1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Legends of copywriting - are they still right ?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by roubohf, Jun 3, 2006.

Hello,

I read Ogilvy Confessions and he said things like long copy sells more than short one, that the picture in newspaper ad shouldnt be too inventive etc.
    He also has the concept for the layout of the print ad - Picture (on the top), (bottom)Head, (the most bottom) Copy..

Do you think that this principles still apply today or there are some other boundaries or limits ? Is Ogilvy still right ?

Thanks for your opinions

J.

roubohf, Jun 3, 2006 IP
  2. Jenstar

Jenstar Active Member

Best Answers:
    Are you looking at writing copy for print or for the web? Both are quite different in what works best because the mediums are so different, and what works well in newspaper doesn't neccessarily translate to work well on the web too.

Jenstar, Jun 4, 2006 IP
  3. Java

Java Peon

Best Answers:
    One of the main principles of copywriting is testing. Start with the proven principles that you state, then try varing one item at a time and see the results.

Java, Jun 4, 2006 IP
  4. roubohf

roubohf Peon

Best Answers:
    Jenstar: I am looking for a print - like I said the principles then and now in the same media.

He was one of the best copys ... are his methods in year 2006 right ? Or is it now completely different - shorter bodycopys, shorter heads - like I am noticing in the new ads ?

Java: so u think that he is right... I meant if something changed drastically in this time from then ?

Thanks

J

roubohf, Jun 4, 2006 IP
  5. Jenstar

Jenstar Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think a lot of his principles still work today (ie. advertorials work better than straight up ads) and both of his books are still considered must-reads for those in print marketing. However, I suspect there are many new cutting edge advertising practices that work especially well today that were non-existant in his days. So I think it probably is very good for the principles and the ideas, but you might need to put a modern day spin on some of the tactics... like I am sure he never discussed how putting a URL into advertising is an effective way for readers to continue the advertising experience for the comapny or product ;)

Jenstar, Jun 4, 2006 IP
  6. donnareed

donnareed Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree that web and print media have some differences due to the way people read online. But one of the main premises of the Ogilvy book- testing and tracking every aspect of your ad in order to improve it's effectiveness- still holds true today for both media.

donnareed, Jun 5, 2006 IP
  7. marriedbliss

marriedbliss Peon

Best Answers:
    Sometimes you can get by with short copy, but especially for online-only businesses, you need long copy to explain things properly and overcome people's objections.

I get better results about 90% of the time when I write long copy for anything. I grant you, it's not always as pretty to look at, but who cares if it generates profits?

marriedbliss, Jun 9, 2006 IP
  8. roubohf

roubohf Peon

Best Answers:
    @all thanks for the answers!

What books (ebooks?) would you recommend on the modern advertising (copywriting)- that is the new media and the new usage of media etc... that would be as quality as ogilvy ?

roubohf, Jun 11, 2006 IP