1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Laptops - fujitsu-siemans?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tony84, Jan 15, 2006.

ive been looking for a laptop for a while i dont need anything top of the range as i only really surf the internet occasionally i use dreamweaver and paint shop pro i was wondering i seen a laptop
    here and was wondering if you think its ok for the price? and if you think that fujitsu make decent laptops that will last a year or 2 maybe longer if my needs dont really change

tony84, Jan 15, 2006 IP
  2. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yep, looks pretty decent.

http://search.ebay.co.uk/Fujitsu-Siemens-V2030_W0QQfltZ9QQfromZR8

The only one I found cheaper (by £50) was 1 year old. I've had a Fujitsu laptop before (Lifebook P2040) which was a subnotebook so only had a 10.6" screen and isn't meant to be a powerhouse. The build quality was good though, and I liked the design alot.

Blitz, Jan 15, 2006 IP
  3. largeheartedboy

largeheartedboy Peon

Best Answers:
    My wife has a six year-old Fujitsu laptop that she still uses every day for work. She has never had a problem with it, and I've gone through two laptops in that time period. I've been very inpressed with its quality.

largeheartedboy, Jan 17, 2006 IP
  4. dave487

dave487 Peon

Best Answers:
    I just got a toshiba for about £500. Its good.

dave487, Jan 17, 2006 IP
  5. daboss

daboss Guest

Best Answers:
    tony, for real value-for-money, go for a dell...

daboss, Jan 17, 2006 IP
  6. Discreet

Discreet Guest

Best Answers:
    Dell is extremely expensive though. You'd be looking at $3000 to get a decent one.

I just bought a laptop from BestBuy. It's a Compaq AMD 64 bit processor. It's clocked at 1.7Ghz, but it outperforms my P4 3.2 Ghz desktop because the processor bus. Desktop cost me $2000 over a year ago. Laptop cost me $1200 two weeks ago. Wish I bought the laptop last year instead lol.

Discreet, Jan 17, 2006 IP
  7. cormac

cormac Peon

Best Answers:
    Totally disagree - Dell couldnt give a hoot about their customer base and I know this from fact and experience. Dell need to concentrate on their support crew, even though its outsourced, and just maybe it will make them a better company.

HP/Compaq is different though, excellent support group and the company has a heavy belief in if the customer is happy they will come back and buy more product lines. Lots of HP customers are loyal customers and will buy their products for years to come.

I had some contract experience with HP and thought it was an amazing company and loved every moment of it. Im sure people who has had bad experiences with HP will disagree though :(

cormac, Jan 17, 2006 IP
  8. Discreet

Discreet Guest

Best Answers:
    I completely agree.

My family only use to buy Dell computers. The biggest problem we ran into with Dell when placing an order (bear in mind this was about 10 years ago) was that it would take a very long time to recieve the computer. The quality of what they deliver is high, but it comes at a price as I show below.

A couple of years ago I tried to order a laptop from them. It cost $4500US. I ordered it express setup and delivery, which the website claimed it would arrive in 2 weeks, which was perfect. I place the order at the beginning of August. I figured there would be some delay, but there shouldn't have been any reason to get to September before I saw the laptop.

So I waited.

September rolled around. I called Dell on the 2nd week of Sept. I sat on hold for 45 mins before actually get a person on the line. They told me there was a delay because the video card I requested for the laptop was out of stock and they were waiting for the manufacturer, which it was set to arrive in the following week. They told me I should expect the laptop by the end of next week.

At the time I didn't question it, I just went along with it. I wasn't very happy, but at least they were sending it out.

October 1st comes around, still no laptop. Now I'm starting to get very cranky. I placed the order 2 months ago...

So I call Dell. I sit on hold for an hour this time...then I have to leave for work so I hangup. Before I do I leave a message in their system, assuming they would check it regularly.

Another week goes by. My need for a new computer at this point is extremely high, so I go down to the local computer store and buy a new computer from them for less than half the price of the laptop.

The laptop from Dell finally arrives on the following week. I open it up to get the packing slip and call the returns/exchange center on it. I demanded they let me return the product because of everything that had happened.

After arguing with the rep on the phone about it, he offers for me to keep it at 50% of the price. At this point the laptop is worthless to me because I had already been using the other computer for what I needed so I refused.

Dell then argues that it is useless to them because the box is opened, making is a used computer. Even though I didn't actually unwrap the laptop or take anything out except for the packing slip.

I finally get a return number from them and ship if off. Four weeks go by and I haven't recieved my reimbursement for the laptop, so I call them again.

Another hour on hold. I finally get somebody on the line and they try to stall the payment refund. So I get fed up and tell them either they refund the money or I will chargeback. I told him they had 2 hours to do it before I call my credit card company, I then hang up before he can say anything.

10 minutes later Dell calls me...I was so tempted to put them on hold for once...but I didn't.

They refund the money, and then tell me they will no longer be able to accept my business in the future because I am a "disruptive customer".

Whatever.

About a year later I tried to call Dell to order something (can't remember what, but it was small and cheap).

The CS tells me that they cannot sell to me. They say that I've been marked as a disruptive customer and then hangs up on me.

At the time I was really PO'd about it, but now all I can do is laugh.

I will never buy from Dell again.

Discreet, Jan 17, 2006 IP
  9. itsme

itsme Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My experience shows that Fujitsu is pretty good, especially considering the price. I would definately buy another one (the desktops are good too).

I am currently using a Dell, my first, and I think it's an excellent machine. I also think the price was very good for the performance and options I got... I would 100% recommend a Dell laptop.

I have also used IBM & Toshiba. I prefer the IBM, I'm not sure what it is exactly but it just seems better... but both are great.

my 2c.

itsme, Jan 17, 2006 IP
  10. tony84

tony84 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ive seen a fujitsu laptop i seen a dell 1 similar and it was about £100 extra possibly more, and also where i work i get a lot of people complainign about the customer service of dell, so id never touch them

tony84, Jan 17, 2006 IP