1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

latest asp-version

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by asamuel, Apr 4, 2005.

1. dkalweit

dkalweit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Whenever there's a problem, first simplify, simplify, simplify. Change the http:// address to be hardcoded. If this error still occurs, there's a problem with the installation/configuration of msxml on the server. The XMLHTTP component may be somehow disabled.

If anyone has any fairly portable alternatives to xmlhttp, I'm very open to suggestions. I figured msxml is one of the most likely things to be installed on ASP web servers, therefore avoiding special component installs(which many ISPs will not do).

--
    Derek

dkalweit, Apr 5, 2005 IP
  2. dkalweit

Best Answers:
    Are you sure you specified a name(i.e. www.website.com/ad_network.php)? If your ISP is hosting multiple names per IP, the IP method won't work for you.

--
    Derek

dkalweit, Apr 5, 2005 IP
  3. iShopHQ

iShopHQ Peon

Best Answers:
    msxml3.dll error '80070005'

Access is denied.

/ad_network.asp, line 12

From past experience, it would seem that although your host has the XMLHTTP object enabled, it's not letting the object make a call out. I ran into this problem with a client who hosted with Microsfot BCentral. Unfortunately the solution was to move to another host, as BCentral said they wouldn't allow the XMLHTTP to make an outbound call.

Did you try the scraper script I uploaded to see if that worked?

iShopHQ, Apr 5, 2005 IP
  4. SEOAspHole

SEOAspHole Peon

Best Answers:
    iShopHQ,
    Many thanks for the code. It worked fine on my server and retrieved the url's requested so I assume there is no problem with the XMLHTTP on my hosts server. Any idea's what could be creating the error in the ASP code for the ad_network.asp?
    Many thanks for your input so far.

SEOAspHole, Apr 5, 2005 IP
  5. SEOAspHole

SEOAspHole Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello again
    Quick update. I have hardcoded the URL as advised and where as this gave me an error yesterday it is now giving no error but is not displaying any ads.

I changed the code to output the status of the XMLHTTP object and it returned 12029. I believe this error relates to a connection error but this isn't my strong point so any advice is appreciated.

Is it possible that as mentioned earler in this thread that it simply wont connect to a file on the same server? I know that my host uses shared IP's so could this also be part of any problem?

6. iShopHQ

iShopHQ Peon

Best Answers:
    Well shoot, all I can tell you is what I did.

I put the two php files and the asp file in the root. I put the txt file in a directory where IUSR had write permissions. I hardcoded the link for the XMLHTTP object making sure to use the http:// in the link.

Don't change the names of any of the files.
    Make sure your txt file is the is named ad_network_ads_213.txt. If it doesn't exit, create and empty file with that name.

I just went ahead and put the response.write in the asp file:

if ad_network_xml.status = 200 Then
    ad_network = ad_network_xml.responsetext
    response.write(ad_network)
    End If

iShopHQ, Apr 5, 2005 IP
  7. SEOAspHole

SEOAspHole Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry for the delay, I have tried again from scratch and still no success. I even studied xmlhttp and wrote my own page to parse the php and still nothing. Just access denied errors.

I evntually tried moving the php and txt files to another domain and bingo! it worked... well, almost worked. It now appears to be behaving like iShopHQ reported on the 1st page of this thread and appears to be overwriting the text file each time and not appending to it. How did you rectify this problem? Thanks again for all input and help so far.

8. iShopHQ

iShopHQ Peon

Best Answers:
    Make sure the text fiesl is named ad_network_ads_213.txt

I had tried to use my original file ad_network_ads.txt by chaing the name to that in the scripts and it kept rewriting. when i used the 213 name it worked.

iShopHQ, Apr 5, 2005 IP
  9. SEOAspHole

SEOAspHole Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, unfortunately it is. Are your php and txt files still on a different server to your ad_network.asp file?

This is how I currently have it set up:

ad_network.asp located on domain1 and .php files and ad_network_ads_213.txt located on server 2.

This almost works but the text file is always being overwritten, If I place all files on the same domain I get the following error:

msxml3.dll error '800c0005'

The system cannot locate the resource specified.

