1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Learning PHP, SQL, MySQL etc...Developing App's, Software, Programs etc..How?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by smallfishbigmoney, Aug 29, 2008.

Hey everyone,

I'm really interested in programming and the development of applications, software and programs etc..

But I don't know where to begin. I've been to the tutorials, but sometimes tutorials aren't enough and I get lost in it all.

I would very much appreciate it if I could get someone who is willing to impart some knowledge that could help me in understanding the fundamentals of software, programs, internet apps development.

It's all a bit cloudy at the moment and I don't know where to begin. But I find myself asking questions like

1. How are programs like Skype and AIM created?
    2. How are browsers development and what kind of infrastructure do they use?
    3. How can I learn these skills to develop my own applications and software?

And the list goes on...

I'm very keen to learn, so your help would greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Fabien

P.M. me or reply on this thread :)

smallfishbigmoney, Aug 29, 2008 IP
  2. saurabhj

saurabhj Banned

Best Answers:
    There are basically 2 different fields available for programming.
    1. Desktop Application Programming
    2. Web Programming

First decide for which field you need to go for and start googling. Good Luck :)

saurabhj, Aug 29, 2008 IP
  3. toraton

toraton Peon

Best Answers:
    The best thing to do is come up with a project that you would like to complete and then learn the necessary skills in order to complete it.

If you had more specific questions then I could be more helpful.

toraton, Aug 30, 2008 IP
  4. fancysora

fancysora Member

Best Answers:
    OH ,let me see...

fancysora, Aug 30, 2008 IP
  5. Steve136

Steve136 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Desktop programming can be totally different to web development, however similar.

Desktop applications tend to use:

Visual Basic http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbasic/default.aspx
    .NET Languages, VB.net, C#, C - See above
    C++ / C# - Various Websites

Web Development -

PHP - http://www.php.net
    ASP - http://www.asp.net
    JavaScript - Various websites: google them.
    Ruby - http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/
    ... The list carries on

http://www.w3schools.com - Will give you step by step tutorials on most if not all of these languages.

As someone said, maybe try starting a project where these languages may be used, always a good idea.

Regards,

Steve

Steve136, Aug 30, 2008 IP
  6. smallfishbigmoney

smallfishbigmoney Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your help, happy to see the differentiation between desktop apps and web dev. I'll think of a project and start working on it. Any tutorial sites? I've know w3schools and it's been relli good, but any others? Thnx

smallfishbigmoney, Aug 30, 2008 IP
  7. CJ1

CJ1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Just to clear things up, C can sometimes be used for web programming on a different level.

OK, so there are a few things you need to know. Even tutorials can't drum it in enough. I first tried doing PHP ages ago and gave up. I came back, thinking "I will learn it properly this time" and never did (I used w3schools), it's too confusing to read tutorials, you need to watch videos or read tutorials that help you build web applications as you go along, so you can see what the code you are learning is used for.

I reccomend you get a basic knowledge of mySQL, PLEASE! You need to know about the structure (tables, rows, comments) and how to UPDATE and DELETE data, etc. etc. so use w3schools and remember it!

Then go away and find the answer to all these questions:

--- WHAT DOES LOCAL, GLOBAL, AND SUPERGLOBAL MEAN? Where are local variables, where are global variables and where are superglobal variables located in this example code (quote the code):

<?php

$refer = $_SERVER["referer"];

$gname = "Jeff";

function writename($name) {
         $secondname = " Gates";
         echo $name . $secondname;
    }

writename($gname);

?>

Code (markup):
    MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND ARRAYS!

• 1. Why is PHP called a "Server Side Language"? What does it do that is different to HTML?
      2. What are the benifits of the above question?
      3. What is a variable, and what character must you use to start one?
      4. What is a constant?... see q9
      5. How do you write an if-else statement?
      6. How do you create a function?
      7. How do you "pass data in" to a function? Give an example.
      8. How do you write a loop?
      9. How do you write a constant?
      10. How do you write an array?

Bring those answers back here to me :)

REMEMBER THAT IN PHP, ARRAY NUMBERS START WITH 0, NOT 1, BUT IN MYSQL THEY START AT 1!

Now you can try to do some exercises which will test your knowledge... you can do this in the same page:

• 1. Create a variable name with the name Jeff inside it, and display the name on the screen.

2. Create a function writename and inside the brackets create a new local variable called $fname. Display "Your name is" concatenated with $fname.

3. Create a code to run the function and pass in the global variable of NAME (which you created above).

4. Create a constant called secondname and display it on the screen.

5. Create a new array (assigning strings to strings) which stores 5 names (make em' up)! DO NOT use an associative array (assigning strings to strings), let PHP give them numbers.
      Display on the screen the whole array in HUMAN READABLE TEXT (search if you're not sure, and REMEMBER)!

6. Echo on the screen the value of the third name in the array without looking at it on your screen!

7. Create a for or while loop which displays all the names in the array. Each name on a new line (just concatenate it with <br />).

8. Assign the value of the fourth name in the array to a variable called $yay.

9. Create a new if statement that says: if $yay is equal to $name then say "it's equal" else say "it's not equal".

If you can do those exercises and questions you are well on your way... If you can't answer the questions then PM me and I will help you. If you can't write code to the exercises then search, for example, "loop" and use a w3schools tutorial or something, to help you. This isn't cheating, but make sure you will remember it for next time (practice without looking at other code until you can do it).

After this you should look at a Lynda.com MYSQL.PHP.training if you wish. You will be comfortable with it.

CJ1, Sep 1, 2008 IP
  8. siedexxx

siedexxx Peon

Best Answers:
    This is the kind of method I prefer when learning new things:)

siedexxx, Sep 1, 2008 IP
  9. Ben Lambert

Ben Lambert Peon

Best Answers:
    If you're interested in creating desktop applications or games, Adobe Flex is a nice all-in-one type language to get started with.

And, as a bonus, you can show-off your work on your webpage via flash, as well using them on the desktop.

One of the best ways to get started - in my opinion - is to look at other peoples example code and learn from it. But it depends on your learning style. There are many tutorial books on Amazon or Oreilly.com

Ben Lambert, Sep 2, 2008 IP
  10. megacontent

megacontent Guest

Best Answers: