1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Kiss My Azz Scotland!

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by lowster11, Aug 20, 2009.

1. ThraXed

ThraXed Peon

Best Answers:
    They let him out because if he continued his appeal it would have resulted in evidence being brought out showing that it was a set up.

ThraXed, Aug 21, 2009 IP
  2. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    That is one of the reasons for jail. Punishment, retribution, deterrence, and rehabilitation are all reasons behind jailing people who commit crimes. You seem to just happily ignore all the other reasons to jail him and focus exclusively on punishment. Obviously, rehabilitation is not the main reason to sentence someone to jail for life now is it? Since they are never supposed to get out, it is not rehabilitation they are being sentenced for. Your understanding of your own legal system appears to be severely lacking.

browntwn, Aug 21, 2009 IP
  3. lowster11

lowster11 Peon

Best Answers:
    this thread is in no way intended towards any Scottish citizens. I would like to apologize if I have offended anyone and for not being more clear in my post.

lowster11, Aug 21, 2009 IP
  4. peter_anderson

peter_anderson Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think it's not just the Scottish Nazi Party involved in this decision.

Westminster and America will have been involved. No way would the SNP be dumb enough to do it themselves.

peter_anderson, Aug 22, 2009 IP
  5. calum

calum Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, there is no possible way Holyrood made the decision themselves. However, despite Westminster's apparent anger at the Scots, I think they wanted to release him. It wouldn't look bad on them, but if he was in an English prison they wouldn't have, since it would look back on them.

calum, Aug 22, 2009 IP
  6. CountryBoy

CountryBoy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If he had been in an English prison, just like rapidly expiring scumbag Ronnie Biggs, he would have also been released. It's just the way we do things here in the UK. The balance of justice is skewed away from the victim, towards the criminal. Would any other country seriously consider "life imprisonment" to equate to about 15 years behind bars? Bollocks would they.

This shithole is rapidly turning into a Banana Republic.

CountryBoy, Aug 22, 2009 IP
  7. twistedspikes

twistedspikes Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think England had much of an influence on this decision...

I just don't believe that jail is a punishment in every case. To a lot of the people inside it actually offers a better way of living. Jails may have been for punishment in the past but now they are steering away from that. I still agree this plays a part but again - it's not the main focus (or point as I said before).

Retribution shouldn't be a factor - people making decisions about someones future shouldn't have any connection to the persons past or present.

Deterrence is hardly a good claim. I will agree that deterrence plays a part but it is only a side product of the main focus otherwise I would have to assume you accept that the punishment of the innocent is acceptable (yes I say punnishment here - sending someone to jail for something they have not done in order to deter others from doing it again) which is all kinds of wrong.

Then theres rehabilitation. The main focus of a jail.

It was rehabilitation I was focusing on...

Yes it is.

Life is what, 20 years? Something like that. It's not intended that someone stays in jail for their whole life (although it used to be). It is just thought that they require more time to rehabilitate than people who have commited lesser crimes.
    I think you'll find that if someone is sentenced to life then they can quite easily get out early if they seem to be rehabilitated and can convince a panel that they are.

twistedspikes, Aug 22, 2009 IP
  8. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I guess that is why the whole thing was a big joke. You are describing a joke of a legal system that sentences people to life and thinks a couple years is close enough.

browntwn, Aug 22, 2009 IP
  9. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    The Lockerbie bomber served less than 2 weeks for each person he killed. There are people that try to justify this by expressing doubt of his guilt. If there is doubt, then they should have allowed the appeal, re-examined the evidence or whatever. As it stands though, he was the one that went through trial and was convicted. Releasing him was a slap in the face to the victims families. I don't hate Scotland at all, but this decision was more than disappointing, and it wasn't compassionate in the least. I really feel for the families, they are planning to protest on Sept. 23 when Gaddafi comes to town. Not much good that would do, but it's something to do I guess.

Rebecca, Aug 22, 2009 IP
  10. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    A story on sky news earlier said "it may not be in American law that prisoners are released on compassionate grounds when terminally I'll, but it is in Scottish law", In other words, mind your own business.

