1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Link Verbiage?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by rhinoplayer, Jul 27, 2004.

I have a new site that promotes laser cutting, laser engraving, and laser systems.

For my links should I be using site name of 'Laser Cutting, Laser Engraving, and Laser Systems' or is it enough just to put Laser Cutting, Engraving, Systems'???

Thanks!

rhinoplayer, Jul 27, 2004 IP
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Proximity of words plays a role so a search for Laser Systems relates better to your title (site name?) when it says Laser Systems. Then it is an exact match.

T0PS3O, Jul 27, 2004 IP
  3. duncan pollock

duncan pollock Peon

Best Answers:
    I can't quite agree. Laser Systems is too broad a phrase. It takes in such other laser uses as alignment, measurement, and military guidance.
    I'd suggest that Laser Cutting and Engraving Systems is the best choice of title. The "Laser Cutting, Engraving, Systems" phrase can actually be dubbed as "poor English." :(

Duncan

duncan pollock, Jul 27, 2004 IP
  4. steve5jack

steve5jack Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with Duncan. "Laser Cutting and Engraving Systems" should be the best choice for both the search engines and for human readability.

Brings up an interesting question though. Say 'Laser systems' was not so ambiguous and you wanted all three in your anchor text. Is "Laser Cutting, Engraving, and Systems" preferable to "Laser Cutting, Laser engraving, and Laser systems" ???

Maybe you also then rotate the order of the three words so each is closest to Laser for some links.

steve5jack, Jul 27, 2004 IP
  5. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    Minor language note:

"verbiage" does not mean "words" or "language": it refers to a gross excess of words for the purpose at hand.

Owlcroft, Jul 28, 2004 IP
  6. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I think it's not about whether it is too broad a phrase in its meaning... It is about what you came up with during your keyword research... If 10m people a month search on Laser Systems and it is uncompetitive enough to go for, plus yuo think you sell what people think of as 'laser systems' then it would be pretty stupid IMO to not use that exact phrase and optimise for it.

In similar fasion, I am not going to ignore all US English just because it is the 'wrong' spelling here, or ignore very common misspellings because or misconceptions about a phrase because it is too broad... If the end user searches for it, and I think I can offer them that... I Go For It!

T0PS3O, Jul 28, 2004 IP
  7. rhinoplayer

rhinoplayer Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the advice. I think I will go w/ 'laser cutting, laser engraving, and laser systems.' This is proper english and includes the first 3 terms that I want to target.

(Eric - diction is a synonym for verbiage and I think diction would clearly define what I was describing, 'choice of words w/ regards to correctness.'??)

Txs.

rhinoplayer, Jul 28, 2004 IP
  8. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Take out the comma before and, then you'll be totally correct.

And personally I always prefer Capitalized words in titles.

T0PS3O, Jul 28, 2004 IP
  9. rhinoplayer

rhinoplayer Peon

Best Answers:
    That sounds good. (I actually defended the 'comma before and' in front of the Securities and Exchange Commission when documents I handled were subpoened in the Arthur Andersen & Enron scandal 3 years ago ~ ~ ~ but I learned my lesson, it's not worth defending!)

rhinoplayer, Jul 28, 2004 IP