1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Linking to a product

Discussion in 'Commission Junction' started by Mister Tut, Dec 5, 2005.

I am a relative noob with CJ affiliates, but i am signed up for two of 'em and I can't figure one certain thing out.

Does the CJ affiliate program support linking to individual items, or only the page links they supply?

I want to market the blue, left-handed widget, not just a page full of widgets or the "Search our Widgets!" page.

I can get more specific if needed, but I hope there's a general answer.:confused:

Mister Tut, Dec 5, 2005 IP
  2. stephfoster

stephfoster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Probably depends on whether or not the merchant has links to products available. If you don't see that option, I don't know if you can do it on your own. It looks like that function is finally working again - I wasn't getting any results on product searches for a long time!

stephfoster, Dec 5, 2005 IP
  3. dct

dct Finder of cool gadgets

Best Answers:
    I've found you can with some but not others, look for a generic text link that when you go advanced has an option to enter the destination URL.

dct, Dec 5, 2005 IP
  4. ahearn

ahearn Peon

Best Answers:
    Some CJ merchants are very good about providing specific product links, but most don't do it at all -- too much work I suppose. Wal-Mart is the best I've seen for providing product links, and they keep them updated and fresh. Sharper Image was pretty good at it when I was using them about a year ago -- but only for certain promotional products, not all products.

ahearn, Dec 14, 2005 IP
  5. SiCK

SiCK Peon

Best Answers:
    Walmart is on CJ? Is there an external datafeed?

edit: Ah, they are on linkshare .. sigh ... I signed up anyway.

SiCK, Dec 14, 2005 IP
  6. James - AMWSO

James - AMWSO Peon

Best Answers:
    If the merchant pays for a product catalog on CJ they'll have indivdual links to products...Otherwise probably not if they sell lots of products...

This costs $500+ to implement, plus a load of time to get everythnig up and running which is why many merchants don't offer this...

James - AMWSO, Dec 14, 2005 IP
  7. ahearn

ahearn Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry...Walmart is on Linkshare, not CJ, but provide great product-specific ads. Edmunds.com is on CJ and I use their "product" links to link directly to specific car brands.

ahearn, Dec 15, 2005 IP
  8. bamb0lin

bamb0lin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ahearn do you just copy and paste html from the advanced options? What if they change or stop selling that particular product that you are selling? Do you keep on checking if the product is still produced?

I really appreciate if you answer my query :) Thanks!

bamb0lin, Feb 1, 2006 IP
  9. 5starAffiliates

5starAffiliates Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    HI guys,

I have set up lots of CJ links from the merchant side. The merchant if he knows the benefits can set up an option to allow you to change the link to any page you want.

Now not talking product links right now just regular banners and text links. To change the link to a different page if the merchant allows it -
    Get HTML>>Show Advanced Options>>then add the url.

bamb0lin
    Smart merchants have products that are out of stock go to a category page or a similar product. If the page itself goes missing the link will show up in your invalid links report. If the product is out of stock and the page is valid, you would not know it unless you kept checking. Thats one of the HUGE benefits of using a feed and keeping it updated with a chron job or something. You always have the current inventory and prices.

5starAffiliates, Feb 1, 2006 IP
  10. skimmy

skimmy Peon

Best Answers:
    5startAffiliates, if you don't mind me asking how do i know what to link to if I am using adwords directly to the merchants. I have found a few merchants that allow that but when i got to build a 'keyword link' i'm not given any sort of a url to point it to.

skimmy, Feb 2, 2006 IP
  11. justinwp

justinwp Peon

Best Answers:
    the merchants I have through cj all have fairly well developed individual product links

justinwp, Feb 2, 2006 IP
  12. jovigirl

jovigirl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    but many of them have over 1000+ products and that makes it impossible to browse thru them

jovigirl, Feb 7, 2006 IP