related content. Do interviews with some of the larger SEO stars etc. all with a focus on links.

Of course with a blog your focus will be on making it something people will want to read so it will take time and effort.

klown, Dec 18, 2006 IP
  13. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Thanks for all of the suggestions and comments. I'll be looking at all of them carefully.

There is no intent to charge for paid links. The site is moderated and we will be listing only the very best sites. We will monetize via ads, such as adsense. I was not familiar with reviewme, but I will definitely take a look at it. I really appreciate all of your comments and thanks for the kind words about our site comments. I hope you come back often and help us build the site. It will be small, but hopefully very useful. If you have any site suggestions, please let us know.

Regards,
    Rich

richrf, Dec 18, 2006 IP
  14. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks much for your suggstions. I've owned the name for quite some time. But I have been very busy with other aspects of my life to put the time into it. I have decided that I will now try to develop a really useful site. I hope it does add some value to the Web.

Regards,
    Rich

richrf, Dec 18, 2006 IP
  15. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the comments. I am experimenting at this time. When I believe the site is ready, I definitely will try to add more value to it. But I think this is a mult-year process, and we will pace myself accordingly. Let me know if you have any recommendations. I am always willing to add or change direction, if I believe it adds value to our visitors.

Thanks again,
    Rich

richrf, Dec 18, 2006 IP
  16. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hmmmmm ... you've got my attention. :)

Rich

richrf, Dec 18, 2006 IP
  17. xenyo

xenyo Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually Rich,

I would agree with Klown...

The name justifies quite alot of time/money to be spent on it. Adsense should probably not be the main money maker on it in my view.

If you dont have the time or dosh to spend on the site, maybe you should consider seeing how much you can get for the name. You may be surprised. basically an analysis of how much you are expecting to make vs how much you can sell the domain for.

If you want to make a worth while site then you can use that money to develop a site more quickly/efficiently and buying a domain name of lesser quality.

Just my thoughts... and good luck.

xenyo, Dec 18, 2006 IP
  18. phree_radical

phree_radical Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't even think about accepting any offers of less than $100,000

I would accept $50,000 if I was sure that I wasn't supposed to have that site and should spend my time on something different p;

phree_radical, Dec 18, 2006 IP
  19. mikkom

mikkom Active Member

Best Answers:
    With domain that good if you don't have the experience or money to develop it, you should try to find someone who does and do some kind of a profit share deal with him (domain is so valuable that I bet you could get something like 80% of the profits) so that someone will provide the technical things and marketing and you'll provide the domain name.

Or you could just sell it for $XXX,000 - even more. What I'm really interested is how did you get that domain and how much did you pay for it or are you the person who originally registered it at 1998?

Good luck!

mikkom, Dec 18, 2006 IP
  20. JRayers

JRayers Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just to put it into perspective you could easily turn this domain into your full time job such is the quality of it. While adding value to the web is good in some respects, it takes time and commitment to produce for minimal return.

My personal view would be to turn this into a money making machine. I don't know one person that wouldn't think twice about a paid listing on such a high class domain. The pure age of the domain (approaching 9 years registered) is sure to get a lot of interest in itself.

I don't think selling the name is the right thing to do however. Continue to sit on it and it's value will continue to increase.

JRayers, Dec 18, 2006 IP