1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Laptop Battery acting mad... Please help me...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by theultimate1, Feb 27, 2009.

Hello People... :)

MY laptop battery is acting mad... It gets charged at the normal pace, but the charge gets reduced pretty soon, at almost 30% faster rate. It's a pretty new machine, not been in use for more than 6 months. This has been happening for the past 2 days.

Please help. Thanks :)

theultimate1, Feb 27, 2009 IP
  2. deluxdon

deluxdon Catch Me If You Can...!!!™ Staff

Best Answers:
    As you said its pretty new and not been in use of more than 6 months then why don't you contact dealer and let them know of this (under warranty) :confused:

DON.

deluxdon, Feb 28, 2009 IP
  3. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    What kind of weather have you been having? Li-ion/ Li-Po batteries don't charge well on really hot days. And depending on your usage, after 6 months of heavy use, your battery might simply be dead - they only have a limited number of charge cycles, and your cells might just be reaching the end of their life.

Kerosene, Feb 28, 2009 IP
  4. aloksharma

aloksharma Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Friend, always keep in mind that when you deal with electronic equipments with batteries and you are not going to use it for long time, you must always remove them. And if possible, you should try to charge and discharge the battery from time to time. This is the only way to get the most of the batteries.

Ok, now coming to your problem, I suggest you can have the laptop checked with your dealer and see if you can get the new battery in replacement. I think most laptop batteries and chargers are covered under 1 yr warranty while some have 6 months.

So without making any further delay, I think you should go straight away to your dealer or call the helpline no for assistance.

Hope that helps you friend.

aloksharma, Feb 28, 2009 IP
  5. Kerosene

Best Answers:
    Li-ion/Li-Po batteries don't need this, in fact it wears them out. They should be stored at 90%>full charge. Every time they go 'flat', that's one cycle out of their life span. They only have a limited number of cycles. I've killed batteries on my RC planes in less than 6 months - simply by using them from full charge > cutoff every day, it's just a fact of life. Rechargeable batteries are a consumable, just like printer ink.

They should either be in use, on charge, or stored out of your device at full charge (for no more than about 1 or 2 months). Whatever you do, don't leave you laptop battery sitting around DEAD FLAT.

:)

Kerosene, Feb 28, 2009 IP
  6. theultimate1

theultimate1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, thanks a lot guys for your responses... I've been using the laptop since 6 months, but been using it for like 12+ hours a day since about a month only. Otherwise, not even for 2 hours a day (I just looooooove my PC). These are Li-Ion batteries, and the temperatures are just fairly hot (33°C or so). A lot of my friends are using the same kind of system from the same brand, for exactly the same amount of time. In fact, they all use it for almost 14 hours a day, and have been using their laptops for over 6-7 hours a day, since the time we got it together (from college).

Could it be because of a short-circuit? I can relate to that, 'coz the plug points at a particular region in my Home have recently been burning out...

theultimate1, Feb 28, 2009 IP
  7. rookster

rookster Member

Best Answers:
    generally batteries come with a warranty of 1year only ... no matter what warranty you choose with the company atleast it is with DELL ...

my battery also started behaving in the same way after 14 months of purchase date when i called Dell they said all the batteries are only 1year warrantied no matter which warranty protection you choose

rookster, Feb 28, 2009 IP
  8. aloksharma

Best Answers:
    I doubt that could be the cause. External short circuits would not be the cause of the problem but yes internal short circuits could surely be.

For e.g. the some metal object comes in contact with the battery terminals or purposely short circuiting the battery (i doubt why someone would do that but still).

aloksharma, Feb 28, 2009 IP
  9. theultimate1

Best Answers:
    I guess I'll have to send it to the dealer who sold the college these not-so-mean machines... I'll keep you guys posted on what happened and why it happened... Thanks... :)

theultimate1, Mar 1, 2009 IP
  10. aloksharma

Best Answers:
    Friend, you did not mention that which brand of laptop you use. Is it a reputed brand or a local make?

aloksharma, Mar 1, 2009 IP
  11. theultimate1

Best Answers:
    I purposefully didn't mention it. It says HP when the laptop is closed, but you open it and there's a small mention of Compaq. The institution that I'm pursuing MBA in has 19 centers across the country, with each housing about 400 students (on average) [Yea, Indians will even know which institute I'm talking about... LOL]. So, I (rightly) guess that it's a custom-make. In fact, the model number is Compaq 6720s which isn't available in the market for sale, AFAIK.

I hope that helps.

theultimate1, Mar 1, 2009 IP
  12. pragun06

pragun06 Member

Best Answers:
    could that be an IIM ??

Im not too sure if they have 19 centers though..
    But as far as you laptop is concerned, its not a custom make.
    Compaq is a sub-company of HP

pragun06, Mar 1, 2009 IP
  13. aloksharma

Best Answers:
    Well my dear, compaq was taken over by hp. However all the laptops still have the name compaq. So I doubt its local make.

As regards to the model not available in the market for sale, its quite possible that the model may have been outdated. Its absolutely normal.

And finally, as regards to the institute, I am 12th fail x 3 times, so you can probably understand that I won't be able to guess.

aloksharma, Mar 1, 2009 IP
  14. theultimate1

Best Answers:
    Alrighty... It's Icfai Business School - Bangalore (IIM - only 7 centers yet).

I know that Compaq was acquired by HP years ago, and this model was never available in the market. The institute has affiliation with HP and I'm assuming that they've got these laptops custom-made @ Compaq, and just so students don't frown upon it, the HP label on the lid.

theultimate1, Mar 3, 2009 IP
  15. aloksharma

Best Answers:
    Ok, I have heard that name and may be also seen the advertisements (don't remember where, but may be where I live).

As regards to the laptop, I suggest you use it for few days until you can afford to buy a new one. I believe you live in US, so you can do a search on amazon, yahoo and other shops and you will get the best deals.

aloksharma, Mar 3, 2009 IP
  16. theultimate1

Best Answers:
    I'm in India mate, my profile says it. Icfai Business School hasn't yet been able to bacterise other nations.

theultimate1, Mar 3, 2009 IP
  17. evolva

evolva Banned

Best Answers:
    hmm may be the battery is defective if ur laptop is under warranty then get it replaced, otherwise buy a new one from ebay they sell very cheap

regards

evolva, Mar 3, 2009 IP
  18. Kerosene

Best Answers:
    Since you've got friends with the same system, maybe you should try your battery in their laptop?

At least then you could eliminate your home power supply, your laptop power supply, and any faults in your laptop hardware. Then you'll know for sure if it's the battery, or the power supply etc....

Kerosene, Mar 3, 2009 IP
  19. aloksharma

Best Answers:
    Oops, I did not realise that. Well, then the first thing that you must do is rush to the dealer and see if you can get the battery replaced.

BTW, any plans on visiting Nasik?

aloksharma, Mar 3, 2009 IP
  20. I'mPossible

I'mPossible Banned

Best Answers:
    May be its time to replace your old battery with the new one .

I'mPossible, Mar 3, 2009 IP