1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Launching a forum, what do people want to win?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by l3vi, May 12, 2011.

We are developing a small social site and are looking at doing a contest for joining the site, making friends, posting images, etc for the launch. Winner will be randomly selected from the members on the site. If you took part in this contest what would you think people would want to win? cash? some product (name the product)?

Thanks,

l3vi, May 12, 2011 IP
  2. fourat05

fourat05 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I think Apple products are very popular and interests both young and old people, otherwise console games is a good choice too.
    You can also consider offering reductions for shopping sites like Amazon...

fourat05, May 12, 2011 IP
  3. emilbus20

emilbus20 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah i anything!! iphone, ipod, ibroke after this contest ;-)

Seriously people love the apple stuff, i give itouches away all the time!

emilbus20, May 12, 2011 IP
  4. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The cool gadgets that evry retard want's like Iphone/Ipad ...

w3bmaster, May 12, 2011 IP
  5. Bohra

Bohra Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The ipods work the best people are crazy to get these always and if ur budgt is high a laptop would do wonders

Bohra, May 12, 2011 IP
  6. l3vi

l3vi Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the feedback, going to give away a iPad for the next three months on the Q&A site in my sig to see how it performs. Thanks once more for the input!

l3vi, May 12, 2011 IP
  7. blillard

blillard Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah I want a Ipad count me in lol

blillard, May 12, 2011 IP
  8. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I honestly do not think that will work, yes, people may show up for a time thinking they have a chance to win
    a free ipod, but once it is gone, so is everyone else, then your forum is left empty again...as long as you have
    something expensive to give away, then you have just as many friends...I would not give away anything unless
    my customer made an order, otherwise it would not really be appreciated, order $50 of merchandise, and get
    a free entry to win an ipod....at least I would have some way of paying for the ipod rather then giving one
    away, and still be left with an empty forum....trying to buy people do not always work, they maybe
    on your forum for a short time, but after that, they are gone like the wind....

dscurlock, May 12, 2011 IP
  9. l3vi

l3vi Peon

Best Answers:
    I would have to somewhat agree. However the hope is some percentage will stay and build out from that point. Right now I'm testing it over 3 months, so far we have been talked about on SEJ and ClickNewz and picked up somewhere around 38 members more or less. But that is not due to the ipad. It is a longer shot but the key point is the sweeten the pot to get people to register and post with a chance of winning. The goal is to build some level of PR and content, continued growth will take time. While some will join just for the ipad other will join because they like the idea of the site, and would not mind winning a ipad.

If it was a service,member site, or product offering, then yes the buy and win idea is solid. It gets customers to prove themselves. However a forum or Q&A site has only the site's free service of answering or getting answers to about SEO/SEM in this case, so the user can only buy in if they take part of the community as there is nothing for them to really buy like you would in the other example.

Hopefully time the three months are up, the site will be in a good search position I'm looking for.

l3vi, May 18, 2011 IP