Obama is getting ideas above his station thinking he is entitles to express an opinion on a decision Scotland made in accordance with Scottish law regarding a prisoner of Scotland found guilty in Scotland for a crime commited in Scottish air space.

stOx, Aug 22, 2009 IP
  11. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    We cannot make the laws in Scotland, but we are entitled to express our opinion.

Rebecca, Aug 22, 2009 IP
  12. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well nobody can stop you expressing an opinion, but your opinion is no more valid than if I were to hold an opinion on what you should havefor lunch. It's your business.

Then one guy, I forget who, was outraged saying "scottland didn't even consult us" LOL. Who does this prick think he is?

There comes a point when, regardless how much of an opinion you have of yourselves, that you have to realise that some things are none of your business.

People are even considering boycotting Scottish products, how they will get by without shortbread and irn bru is anyones guess.

stOx, Aug 22, 2009 IP
  13. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I disagree that it's none of our business, or that we should refrain from commenting. It's not that we are arrogant, and think so much of ourselves. It's that there are many people in the US that lost family members, and this has opened up a wound. Many of them are angry because the man that was convicted of killing a family member, gets released and sent home to thousands cheering for him. To see this hurts them, all over again. That's all. Like I said, I'm just disappointed, and I think that sums it up. I'm sure a boycott is not going to happen, and actually I haven't really seen much anger towards Scotland. But WTH is this shortbread you speak of? Isn't that just old stale bread that's hard as a rock? :)

Rebecca, Aug 22, 2009 IP
  14. Truth777

Truth777 Peon

Best Answers:
    His release was OK'ed by Washington 100%.

Think about it. Which western country would release a terrorist who killed so many Americans without Washington's permition?
    NO ONE!!!

There is a secret deal made with Libya and US is a major player in it. But the real big terrorist's name is Called Kadafi. Because he is the one who ordered the terrorist act.
    Megrahi was just a foot soldier who of course could have disclosed the terrrorist plan and saved the lives of so many people.... but he didn't.
    (Provided it is proved Megrahi put the bomb.)

Truth777, Aug 23, 2009 IP
  15. Truth777

Truth777 Peon

Best Answers:
    Forgot to mention.
    The secred deal was made long ago before Obama took office.
    And it surely includes the word "OIL" in it. Just pay attention who will be developing the Oil Fields in Libya.

Truth777, Aug 23, 2009 IP
  16. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah i'm sure some of the families disagree with the decision, but some also applaud it. some even think he is innocent. So making a decision based on what the families think is neither rational, a good basis for legal preceedings or as clear cut as some would suggest.

if at his appeal he was found innocent should he still be in prison if some families disagreed with the decision? of course not, the legal process has to take it's course, as it did here and as it will continue to do, whether america throws a tantrum.

The thing that pisses people off is the fact that a lot in washington seem to think scotland should have OK'ed it with them first, as though they are the ultimate arbiter on what everyone, american or otherwise, is permitted to do. They seemed outraged that scotland could dare have laws that differ slightly from their own.

Shortbread is a biscuit (cookie) made in Scotland. it comes in a variety of different shapes and only one flavour. Irb bru is a drink made in Scotland from girders, it's scotland's second favorite drink after anti-freeze and it looks and smells like tramps piss.

stOx, Aug 23, 2009 IP
  17. peter_anderson

peter_anderson Notable Member

Best Answers:
    America has a cheek to have outrage. How many IRA fundraisers/supporters helped the IRA in the US?

peter_anderson, Aug 23, 2009 IP
  18. calum

calum Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, but nobody here gives a damn what America thinks.

calum, Aug 23, 2009 IP
  19. tonyran

tonyran Peon

Best Answers:
    Exactly what I was trying to say, fair trial convicted him, fair trial should let him go. Not because hes too old, or ill or homesick.

Why don't just abolish life sentence then.

tonyran, Aug 23, 2009 IP
  20. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I wonder how long they've been planning to release the bomber? There is speculation, and I've read some articles referring to the treaty between the UK and Libya on the transfer of prisoners, it was signed in 2008. Did that help pave the way for the bomber to be released? I don't know. Though, it looks like this has been in the works for awhile, I found this article dated back to Apr 09:

Rebecca, Aug 23, 2009 IP