1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

latest asp-version

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by asamuel, Apr 4, 2005.

1. jared

jared Peon

Best Answers:
    Look at the PHP attatched, which is the one I am using. It was modified per directions at the beginning of the thread.

$remote_addr = $_SERVER['QUERY_STRING'];
    $output = $ads_temp[1] == $remote_addr || $_SERVER['SERVER_ADDR'] == $remote_addr;

PHP:
    I viewed the page and IE and noticed the links are a light gray color, could this be causing them not to validate (ie too close to cloaking)? I can have the webmaster set a darker color.

Edit: SEOAspHole, yeah I noticed that :eek:, sending the webmaster an e-mail telling him to make them visible!
    Thanks

jared, Apr 8, 2005 IP
  2. SEOAspHole

SEOAspHole Peon

Best Answers:
    Thats good to hear. They actually didn't show at all on my screen, maybe contrast/brightness is off but its too nice a site to risk getting banned from Google alone for a few hidden links. I'd make them darker asap! Not heard about DP not validating for this reason but I may be wrong. Are you still unable to validate?

SEOAspHole, Apr 8, 2005 IP
  3. jared

jared Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, the links are now clearly visible and the code seems to be in good condition.

Is there anyway I can check to see if the server IP might of possibly gotten banned during some initial setup/troubleshooting yesterday?

Still not validation.

Thanks

jared, Apr 8, 2005 IP
  4. Brad

Brad Peon

Best Answers:
    When i browse to ad_network.php, I get the following error...
    'The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers'
    Does anyone know what that means?

Brad, Apr 8, 2005 IP
  5. dkalweit

dkalweit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds like a configuration issue with PHP somehow. Check with your ISP. Other than that, I guess Shawn would be best to help with this, as it's not ASP-passthru related... Thanks.

--
    Derek

dkalweit, Apr 8, 2005 IP
  6. jared

jared Peon

Best Answers:
    So is there anywhere to check to see if my server got banned during the initial troubleshooting/setup.

All the ads seem to be working perfectly and the code is running smoothly, but still no validation however. I used those files that I attatched earlier.

www.mcadamsfloral.com

I'm lost on what it could be..

jared, Apr 8, 2005 IP
  7. phasevar

phasevar Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a setup identical to the ASP setup, except my primary server is Python and talking to a secondary server running the modified PHP code.

My ads display, everything seems to work correctly, the remote_addr, server_name, and http_user_agent fields are being passed into the PHP code via GET request from Python, however, the site will not validate.

What I don't understand is that when I click on the "Validate/Calculate Weight Now" link in the administration interface, no requests are made for the page from DP. It just comes back and tells me it failed validation.

Others have asked it, and I guess I'm wondering the same. Is there some sort of banned list that I might have inadvertantly gotten on while in the process of getting my code setup?

Thanks!

phasevar, Apr 9, 2005 IP
  8. jared

jared Peon

Best Answers:
    Anybody have any insight on the last two posts, still not about to validate although the ads are working... :(

jared, Apr 10, 2005 IP
  9. BigEasy

BigEasy Peon

Best Answers:
    dkalweit,

I'm using your asp pass-through method on two of my sites (first time I've used the coop network) and it seems to have slowed down my site significantly. Do you experience latency as well?

Does anyone experience significant (serious) slowness after installing the ad network or this asp pass-through method?

I might have to stop participating if I can't get things to speed up. I'd like to continue using the service though - seems like it could be great.

BigEasy, Apr 10, 2005 IP
  10. dkalweit

Best Answers:
    Is the php file hosted locally? Theoretically, yes-- this would slow down a site considerably if the php file was hosted on a remote site-- this is why I used 127.0.0.1 in my original file.

--
    Derek

dkalweit, Apr 11, 2005 IP
  11. BigEasy

BigEasy Peon

Best Answers:

In each case, the php file is hosted local to the site. I have it currently pointing to http://www.mysite. com/ad_network.php though. You think it would speed it up if I used the local IP instead?

BigEasy, Apr 11, 2005 IP
  12. dkalweit

Best Answers:
    Yes, it should. Using the name requires a DNS lookup. Even if this is cached, it will take longer than the IP itself. Normally I'm not a fan of using IP's versus names, but in this case, if you can use the IP itself, it's best due to the real-time nature of page rendering...

--
    Derek

dkalweit, Apr 11, 2005 IP
  13. michail1

michail1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Been searching on this for days.

I am confirming that is has something to do with a firewall/virtual sites.

I have access to 4 servers.
    2 running Windows 2000 SBS (small business server) with ISA firewall - 2 nics. AND
    2 servers with regular 2000 server.

The 2 with 2k server run great. No problems. 1 with all windows updates, and the other not - just a test server.

The 2 with SBS both have problems giving the 800c0005 error.
    If you run your ASP page to do your request within the server, then it works. Not externally though (same with the scraper.asp test). The error is always at the .send command.

This is not a fix, but to point you (us) in the right direction.

michail1, Apr 15, 2005 IP
  14. dkalweit

Best Answers:
    I was reading some code the other day, and saw a "ServerXMLHTTP" object versus the "XMLHTTP" used in the asp script provided. Maybe this is built for servers or something, I dunno-- I just saw it when reading some unrelated code... Maybe you can try changing the createobject line to use "ServerXMLHTTP" instead of "XMLHTTP" and see if this helps. FWIW... Thanks.

--
    Derek

dkalweit, Apr 16, 2005 IP
  15. qembiTech

qembiTech Peon

Best Answers:
    Derek - I appreciate the instructions and files for the asp/php version. I desperately want to use this (rather than code it all in asp), but I've tried for days to get this to work. My problem is that when I use the include file tag that you mention in step 5 - I get a compile error. I have <!--#include file="ad_network.asp"--> <%=ad_network%> at the point where I want the ads to show. But the ad_network function is stuck in the middle of another function (Private Sub __Render__control1) by the compiler. Am I doing something wrong?

The code works fine if I put the ad_network function directly into my <script> tags. Should I just leave it like that? I'm not able to validate so am trying to stick to the steps just in case it makes a difference.

Belinda

qembiTech, May 23, 2005 IP
  16. wrkalot

wrkalot Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have this running but the ads seem to be static (they aren't rotating). Any idea what the cause would be or have a possible solution?

wrkalot, Jun 17, 2005 IP