/ad_network.asp, line 12

Think I'll try again tomorrow!

10. SEOAspHole

SEOAspHole Peon

Best Answers:
    Decided to try and use ASP tear as I just found out it is installed on my hosts server and am happy to say that it works!!

I managed to validate too so as it's 4am and I have an 8am start I'm done for the night. I'd just like to say thanks to everyone who helped with my problem and especially to iShopHQ for some dedicated work!! If we ever cross paths I owe u a couple of beers, your dedication to the cause is v much appreciated.!!

My thanks to DKALWEIT too for the idea of parsing the php through an asp page. (U can have a beer too!) ;0)

Tomorrow I get to join the weight forum to see why despite thousandss of indexed pages my weight is 0. ha,ha but thats another story. Cheers again!

11. LiGhTen

LiGhTen Peon

Best Answers:
    GOING TO INSTALL IT NOW GREAT IDEA !!!!

LiGhTen, Apr 6, 2005 IP
  12. jared

jared Peon

Best Answers:
    Does this work with his last big update?

(the one the gets rid of the array)

jared, Apr 7, 2005 IP
  13. SEOAspHole

SEOAspHole Peon

Best Answers:
    This method simply calls Shawn's PHP script so you can use the latest version. Refer to DKALWEIT's post regarding the REMOTE_ADDR (Post#7)

I had a few problems with XMLHTTP but ended up using ASPTear instead to achieve the same thing and am now using the latest scrip with no problems.

SEOAspHole, Apr 7, 2005 IP
  14. dkalweit

Best Answers:

Sorry about not replying to these messages the other day-- for some reason, VBulletin didn't send me an update notification on this thread until just now when someone else posted on page#3... Weird.

I'm glad you got it working.

Cheers.

--
    Derek

dkalweit, Apr 7, 2005 IP
  15. SEOAspHole

SEOAspHole Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Derek
    No problem, thanks again for your input and for the idea. I cant believe it took this long for someone to think of doing it this way. It certainly saves a lot of hassle and allows us to keep up with current versions without having to wait for others to test the ASP updates.

Call me cautious but i prefer to let others do the testing on live systems before I jump in! This way I dont have to.

Thanks again and keep up the good work.

PS:Do you know if Shawn intends to implement your idea with the REMOTE_ADDR into his script permanently?

16. dkalweit

Best Answers:
    I agree. I jumped on too quick with the past ASP updates, and had to keep updating. This time I waited a couple days, and it still didn't work. I didn't feel like waiting, so I just built it.

Shawn hasn't said anything, and he commented on something else later in this thread, so I'm assuming he saw my post regarding it... Unless I'm twit-filtered or something, of course... ;-)

--
    Derek

dkalweit, Apr 7, 2005 IP
  17. SEOAspHole

SEOAspHole Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I for one am glad you did. It hadn't even crossed my mind to do this.

Here's hoping he reads this then and has some sympathy for all his devoted ASP users and includes it soon :)
    --
    Regards.

18. jared

jared Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok I finally got the ASP mod version working.

Still one problem however, It will not validate.

The site is www.mcadamsfloral.com and there are clearly 5 ads at the bottom of the page, but upon validation it tells me 'Ads not found on http://www.mcadamsfloral.com/'.

What should I try?

Also if anyone is looking for version 219 asp I will attatch it for those lazy people.

Attached Files:

jared, Apr 8, 2005 IP
  19. dkalweit

Best Answers:

The #1 reason that ad validation does not work, is the php file isn't modified properly to work with the REMOTE_ADDR pass-thru in the query string.

--
    Derek

dkalweit, Apr 8, 2005 IP
  20. SEOAspHole

SEOAspHole Peon

Best Answers:
    sorry to moan, but if this is an ad sharing network would it not be more ethical to actually have peoples ads in a colour that doesn't match the background colour of your site? Can't imagine anyone getting a high clickthrough rate from your site or you being to impressed at other members colouring your links to match their background colours.

SEOAspHole, Apr 8, 2005 IP