1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Layout skeleton needed to solve problem.

Discussion in 'CSS' started by labiere, Mar 18, 2005.

Hi there. I have been trying to figure out how to position CSS elements for a layout I want to create, but I can't seem to manage it.
    This is what I am aiming for:

[​IMG]

If possible, I want to only be using CSS1 for this and have a cross-browser solution.

It seems that if I fix the text area width, then I get lots of empty space around it when viewed at higher resolutions. However, when I try to avoid fixing a width for the text area, the text area jumps down to below the DIV image when the window gets too small. I want to keep that text area in the upper right, but not let it get smaller than say, 300px -- if the window gets too small, I just want the text to bleed off the right of the screen and require a scrollbar to see it.

Can someone show me an outline of how elements should be nested for this effect and the relevant position, width, and float properties I should use.

Thank you.

labiere, Mar 18, 2005 IP
  2. TiGG

TiGG Peon

Best Answers:
    use absolute? :)

TiGG, Mar 18, 2005 IP
  3. labiere

labiere Guest

Best Answers:
    Maybe I'm not getting what you are driving at, but absolute doesn't seem to be the full solution. When I place the elements on my page absolutely (in this case, there are 3 elements), I can get the top left corner of each element placed where I like. The problem is that if the user reduces the window in size, the text sort of wraps and then continues under the image div. I don't want the text go any lower on the page than the bottom of the image.. If I use a width for the text area to prevent that, it fixes the problem of wrapping at low resolutions but then I get too much whitespace between the image and the text when the screen is at a very high resolution.

labiere, Mar 21, 2005 IP