1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Learning Material

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Jeremy Benson, Sep 8, 2014.

Hello,

I've been messing with web dev for awhile, but still seem to have major issues. I'm wondering if anyone can point me to good html and css learning material. I know what a lot of the problems are, but not sure how to fix them. Mostly the sites I like to mess with are profile style sites. I find I'm not sure how to properly structure them to work well with different character content... like say a user has a 8 character name and another has 12-15 everything is different. Not sure how to make sure all characters fit in place. Same with all different sized content parts...

I'm a bit too div happy, and far to id happy. I think this comes from my misunderstanding in page structure. I find that I can't move things around with margin properties and what not unless it's inside it's out div... That also seems to be the root of my content problem because the divs usually have fixed width and height properties.

if anyone can help me with these issues, maybe explain things a bit that would be awesome.

Thanks,
    Jeremy.

Jeremy Benson, Sep 8, 2014 IP
  2. aidanriley629

aidanriley629 Banned

Best Answers:
    Jeremy-

I highly recommend the courses by Lynda.com on HTML, xHTML and CSS. They are quite expensive; however... I'll send you a PM. One minute.

aidanriley629, Sep 9, 2014 IP
  3. Jeremy Benson

Jeremy Benson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I should of thought of that. I forgot they existed. Did some messing around with them when I wanted to learn some unity.. Thanks :)

Jeremy Benson, Sep 9, 2014 IP
  4. Hefaistos

Hefaistos Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Do not to use fixed height and width for divs. Use %, em, or rem instead using pixels. Using pixels will just mess the layout for different resolutions.
    There are only few cases when you need to set a fixed height for elements; use margin and padding instead.
    Also, you can focus on learning new css3 techniques like box model.

You can download free html templates and take a look at their structures and stylesheets. Use inspect element from browsers to see how different websites are made. Keep practicing and you will learn new things.

The hardest part related to css is when you need to make your template to look good even for older browsers, but luckily for almost anything there is a css hack or a javascript fix.

Hefaistos, Sep 9, 2014 IP
  5. Jennifer Hutson

Jennifer Hutson Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with Jeremy – Lynda.com has some really good material. I've used a bunch of their tutorials on Photoshop and Illustrator, and I believe they have an entire web development series in just about every language.

Jennifer Hutson, Sep 11, 2014 IP
  6. Jeremy Benson

Jeremy Benson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    :p that was aidanriley629... just don't want to steal his credit :p

Jeremy Benson, Sep 11, 2014 IP
  7. cronik

cronik Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    CodeCademy! This is probably the best free way to learn everything you need to know, and it definitely makes the learning process more enjoyable as you aren't just watching a video. Still, I think YouTube is a great place to search for video tutorials and see how other people are coding their websites. Play around with different templates, and focus on creating responsive websites as this is the new standard.

cronik, Sep 12, 2014 IP