1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

keywords (wordtracker + overture) questions

Discussion in 'Keywords' started by disgust, Jun 13, 2004.

how many searches is considered a "lot"? how many is considered too few to optimize for?

I've only done a non-profit site's SEO before- and their primary phrase gets 14,000 searches a day according to overture, and 15,000 a day according to wordtracker.

I'm thinking about doing my first commercial site, and the keyphrase we were planning on targetting is quite small- wordtracker is reporting 46 a day, and overture is reporting 4 a day (that can't be right..)

how many searches-per-day is "too few" to optimize for in google?

assuming you can get to the #1 spot in google, how many hits do you get a day for that term compared to the wordtracker or overture searches-per-day?

disgust, Jun 13, 2004 IP
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    It really depends on the product and even more so on the competition. If it is a product/service with a 25K margin, then 5 searches (and finds) a day can be just fine. If it's being advertised to death with low margins due to cowboys slashing the prices then there'd better be thousands of searches so there is more scope to get a slice of the pie that might be sufficient to offer this product/service.

T0PS3O, Jun 14, 2004 IP
  3. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    yeah, I understand that, but I'm still pretty curious about what's just way too few too few to bother- even if the competition isn't too bad, and even if your profit margins are quite decent.

if anyone has a #1 spot in google for a phrase.. would you be willing to take a bit to look at how many hits per day you get for it compared to how many searches wordtracker/overture says are said per day?

I can't tell if it'd be more or fewer- it'd be more because more people would use google than overture and whatever wordtracker's source is, but at the same time, obviously not every search will lead to a click, even if you're in #1.

disgust, Jun 14, 2004 IP
  4. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I believe the general consenus is that real Google searches are approx 5 to 10 times higher than Overture's stats because of the fact they get it from meta crawlers and G's usage group is quite a different bunch of people. But clear stats are not known since Google won't give them.

So inthat regard it is hard to decide whether a search term would be viable, only until you've tried really but this information is all there is so you have to make do. I also check the click rates on adwords/max bids on overture PPC to get an idea of likely cost. Then you can compare that to the margins/overheads etc. and that's pretty much all you can do.

T0PS3O, Jun 14, 2004 IP
  5. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    what's the lowest you've ever deemed worthwhile? with a slightly modified variation of what I originally tried, I get about ~150 a day on both overture and wordtracker... would these be too little to bother optimizing for, assuming profit margins are decent?

it just seems like such a very, very small number of searches compared to what I'm used to- my primary phrase for our non-profit site gets 14,000 searches a day, although I understand they're under very different circumstances.

disgust, Jun 14, 2004 IP
  6. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    We sell tons of a product which according to overture gets only 18 searches a month :s

T0PS3O, Jun 14, 2004 IP