1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Left BANS for This -> Craigs Agent

Discussion in 'Commission Junction' started by upnya, Mar 6, 2008.

1. potentmix

potentmix Peon

Best Answers:
    Umm... I think I'll take a pass on this one.

potentmix, Mar 9, 2008 IP
  2. Steve Mount

Steve Mount Peon

Best Answers:
    Ahh yes, the good ol' fashioned Digital Point condemnation begins.

This is not against the TOS agreement.

The method works, CJ.com pays us, and we make money with it. Is that NOT ok with YOU?

Steve Mount, Mar 9, 2008 IP
  3. Steve Mount

Steve Mount Peon

Best Answers:
    I would encourage you guys to try the demo before you give it the usual "bash it before you even try it" routine that is extremely common on this forum.

You can request the demo at the following page:

http://www.craigs-agent.com/demo.htm

There will always be those who condemn other people's methods that WORK. Anyhow, the people that are starting to make money with the software, released just days ago, aren't complaining at all :)

If you like the software, as most everyone does, then I'll see ya on the other side :)

Steve

4. iBBnet

iBBnet Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't understand it when people say it's a violation of TOS to add an affiliate link on emails. When my clients email me asking for recommendations (hosting providers, etc.), my response includes links to sites I'm affiliated with (and I myself use). They asked for it, so I'm giving them the information they requested. How does that violate CJ terms?

Can someone explain why it's a violation or point me where it says that? I just want to make sure I have my back covered. Don't want to be banned or suspended or anything...

iBBnet, Mar 9, 2008 IP
  5. Steve Mount

Steve Mount Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok here's where everyone is getting confused. It can be confusing because of the terminology, and the process behind OUR software.

==========

(d) Prohibited Uses of Links.

(i) Locations. You may not place Links to an Advertiser's Web site or Web site content in third party newsgroups, message boards, blogs, unsolicited email and other types of spam, link farms, counters, chatrooms, or guestbooks.

==========

There is one other mention of this in the CJ.com TOS agreement using the same terminology.

However, CraigsAgent DOES NOT ENCOURAGE OR SEND UNSOLICITED EMAIL NOR is it considered SPAM. When you are responding to a user on Craigslist, they have specifically asked you to provide them with a lead to the product they want.

Now, if you decided to provide them with a link to an eBay product, but then you also started advertising other random stuff inside of the email, especially when the user on Craigslist stated in their ad that they would not like to be contacted with other commercial interests, then YES. You are definitely breaking the rules and opening yourself up to getting banned faster than you can say "CraigsAgent"

Hope this helps clarify :)

6. Aldouspi

Aldouspi Peon

Best Answers:
    I have downloaded the demo and reviewed it. Not yet tried it, but it seems reasonable and relatively easy to try.

I had a question for Steve Mount: Have you had any difficulties with people who bought an item through your recommended links and then had a problem with the seller?

Aldouspi, Mar 9, 2008 IP
  7. alext

alext Active Member

Best Answers:
    "(11) Email Promotion. You agree not to send any emails in Your promotion of the eBay site unless authorized and approved to do so by CJ. Authorization and approval of email marketing includes additional terms and conditions to which you must agree before such promotion begins."

You need to read eBay's TOS.

alext, Mar 9, 2008 IP
  8. Steve Mount

Steve Mount Peon

Best Answers:
    They already know about this. You tell them your marketing plans when you sign up.

;)

9. Steve Mount

Steve Mount Peon

Best Answers:
    No I sure haven't... But I try to make sure I'm not referring a customer to an auction that has a seller with crappy feedback :)

Never had a problem doing it that way ;)

10. alext

alext Active Member

Best Answers:
    So you have contacted CJ and told them you are marketing eBay via email? What were the additional TOS that you agreed to in that case? As it states, you need to be approved and then agree to additional TOS. So I am interested to know what were in those additional TOS.

Or are you saying that when you signed up with cj in the first place, you said you intend to do email marketing?

alext, Mar 9, 2008 IP
  11. Steve Mount

Steve Mount Peon

Best Answers:
    Bingo.

I have been successfully doing this for close to nine months now without a problem. There has never been a customer of mine (when doing this the old manual way as well) who had an issue with Commission Junction. I only know of one person who got banned from Commission Junction, and that was because he was abusing the system and sending out massive amounts of spam and "commercial" type interests.

