1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Likno AllWebMenus - reinstallation

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by dsscottage, Sep 9, 2016.

I have been using Likno AllWebMenus to build the menus for a couple of my sites. I really like the program but I now have a problem.

I had a major SSD failure and had to buy and install a new SSD. This meant reinstalling Windows and all of my software. I am the registered owner of AllWebMenus but when I reinstall the program, I need to reactivate the program at the Likno web site. That web site is still up and running but all the support pages (including activation) are inaccessible. I have e-mailed their support and sales groups but have not received an answer. I suspect that they are out of business since the program hasn't been updated since September 2014.

Therefore, two questions....
    1. Does anyone have any idea how I can activate my program? I have version 5.3 build 938.
    2. If this can't be done, can anyone recommend a good (cheap or free) alternative? I've tried CCS3 Menu and don't like it.

I should also add....
    I've tried a few programs but all of them generate code that is added to every page in the web site. This makes updating the menu very time consuming.

If I can't re-register AllWebMenus, I'm looking for a program that generates a small amount of code for every page in the site that links to the actual menu data which is included in a separate file. That way, only that external file needs to be updated when the menu is updated. The code in each web page remains unchanged and just links to that external file. i.e. the same way that AllWebMenus works.

dsscottage, Sep 9, 2016 IP
  2. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Why don't you simply write your menu as you want it, save to its own file and then use server side includes, php includes or includes from whichever server side scripting language you use to add it to each page when served? No genius is required. That is the common way of doing things.

That's what your proprietary, presumably closed source, application is doing. Your issue points out the risk of buying closed source programs. It's "yours" but you're not allowed to use what you've paid for.

gary

kk5st, Sep 9, 2016 IP
  3. dsscottage

dsscottage Peon

Best Answers:
    Gary,
    Thank-you for your suggestion.
    I'm just an amateur (self taught) web designer and primarily design my own site. I haven't had any experience with PHP or the "includes" function. After your suggestion, I did a little investigation and testing and I can create a basic menu using this process however, it will take me a while to make it look somewhat sophisticated. If I can't find a way to make my existing process work, I'll dedicate some time to PHP.

Thanks again.

dsscottage, Sep 10, 2016 IP
  4. dsscottage

dsscottage Peon

Best Answers:
    To close this issue...
    Although I haven't been able to find and acceptable direct replacement for AllWebMenus, I have found an acceptable solution based on the suggestion from kk5st.

I'm using Blumentals Easy CSS Menu to create the polished menu that I want. That's easier than coding it myself. I've converted my HTML pages to PHP and used the "include" function to add the menu from a separate file created by Easy CSS. Now I only have to modify that one external file to change my menu rather than every page in the site. In order to locally debug my site, I'm using Blumentals Rapid PHP to edit and view my PHP pages. This seemed a lot easier than installing WAMP and all of the necessary MS C++ software packages.

dsscottage, Sep 16, 2016 IP
  5. PeterG_UK

PeterG_UK Peon

Best Answers:
    The Likno site seems to be back up. I had the same issue and I have just got an activation code.

PeterG_UK, Dec 24, 2016 IP
  6. dsscottage

dsscottage Peon

Best Answers:
    Peter,
    Thank-you for the tip. I got registered too.

dsscottage, Dec 24, 2016 IP