1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Keywords Type Dilemma.... even Google are stumped!

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by Scott L, May 19, 2016.

Hi all.... first time here :)

I initially had what I thought was a simple problem, but after speaking to Google's AdWords team over chat and on the phone several times.... even they couldn't help!

I want to target a bunch of countries outside of the UK, who are searching for video production companies based within the UK.

I initially wanted to set keywords like:
    "video production companies" UK
    so that I could show for a variety of search phrases such as:
    video production companies based in the uk
    video production companies in the uk
    uk based video production companies

.... and so on

Well, as you probably know - Google won't allow mixed keyword types.
    Google originally suggested the broad match modifier, but that seems to bring up all sorts of irrelevant clicks, mainly from people searching in other countries that are NOT searching for UK based companies, only local companies to them (I assume).

So, broad match modifier...
    + video +production +companies +uk
    kept returning non-geographical clicks such as:
    corporate video companies
    video production
    video production companies

These searches are not targeted enough, and more importantly none of them even type in the term 'UK'' - so are practically useless for us!

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Scott L, May 19, 2016 IP
  2. Lucid Web Marketing

Lucid Web Marketing Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well you can't have a "mixed" match type keyword. If you think about it, it doesn't make sense.

What you want to do in your case is use the broad match. Not the plain old regular broad but the modified broad. That will do what you want. You should not be getting served on the searches you say you are.

I do note you have + video as part of your BMM. If you have a space between the + and a word, that negates your BMM. It's an easy mistake to make so check in your account how you have entered them.

Lucid Web Marketing, May 22, 2016 IP
    Fer0 likes this.
  3. Scott L

Scott L Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your advice. Yes, the +video was a typo.

I've tried the broad match modifier and it mostly brings up searches without the UK specific word, which in some respects is the most important word in the keyword.

Google have since suggested that I use the keyword planner tool and only use phrase match for 'known searches' that show up on there - which I guess makes sense - but I bet I'm missing out on many searches that don't follow those phrases.

The keywords I'm targeting are low search volume, which is why it's important for me to match as much as I can to the searcher.

I'll try the phrase way.

Scott L, May 22, 2016 IP