There are some "grey areas" in regards to how this system works against the eBay and CJ.com TOS, I'm totally aware of that. If you aren't comfortable with how the system works or you disagree with the way it's designed, then that is fine. You do not need to invest in the software! It's up to the consumer on whether or not this is something they want to utilize.

The folks who are making money aren't complaining, that's for sure! ;)

12. ebiz1022

ebiz1022 Peon

Best Answers:
    Just tried the demo. It is very easy to use. I did use to do this the manual way and got many thank-you emails from people who found just what they were looking for.

ebiz1022, Mar 10, 2008 IP
  13. webwork

webwork Banned

Best Answers:
    Could you guys imagine what would happen if this software really took off? Thousands of people scouring the same wanted ads sending the same emails to the same people pushing the same exact products? Correct me if I am wrong.

IMO You guys should have just kept this program to yourselves.

webwork, Mar 10, 2008 IP
  14. mhaynes6

mhaynes6 Peon

Best Answers:
    Tried...Demo will not work...but the help files will. Specified file not found Man I hate that! lol

mhaynes6, Mar 10, 2008 IP
  15. Steve Mount

Steve Mount Peon

Best Answers:
    This is why it's a limited supply offer ;) We won't have anywhere near 1000 purchases, trust me.

Steve Mount, Mar 10, 2008 IP
  16. Steve Mount

Steve Mount Peon

Best Answers:
    What isn't working? A little more information would be helpful :p

Steve Mount, Mar 10, 2008 IP
  17. jaree

jaree Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I once tried doing same thing manually. Note that i am a 5 bar affiliate with monthly sales in $xxx,xxx range and i talked to my own CJ account manager (Yes i have one) and he tried getting permission of email marketing from ebay. Ebay simply said NO to this. I was going to do the exact same thing just manually(outsource). Also dont forget Ebay owns Craigslist so sooner or later you will be busted no matter how you cloak your links.

IMO if you value your account dont try this. If you are unsure email ebay and you will get your answer which will be NO for sure. In my case CJ tried its best to get that permission and they still couldnt do it and if you are just a normal affiliate i wouldnt be surprised if you get a termination notice within a day.

I hope people dont jump onto this without any due diligence. Good luck people

jaree, Mar 10, 2008 IP
  18. infopage

infopage Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with the logic that you're only responding to a request made by the poster and the technology behind it seems straight except for the fact that now CJ can simply read this post and 'catch on' real fast...it might be a good idea to just ask CJ what they think of this;)

It all boils down to a matter of 'walking a thin line'

infopage, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  19. potentmix

potentmix Peon

Best Answers:
    Exactly. Without doing the investigation mentioned above, when I first looked at this, it just didn't seem to pass the sniff test. When questions such as are raised in this thread are presented, I think the best principle to follow is when in doubt, don't. You'll sleep better.

potentmix, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  20. Ghalt

Ghalt Peon

Best Answers:
    Interesting discussion.

I have some questions which might clarify things. (Or confuse them...we'll see.)

1. If someone is soliciting input, via Craig's List, some other classified ad, asking for recommendations on a message forum, etc., if I reply to them with the product they are asking for, am I spamming?

2. eBay's TOS says that you can't use email to promote "the eBay site", unless you have permission from CJ, blah blah blah. (Funny...they seem to be going round and round...CJ passes the buck to eBay, they pass it right back.). But I digress. Can I promote MY OWN site via email (if I have the Email Marketing promotional method enabled at CJ)? If I had a BANS store that sold SCUBA gear, and someone on a message forum was asking to be contacted with a specific set of fins, and I email them a link to my BANS store...is that a violation?

3. If the answer to #2 is, "It's OK to email them and link to your own BANS site"...then there seems to be a work-around here. If your website was already setup with the promotional method of 'Email Marketing' turned on, you could create your own version of BANS that basically has one page for every email you are sending out. So the user opens the email, visits your 'store' site, landing exactly on the page that has their item on it...the item is the affiliate link to eBay, and whammo...you make the sale.

I, for one, hate operating in the 'gray' area. I like to sleep at night, and face the mirror, and my 2-year old daughter, in the morning. But it seems to me that #3 above isn't in violation and is above board.

I'd love to hear more input, especially from the person with the 6-figure income and their own account exec. Sometimes one slightly different spin on a situation would be permissible, when another would not (ie: you're email marketing your own site, not eBay, and customizing that site for potential clients who are soliticing information or a product).

Ghalt, Mar 11, 2008 IP