1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Lame Compliment

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Help Desk, May 28, 2004.

1. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yep, and without touching a single PHP file or altering the table structure either. :)

digitalpoint, Jun 4, 2004 IP
  2. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    This is because Shawn is very good at what he does. (All Shawns fall in this catagory, right?!)

He is like an interpreter, very fluent in the language. I bet he dreams in 1's and 0's, or #fffff, etc.
    :eek:

debunked, Jun 4, 2004 IP
  3. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    That's true too... :) For a living, I build very large/complex commercial software packages, I don't do SEO or web design or anything like that as a job.

But I have administered phpBB forums as well, and it's infinitely more difficult to hack phpBB to do things (and then you have to redo them on an upgrade, which I hated).

4. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    vBulletin is realatively expensive. If it was cheaper a lot more people would be all over it! Hopefully phpBB 2.2 will be much better, although who knows when that will be. ...then again, "You get what you pay for".

Help Desk, Jun 4, 2004 IP
  5. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Relative to free, anything is expensive. :)

Don't get me wrong, I think phpBB is awesome, especially for the price. But vBulletin really isn't all that expensive (a $160 one-time cost isn't terrible).

And truthfully, before vBulletin 3, it wasn't worth the cost. phpBB was "good enough". But vBulletin 3.0 really took everything to a whole new level (especially the administration/backend). So for me, the $160 cost was well worth the time saved hacking on phpBB trying to get it to do things that either vB does out of the box (like spider friendly).

6. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I apologize for this thread taking a different turn. It doesn't quite fit in the Suggestions section.

How is vBulletin's import? Is there a migration path from phpBB to vB?

Help Desk, Jun 4, 2004 IP
  7. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yep... it's automatic. SEO Guy's forum started with phpBB and moved to vBulletin without any problems (and so did SEO Chat) as an example. It's able to suck in everything (forums, posts, users, etc.)

Coding is something I know a LOT (I can't stress that enough) about. And I'm also not quick to give my personal recommendation/blessing to something either. But in the case of vBulletin, it's without a doubt THE cleanest, object oriented, easiest to work with piece of software I have ever run across. You can't appreciate it at all until you see the admin/backend (I only wish I saw it sooner).

8. Foxy

Foxy Chief Natural Foodie

Best Answers:
    Of that you have now convinced me.

I have the phpbb forums already installed but I am going to move across - you see it in the results of the search engines :D

Foxy, Jun 5, 2004 IP