1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Laravel 5.3 vs Zend framework

Discussion in 'PHP' started by wason, Sep 27, 2016.

Hello friends! I want to upgrade my PHP skills to using frameworks. I am good with basics of PHP including OOP and also with HTML, CSS & JS. I haven't tried frameworks before and wants to study it before working with it. I have asked a few of my programmer friends and got a few options like laravel, zend, cakephp and many others. I got more recommendations for laravel 5.3, zend framework 2 and for codeignitor as well. I am a little confused and I would like suggestions from expert developers here. Which of these is best to start learning PHP frameworks and why? If you think another ine is better, please suggest it as well. Any words of advice is appreciated. Thanks!

wason, Sep 27, 2016 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Why do you wanna learn frameworks? Job-opportunities? In that case I would look at what is most in demand in job-ads.
    As for "best framework" - there is no such thing, really. What a PHP-framework does is put another abstraction layer on top of PHP - it complicates things, it doesn't make it easier, really.
    Granted, some frameworks have built-in functions and classes that ease the amount of coding you have to do - but first you have to learn how to use these functions and classes, when you could have been coding - and some of the frameworks aren't really that good at updating their core code to modern standards, and some even break common, well-known programming standards, or add convoluted, complicated systems for templating or similar.
    The best is usually to just use plain PHP - code up some helper classes and functions which you can base your work on, by all means, but try to avoid making "new" implementations of excisting tech.

PoPSiCLe, Sep 28, 2016 IP
  3. wason

wason Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the response.
    Yes, job is what I am looking for. A lot of advertisements are asking for expertise in frameworks. Some of the ads I have seen didn't mention any particular framework, but asked for knowledge in any of the popular frameworks. As I have already said, I don't have much knowledge about frameworks and thus not very aware about their advantages or disadvantages. Again, as I said I am good with plain PHP concepts and just want to upgrade my skills for a company job.

wason, Sep 28, 2016 IP
  4. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Then I would perhaps look into Zend or Laravel. Code Ignitor is horrible, and are mostly gonna make you wanna kill yourself, CakePHP is not too bad, but doesn't really provide anything fantastic (and it's not that much used in enterprise-solutions). Symfony might also warrant a look, however I know nothing about it.

PoPSiCLe, Sep 29, 2016 IP
  5. wason

wason Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you PopSiCLe. I will have a look at Zend and Laravel. I was already interested in Laravel after looking at their documentation. I have heard about CakePHP, but not so much about Symfony.

wason, Sep 29, 2016 IP