1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

latest asp-version

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by asamuel, Apr 4, 2005.

Can we have a sticky for the new asp and asp.net versions? We all want to update our files so we can continue using this excellent tool!

Someone has coded the new update, has anyone tested it yet, does it work??

asamuel, Apr 4, 2005 IP
  2. dkalweit

dkalweit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've tested it. It brought my sites to their knees. I'd advise against it.

I finally wrote something this weekend to call the php version on my server. I install PHP on my server, and wrote an ASP script that uses xmlhttp to call the another php page that just includes the ad_network php file. The only change we'll need to do to Shawn's ad_network php file in the future is maintain the query_string parameter for the REMOTE_ADDR(otherwise validation won't work, as the local web server will be the 'Remote Address').

To make this work, install the php files below in the same directory, create your ad_network213.txt file as usual, etc., and use the ad_network.asp file to call it. You may have to chane the address in it to where you're hosting your ad_network.php file(I installed mine on a localhost-only virtual server).

Thanks.

--
    Derek

Attached Files:

dkalweit, Apr 4, 2005 IP
  3. sji2671

sji2671 Self Made Mind

Best Answers:
    I have tested the above and it works, I also recommend it as its uses Shawns PHP code rather than an ASP "version" with no code support, using dkalweits files above the output can be displayed on your asp pages.

Just check that your host has:
    PHP and XMLHTTP installed

sji2671, Apr 4, 2005 IP
  4. iShopHQ

iShopHQ Peon

Best Answers:
    I got it set up and working by pulling the php pff a remote host I use. However, it seems to overwrite the ad_network_ads.txt every time instead of appending to it.

???

Just logged into my account, adn even though the ads are showing (www.treadmillhq.com for example - at the bottom) the site does't validate. Ads not found....

Could this be because i"M not pulling ads from the local server? Here's what I did

www.AdSite.com - no php support

www.OtherSite.com - php support

I put the php files and the ad txt file on OtherSite and am calling the php file with the asp include from AdSite.com, so my URL to the XMLObj is http://www.OtherSite.com/ad_network.php?XXXXXX

I should mention I've got about 30 AdSites.com all pulling from the same OtherSite.com where I'm hosting the php files and the txt file...

iShopHQ, Apr 4, 2005 IP
  5. sji2671

sji2671 Self Made Mind

Best Answers:
    I know you think for setup that it is easier to pull from one file however you should set them up independantly and use different files/txt files for each site to show the ads, if your main site has problems then it would affect your whole network, each site shoudl show its own ads from the txt file so set them up uniquely.

sji2671, Apr 4, 2005 IP
  6. iShopHQ

iShopHQ Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi sji-

Yeah, that would be best, but it would require me installing PHP on my Windows server.

To, would that solve the validation problem? None of the sites in teh above scheme are validating even though ads are showing. :(

iShopHQ, Apr 4, 2005 IP
  7. dkalweit

Best Answers:
    Shawn's code is the only thing touching the txt file-- my code just proxies the input(remote_Addr) and output(actual ads)

I am honestly not certain of the reprecussions of calling the ad file from a remote site/server. In theory, I'd think it should work-- I decided against it for lag reasons. Make sure that if you've gotten an ad_network213.php from Shawn's setup information that you've modified it as I did the attached one to include the query string option for REMOTE_ADDR.

Maybe Shawn would be so kind as to include similar code in the base code so we can truely use his php code, unmodified, via this(and similar) setups. It would have to be changed to a parameter instead of the entire query_string, due to the php code being used on pages that use the query_string for other purposes...

--
    Derek

dkalweit, Apr 4, 2005 IP
  8. dkalweit

Best Answers:
    Validation will not work without the change in the ad_network213.php code that I mentioned. It was one of those 'gotchas' after I installed my new code, but I solved it before posting anything here initially.

--
    Derek

dkalweit, Apr 4, 2005 IP
  9. iShopHQ

iShopHQ Peon

Best Answers:
    So if I use the code you posted up above in this thread is should work?

More:
    Tried revalidation adn got:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_IF in /home/.sites/28/site1/web/tools/ad-network/index.php(22) : eval()'d code on line 28

On the DP Page....

Even more
    No more DP error and my siate validated. Yay! I was feeling pretty bummed about maybe not being able to use the Co-op anymore.

iShopHQ, Apr 4, 2005 IP
  10. dkalweit

Best Answers:

So you got it working? Just to follow-up for anyone following this thread. To make this work you must:

1. Use the 3 files I included above
    2. Host your php files in the same directory on a php-enabled server
    3. Confirm the ad_network.php file is working by browsing to it.
    <half there>
    4. Change ad_network.asp to point to the server you host your php files
    5. Add this code to your actual asp files:

<!--#include file="ad_network.asp"-->
    <%=ad_network%>

Thoughts/considerations:
    1. PHP must be installed on server hosting the php files
    2. "Microsoft.XMLHTTP" must be available on your ASP server(part of msxml)
    3. If you use a new ad_network213.php from Shawn/Digital Point, you must re-hack it to include the query_string part(look at both shawn's version and the one above to see what I mean).

