1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Legal or Not? NES Emulation on the Internet

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by sixty6, Jul 21, 2006.

1. sixty6

sixty6 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well I've decided not to take a big risk as that. I just saw atArcade get a ton of visitors becuase of their NESS Emulation :(

Oh well, I guess the long road is the safe road, thanks for your input!

sixty6, Jul 27, 2006 IP
    KLB likes this.
  2. WebNirvana

WebNirvana Peon

Best Answers:
    Nintendo probably hasn't taken legal action because those sites aren't actually cutting into their profits.

But I'm assuming Nintendo will start sending out a message considering their new console is going allow you to download those old games. Sites like atarcade are competition to them. A company like Nintendo would have no problem shutting those guys down.

Atarcade doesn't get huge amounts of traffic so it could also be that they aren't on Nintendo's radar yet.

WebNirvana, Jul 28, 2006 IP
  3. Al Capone

Al Capone Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    From what I heard, the EAS contacted http://www.atarcade.com not nintendo, they had a choice to go to court and say that they had rights to put Nintendo games on there site, but if they did, then the lawyers at Nintendo would have probably fallow that in court with a lawsuit since they would already be infront of a Judge and it would be very easy. Or they had a choice to remove the games, there lucky it was the EAS and not the lawyers at Nintendo. The difference is, the EAS just enforces copyrights from there clients, they don't usually don't report them to there clients, if the lawyers find out it would be much more serious.

Basically, since WII is coming out, these sites will pretty much all be shut down, atleast http://www.atarcade.com had flash games, there traffic hasn't gone down much from what I read in ALEXA, but when everyvideogame is forced to remove there games, there pretty much over. no more traffic because they don't have anything else

Al Capone, Jul 28, 2006 IP
  4. sixty6

sixty6 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Alright guys, I have contacted nintendo and here is what they said on their end:

They allowed websites like this to stay online because these sites claimed that they are doing this only because users can't play the good old games anymore and they are not being sold in stores!

However, since the Nintendo Wii hasn't come out, they are not going to send a legal notice at the moment and THEY ARE aware of such sites present (everyvideogame.com)

But when the Wii comes out, they will be legally required to remove these games from their website because the Wii would offer people the chance to play these games!

Thanks to everyone who offered their input and I went ahead and removed the games from my arcade!

sixty6, Aug 7, 2006 IP
  5. Al Capone

Best Answers:
    All that makes sense, thanks for the info.

Who did you contact at Nintendo (an e-mail would be great)? I too would like to ask a few questions of my own from them

Thanks

Al Capone, Aug 14, 2006 IP
  6. sixty6

sixty6 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It was a simple E-Mail Address, I think it was but check at nintendo.com

sixty6, Aug 14, 2006 IP
  7. Grafstein

Grafstein Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldnt advise it,i have suffered a similar problem with sony.
    Just remove all of the affected games.

Grafstein, Aug 14, 2006 IP
  8. sixty6

sixty6 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah I already understood that....

sixty6, Aug 14, 2006 IP
  9. Al Capone

Best Answers:
    thx for the info sixty6

Al Capone, Aug 14, 2006 IP