1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Let Me Know If This Was A Good Move...

Discussion in 'Websites' started by wiseone, Jul 17, 2005.

Greetings,
    Just wanted to pass this by the experts.

Using the "site" command at google, I was checking the number of pages that google had indexed for each directory on our site. (example: site:***.****.*** articles31)

We are one those who lost most traffic on google after Feb 2nd. Therefore, I am always searching for ways to get it back.

I noticed that for three of our directories, there was very inflated pages counts. Instead of each being around 500 pages, they were in the five thousand range. We have approximately 34 different directories which hold our web pages. This means, 31 of them had absolutely correct page counts.

I decided a good way to possibly fix this is to move the directories and do a 301-redirect to the new directory.
    (example: Redirect permanent /articles31 ht*p://***.***.***/articles31n )

I am hoping this might fix the inflated page issue.

Does anyone have any opinions on this? Did I shoot myself in the foot? Is it okay to do this? From a google perspective, I am not worried. We are not gettting any serps from them. However, I am worried about msn and yahoo.

Appreciate all thoughts.

wiseone, Jul 17, 2005 IP
  2. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Can you post or PM me the url.

Dominic, Jul 17, 2005 IP
  3. wiseone

wiseone Peon

Best Answers:
    Dominic - URL sent.
    Thanks.

I am just worried. I have done the 301-redirect from www to non-www. However, I have never moved completed directories. Just worried about ramifications.

wiseone, Jul 17, 2005 IP
  4. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I had a look and can't work out the time line of events from what you have posted and probably aren't the best to advise you on this.

I suggest you list a time line of events as to what you have done, how se's have responded, what the problem is, and what you are proposing to do... in dot points so it can be followed easily. May just be me but I'm lost on what has happened and what you want to do.

Dominic, Jul 17, 2005 IP