1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Let's Red rep. DMOZ editors.

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by gworld, Jan 22, 2006.

1. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    lmocr, but what is the point of having that forum, IRC and all that stuff if there doesn;t seem to be anyone that can actually change things? Its like if me and 10 other members start talking about ways on how to improve this forum. Unless we get to speak with Shawn and share our points of views we would just be wasting our time.

fryman, Jan 23, 2006 IP
  2. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Very good point, none of the above has ever produced any solutions.

Blogmaster, Jan 23, 2006 IP
  3. Spendlessly

Spendlessly Peon

Best Answers:
    If they really wanted it "fixed" they would treat it like a coin appraisal.

One person reviews the site, and they accept/reject/modify it - then it goes to a second RANDOM editor in the same category and they accept/reject it - then it goes to a third RANDOM editor who accepts/rejects it.

If all three aren't in agreement - the accept/reject/modify request would not go into effect.

I know, I know - it would make submissions take FOREVER... They could easily make it so that if a site is not accepted/rejected/reviewed by one of the three people within a three day period it is moved to someone elses queue.(random editor of same category if possible - but if not enough editors of that category exist, it would go to an outside related category)

And lets face it - not every site deserves to be given extra weight in Google. This would make it so that only the best of the best would be approved. The quality of the sites listed in DMOZ is increasingly worse.

Spendlessly, Jan 23, 2006 IP
  4. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    Obviously Shawn reads this forum (otherwise he wouldn't have posted here :p ). The same thing happens in the editor forums. There are changes being made - some very very minor, some not so minor. Are they the changes every one wants to see? I don't know - I don't know what everyone wants. Are they changes most editors want to see - probably, since a lot of the changes are discussed in the forums. Are they changes I can live with? Yes - I still edit. Are the changes not coming fast enough for others - or not significant enough for others? Yes - that's why some editors don't edit any longer.

Added - if the changes you want to see are not changes that Shawn wants, what do you think the chances of them happening are?

lmocr, Jan 23, 2006 IP
  5. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    There can be dozens of possible solutions, the problem is... who is in charge of putting them into practice?

fryman, Jan 23, 2006 IP
  6. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Whoever it is, he/she sure knows how and where to hide ;)

Blogmaster, Jan 23, 2006 IP
  7. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    It depends on the size of the solution/problem. If only one small category is affected - say it needs to be split into two because it's grown so much (unless it's really minor - the editor will post to let others know what's planned) - then the editor for that category will put the solution into practice. What if it's slightly larger - say it involves two branches. Then a discussion ensues and if a consensus is reached about what to do, the solution is put into practice by whichever editor(s) volunteer to do that. And if it's directory wide? Then there are a branch of editors called Admins who shoulder that responsibility. Most changes require discussion and consensus.

lmocr, Jan 23, 2006 IP
  8. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    How many years will it take to reach a concensus? Is there really no one there that notices the huge problem they have in their hands? The thousands of pending sites? Don't care about it at all?

Sure sounds like what many times has been posted here: people are accepted to be an editor, add all their sites, maybe edit a few pending ones, and never return again.

fryman, Jan 23, 2006 IP
  9. TMan

TMan Peon

Best Answers:
    Sure there's interest to "fix" dmoz. I'm not a very active editor (I don't need to be as there are very little submissions in my cat), and I don't read a lot on the dmoz editor forums. But I believe the problem to be that dmoz has that many editors, they all have opinions and want to be listened to.

Bottom line:

TMan, Jan 24, 2006 IP
  10. Notting

Notting Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Someone fetch him his crystal ball!!

Notting, Jan 24, 2006 IP
  11. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    It isn't a serious problem since editors get sites from a dozen or more sources - sites submitted for review are but one source and generally a poor one. The number of "pending" sites numbers hundreds of millions of eligible sites. Therefore editors are highly selective. If people can grasp it is not a listing service and they are not customers of a listing service then they stand a chance of understanding the DMOZ concept. Webmasters are speculative suppliers of materials for inclusion and there is a big difference between being a supplier and being a customer. Trouble is the guidelines for submission don't make that crystal clear and it leads to expectations of service that simply don't exist and were never intended to exist.

brizzie, Jan 24, 2006 IP
  12. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The site should belong to them or friends / family or pay the editor. I agree they are very selective. ;)

gworld, Jan 24, 2006 IP
  13. CedarCity

CedarCity Peon

Best Answers:
    Is this the Post where you tell DMOZ editors you will pay them for inclusion? PM me the amount. :) O DMOZ editors dont do that?

CedarCity, Jan 24, 2006 IP
    krumel likes this.
  14. DomainMagnate

DomainMagnate Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    a little offtopic.

Anyone has any idea whats the story with the lizard and how's it connected to dmoz?

[​IMG]

DomainMagnate, Jan 24, 2006 IP
  15. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    That's the original DMOZ editor in a lizard disguise running in terror from the monster he created :D

minstrel, Jan 24, 2006 IP
  16. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    From the ODP Glossary:

Mozilla
    A green lizard image which Netscape Corp. use as their mascot, as does the ODP. Derivative versions of the image are used on various items of official documentation.
    Related terms: Mozzie
    Mozzie
    1. Images derived from ODP's Mozilla mascot. Used for customizing category pages.
    2. Short form of "Mozzie Award"
    Related terms: Mozilla, Mozzie Awards

lmocr, Jan 24, 2006 IP
  17. shygirl

shygirl Guest

Best Answers:
    Red reps so far :

1) "donkey turds > DMOZ"

Originality 3/10
    Technical merit 2/10
    Having the balls to sign name with red rep 0/10

2) "I don't get the repping system here~ it works like this"

Originality 5/10 ( for being kind enough to supply working example of red repping)
    Technical merit 1/10
    Having the balls to sign name with red rep 0/10

Looks like rep-reppers have no balls between them so far ??? :D

Any more ???

shygirl, Jan 24, 2006 IP
    DomainMagnate, Dio and krumel like this.
  18. EveryQuery

EveryQuery Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I just got a bluish-purple rep with no comments attached at all. Nice try, you mother sticker.

EveryQuery, Jan 24, 2006 IP
  19. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    yfs1 is one smart fellow.

Will.Spencer, Jan 24, 2006 IP
  20. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, he is. Let's get 'im! :eek:

minstrel, Jan 24, 2006 IP