1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Large single ads vs small multiple ads

Discussion in 'Reporting & Stats' started by ResearchTechs, Dec 4, 2004.

Would anyone be willing to share some info on their results with large single skyscraper/horizontal bar ads against multiple (4 ads per skyscraper) ads? Also, if you use a single large ad, will it just pick the ad with the highest price/click thru rate combo, or does it possibly get a multiplier on it since you're only showing one large ad?

ResearchTechs, Dec 4, 2004 IP
  2. my3cents

my3cents Peon

Best Answers:
    I've had the most success with the box ads. Not sure why, but when I ran box ads versus the skyscraper/horizontal, the box ads did way better. Try them all out and be sure to track your results using the Channels option.

I think Google runs the ads in order based on bid price. So the fewer ads you show, the higher the avg bid will be on the ads. If you show two sets of ads, each with 4 (for a total of 8 ads) you will have a broad range of bids. Some ads may go for $1 a click, while the last few may drop all the way down to $0.15/click...etc.

Sometimes more ads will generate less revenue. There is a fine line you have to find. Best thing to do is experiment over a few days and compare.

Hope this helps.

my3cents, Dec 4, 2004 IP
  3. oziii

oziii Peon

Best Answers:
    i find that different formats seem to work differently on different sites. Sometimes I wonder if there is any logic to it - try a variety of methods, track them and when you find something that works - do more of it.

oziii, Dec 5, 2004 IP
  4. melfan

melfan Peon

Best Answers:
    Wide skycraper and Leaderboard are the best ad formats for me so far. I also run Large Box Type ads wraps on content.

melfan, Dec 5, 2004 IP
  5. Tid

Tid Peon

Best Answers:
    Tid, Dec 5, 2004 IP
  6. TonysDesigns

TonysDesigns Member

Best Answers:
    *Waves at Research! Howdy partner

I own a few high traffic informational sites and I have the most luck with combo-ing up with the Large Rectangle (336x280) and the Wide Skyscraper (160 x 600) ad. I stick them so that the visitor has it right in there face. The seem to be clickin them quite a bit. Altho my CTR is not high at all (ranging from 2.0 - 3.2 or so), the number of clicks coming in are quite astounding.

HTH

TonysDesigns, Dec 5, 2004 IP