1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Learn to type faster

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by in7, Nov 7, 2009.

1. iajrz

iajrz Peon

Best Answers:
    I might be replying a tad late now, but I wanted to recommend you a free (as in free beer and as in free speech software solution...
    typingtrainer, which you can find at sourceforge (website).
    Qoting from the site: "Typing Trainer is an application suite that is directed towards students, from the novice to those who have the basic knowledge of the kebyoard finger layout, and want to train and exercise their expertese in typing."
    hope it helps =)

iajrz, Nov 20, 2009 IP
  2. ErikJ

ErikJ Peon

Best Answers:
    theres a program that you can race other people on to see who can type faster its fun but I forgot the name

ErikJ, Nov 20, 2009 IP
  3. Deus Ex

Deus Ex Peon

Best Answers:
    My wpm = 120 consistent but my error rate is my only issue. I'd say the best way is through IMing people and through typing along to media

Deus Ex, Nov 20, 2009 IP
  4. in7

in7 Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess maybe it is that simple: type...A LOT!

As you can see from my original post, I thought that I would have to be doing some special exercises. Apparently, though, it seems that the real way to get faster is to type frequently.

Now, how do I type without looking? I guess after I do a lot of typing, I will come to instinctively where each key is.

in7, Nov 21, 2009 IP
  5. Otillier011

Otillier011 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I can write 100 WPM and I type without looking at the keys. All you have to do is practice.

Otillier011, Jan 28, 2010 IP
  6. MAIverson

MAIverson Peon

Best Answers:
    Luckily, we're on computers now and not on typewriters anymore. The backspace key makes it possible to have a terrible error rate and still be functionally very fast. So error rate is nowhere near as important as it used to be. They'll may still test you as if it were, but it's not. Especially since a spell check is lightning fast too. Get fast enough, and error rate hardly matters at all. Especially if you keep the punctuation okay.

MAIverson, Jan 28, 2010 IP
  7. DDunique

DDunique Peon

Best Answers:
    I type at around 70wpm, and learnt through using the computer for college/uni/work, for essays and so on, and currently most of my work is email based - the only thing I can suggest is lots and lots of practice!!

DDunique, Jan 30, 2010 IP
  8. hannnna

hannnna Peon

Best Answers:
    practice makes a man perfect .just follow this.

hannnna, Jan 31, 2010 IP
  9. dans107

dans107 Peon

Best Answers:
    Whilst using software can benefit a person's typing speed, a substantial amount of the time, the more practice you put in typing generally, the fast you will become.

For example, it has already been mentioned to type along to TV programs or your favourite songs and this is actually a really good way to start off.

Also, do not feel it necessary to type in the proper manner (as in, your fingers on the correct keys). I average anywhere between 80 - 100 words per minute and whilst I tend to type in an almost ideal manner, it's not perfect by any means.

Practice!

dans107, Jan 31, 2010 IP
  10. loka123

loka123 Peon

Best Answers:
    Have you tried to google?

loka123, Jan 31, 2010 IP
  11. tech_savvy

tech_savvy Peon

Best Answers:
    if you have been using the computer and the keyboard for long, i suppose be difficult to learn the proper typing method.

tech_savvy, Feb 5, 2010 IP
  12. gradiola

gradiola Active Member

Best Answers:
    The importance of finger location when learning to type fast should not be underestimated.
    Learn To Type Fast Tip #2 – Concentration
    Start of slow and learn the entire keyboard before you learn to type fast.
    Learn To Type Fast Tip #3 – Practice
    Practicing when you learn to type fast is the only way to gain a mastery of typing.

gradiola, Feb 5, 2010 IP
  13. Anders

Anders Peon

Best Answers:
    When I was in highschool, I accidentally stumbled upon the secret of becoming a fast typer. And the secret is... tada: Practice.

I had to submit a report on Star Trek and quantum physics (how did I end up with such a topic?). I chose the topic, so I felt enthusiastic about writing the report... until I realized that I didn't know a thing about quantum physics. Procrastination set in and time just passed by - too fast (did time ever pass by too slowly when you were in highschool?). I ended up spending a whole week copying and re-organizing complete passages from different books on my computer. After that week I knew the keyboard of my computer by heart! I didn't use a proper system, but my fingers found the needed keys in a mysterious way by themselves.

A few months afterwards I bought a cheap software to practice typing and learnt the correct finger location within a few days.

What I still have to work on: My error rate. I make too many mistakes (around 3 to 4 typos in this short message). That's one reason to work through a decent typing course to become perfect at this.

Anders, Feb 7, 2010 IP
  14. Rigmonkey

Rigmonkey Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'm pretty sure they're still available, but many years back I used the 'Mavis Beacon' typing program and although I can still only type at around 70wpm, it's much faster than the two-fingered efforts I was using before. I picked it up on one of those budget racks in a local supermarket and it's a doddle to use.

Rigmonkey, Feb 7, 2010 IP
  15. awundrin

awundrin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A good way to learn to type without watching your fingers is to simply tape a piece of paper on one edge of the top of your keyboard and practice-this is how I learned in high school and I can type 80 wpm now. It works!

awundrin, Feb 7, 2010 IP
  16. Web Content Writer

Web Content Writer Peon

Best Answers:
    You can try QWERTY or online lessons on Typing-Lessons.com.

Web Content Writer, Feb 7, 2010 IP
  17. lostpoet

lostpoet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Chat through IM only with your significant other if he/she is away. You will learn to type fast, fast enough that way. ;)

But seriously speaking -- you can look at mastering the DVORAK keyboard instead of the QWERTY keyboard. QWERTY Is meant to slow you down (old typewriters couldn't handle fast typing) and DVORAK is meant to speed you up. Since DVORAK is a not that common, you will have to get used to using both. I am told that it becomes natural after a while.

lostpoet, Feb 7, 2010 IP
  18. chenlele0929

chenlele0929 Peon

Best Answers:
    It took me 5 minutes to type this out.

chenlele0929, Feb 7, 2010 IP
  19. digitalmarketer

digitalmarketer Peon

Best Answers:
    I used typing master and its fab, highly recommend it to be a speedy typist!!!

digitalmarketer, Feb 10, 2010 IP