I think that's everything... Will edit if I can think of anything else. Thanks.

--
    Derek

dkalweit, Apr 4, 2005 IP
  11. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Jesus... do you guys use this thing every second of every day? :) I was working on something... and it was only there for 5 seconds maybe. :)

digitalpoint, Apr 4, 2005 IP
  12. SEOAspHole

SEOAspHole Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello everyone,
    I have tried to use the code exactly as it is provided and keep getting errors pointing to line 12 of the 'ad_network.asp' file. The exact error is:

msxml3.dll error '80070005'

Access is denied.

/ad_network.asp, line 12

Line 12 = ad_network_xml.send

The only change I have now made to the ad_network.asp file is that I have replaced "http://127.0.0.1/ad_network.php?" & Request.ServerVariables("REMOTE_ADDR") with "http://"& Request.ServerVariables("LOCAL_ADDR") &"/ad_network.php?" & Request.ServerVariables("REMOTE_ADDR") to get the correct details for the ad_network.asp file.

Bearing in mind it is approx 2:00am here in the UK and I've been sat in front of this machine for over 17 hours now, am I just being thick and missing something obvious?? Go easy on the reply to that one! ;o) I'm just not sure what is being denied access as I'm afraid I cant understand the php.

The ad_network_ads_213.txt file has write permissions.

I do not have access to the server other than through an online control panel as the site is hosted for me. Does anyone have any ideas?

I'd love to get this working as I share your concerns over unsupported ASP versions and this is by far the best solution I've seen to date. (If I can get it working of course)

Thanks in advance for any advice or guidance.
    SEOAspHole (1st time poster - long time lurker)

SEOAspHole, Apr 4, 2005 IP
  13. sji2671

sji2671 Self Made Mind

Best Answers:
    Have you checked with your host Microsoft.XMLHTTP is installed

sji2671, Apr 5, 2005 IP
  14. SEOAspHole

SEOAspHole Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi, Thanks for the reply.
    Yes according to my documentation it is installed. Any ideas on how I can actually check this?

SEOAspHole, Apr 5, 2005 IP
  15. sji2671

sji2671 Self Made Mind

Best Answers:
    If you have installed the files and the correct path inserted in ad_network.php can you run the php file through your browser and see the ads working, that should confirm that the PHP files are working correctly at least.

sji2671, Apr 5, 2005 IP
  16. SEOAspHole

SEOAspHole Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    Yes I can browse to the ad_network.php and it does display ads as expected. Just doesn't seem to work when calling it through ad_network.asp.

17. sji2671

sji2671 Self Made Mind

Best Answers:
    If you put that error into google there are plenty of instances of it to help you troubleshot, looks like its something you need to take to your host, for example I found;

Question/Problem: I am getting the error msxml3.dll error '80070005' Access is denied. /GeoBaseDev/geo_admin/ga_GlobalParamsUpdate.asp, line 49

Answer/Solution: Please navigate to this file and uncheck Read Only access before installing. Also ensure the the IUSER_MACHINENAME or Web Anonymous Users have NTFS Modify permissions enabled. GeoBase/common/config/xml/setupxml.asp

Other responses to this error found on google also point to permissions,
    eg: here

Seems a permissions error from a lot of the responses on google, maybe someone who knows what they are talking about or your host can investigate this for you, it doesnt appear to be a script/setup error.

sji2671, Apr 5, 2005 IP
  18. SEOAspHole

SEOAspHole Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi sji2671
    Thanks again for your input. I have emailed my host and will wait on a reply as I think you are probably correct. I'll post back if and when I get a solution in case other users experience this problem.

19. Perrow

Perrow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Found some errors in my code for the all asp version. It's now tested to see that it actually outputs the stat collecting gif.

I did not get the asp/php combination to work. Somehow my (providers) server refuse to load a document from the same server with the msxml component.

Attached Files:

Perrow, Apr 5, 2005 IP
  20. iShopHQ

iShopHQ Peon

Best Answers:
    Here's a file you can use to make sure your XMLHTTP object is working.

Put the file on your site, browse to it and Enter a remote URL (make sure you include the http://) and it will go out and try to get the content of the remote page and bring it back.

I should mentioned there's a lot of commented out stuff in there, as I originally wrote it to scrape prices off a remote site.

Attached Files:

iShopHQ, Apr 5, 2005 IP