1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Keyword Tracker Supports MSN and Yahoo

Discussion in 'Keyword Tracker' started by digitalpoint, Mar 23, 2005.

1. michael_angeloh

michael_angeloh Peon

Best Answers:
    OK, thanks... Seems like I receive about 60% of my traffic from Google anyway with Yahoo at around 20%, MSN at 10% and the remaining 10% from partners etc.

I noticed the rankings on a few of my keywords jumped like 9995 spots in ranking in a day especially with Google. Then a few of the same keywords drop 9995 spots only to come back later that week or the following week again with a +9995. Anyone know what that indicates..?

michael_angeloh, Apr 2, 2005 IP
  2. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yah!!!

It worked for me today and I only had to click the Check-all button 3 times total to get it to finish!! And it went so much faster!

(I still don't see what is happening, server stats shows no errors and I don't know where to look for PHP errors on the server.)

debunked, Apr 2, 2005 IP
  3. dazzlindonna

dazzlindonna Peon

Best Answers:
    Today, I got all -9999s in the Google results. I knew that had to be wrong, so I investigated and turns out my api code was returning the error that I had gone over my limit. I also knew that couldn't be true under normal circumstances, so I put in a new api code and it all worked beautifully that time around. I still don't know why it happened in the first place, but I just thought I would throw that out there in case anyone else has a similar problem.

dazzlindonna, Apr 2, 2005 IP
  4. pgruach

pgruach Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Shawn,

Just a small request:
    Can you make the colors of the words "Google", "MSN" and "Yahoo" in the table (resp. green, blue and green/yellow-ish) correspond with the colors in the chart (resp. red, green and blue). I prefer the latter.

pgruach, Apr 4, 2005 IP
  5. loki

loki Peon

Best Answers:
    very nice.

i track several websites, my own, clients' and clients' competitors. to make full use of the new MSN and yahoo tracking capabilities, should i have a seperate account with a seperate API for each domain? (ok, perhaps i shouldn't try to place the script on competitors' servers, but i can on my own clients' servers.)

loki, Apr 4, 2005 IP
  6. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    php -v shows 4.3.4 on the machine I'm using to host this - dated Nov/2003, so perhaps not that old ... but perhaps old enough to account for why it doesn't work for me (?)

I don't use PHP on my main server, but just debating if I need to add it for this one-time use.
    alek

hulkster, Apr 7, 2005 IP
  7. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    PHp 4.3.4 is pretty new, so I doubt that would be an issue.

digitalpoint, Apr 7, 2005 IP
  8. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    Just wanted to pop in here and say thanks again. The KWT kicks ass man. Now that Yahoo and MSN have decided to get into the search game again, being able to track our progress is really nice. Thanks Shawn.

chachi, Apr 7, 2005 IP
  9. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Would you be interested in more info on my setup to help debug the problem? I kinda doubt it is my keywords themselves (although I do have some with apostrophe's "'" - but I thought that smart quote setting was only on your end (?) Be happy to post/PM you any .ini/etc. settings.

One "interesting" thing is I just removed the reference in the Preferences to the .PHP script and did a "Check All" - now it shows most everything (including MSN and Yahoo) has been updated today - even if I click on the graph icon to the left of the keyword and then the down arrow, it shows data from today! I ran out of Google API queries, but it looks like it filled in the MSN/Yahoo results with those as almost all of 'em are identical! ;-)

hulkster, Apr 7, 2005 IP
  10. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Because if you don't have the script installed, it uses the default Google for your Yahoo and MSN keywords. :)

It's weird because I'm tracking hundreds of keywords, and I've never once had the Check All script not complete.

11. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Ahhhhh ... I might suggest that's kinda confusing - shouldn't it just not update those (?)

Yea, I've gotten that impression - I'm almost to the point that I'm going to demand a refund on the KWT! ;-)

Must be something goofy with the PHP setup - any chance you can PM me a test URL on your server that I could point to one-time to confirm it's not something goofy with my keywords or something like that? I mentioned this earlier, but my thinking is maybe we can track down a dependancy/configuration setting that would benefit others too, since a few other people appear to have the occasional burp.

hulkster, Apr 7, 2005 IP
  12. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yeah, of course... I just haven't fixed it yet. :)

When I get a second, I'm going to have my end spew some stuff to a log file for me... then maybe I can catch an instance where it happened and see if they are all related to Yahoo DNS issues or something.

13. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    OK - then I'll hold off on contacting DP Customer Service to demand a KWT refund! ;-)

Just tossing ideas/observations at 'ya Shawn - whenever you have a chance on this stuff - thanx again for the nice tool.

hulkster, Apr 7, 2005 IP
  14. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Shawn - If you decide to make any improvements to the tracker - a way to hide all of the 'disabled' keywords would be very useful.

Also, I have never had a check all not run fully, unless I reach the 1000 limit and I have been using the tracker for over a year regularly.

Design Agent, Apr 7, 2005 IP
  15. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    FYI FWIW: Just for grins, I fired up a "Check All" this evening ... haven't changed a darn things on my end ... and while it took a while (about 10 keywords/minute), it ran to completion for Google, MSN, and Yahoo. Just another data point in case useful.

hulkster, Apr 8, 2005 IP
  16. gemini

gemini Peon

Best Answers:
    I noticed that KWT shows different results for Yahoo if I click a few time on the same keyphrase. I checked one phrase it showed it #5 in Y! - then I wen to Y! manually and couldn't find it there at all. I went back and clicked on the same keyphrase again and then it said its not in first 200 results... I did the same thing with other keyphrases today and yesterday - shows different results and they seam not correct.. may be it has to do with new Y! API.. just letting you know Shawn.

gemini, Apr 9, 2005 IP
  17. Bazkaz

Bazkaz Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Shawn. Thanks for the amazing tools. I know you don't want people to add to much "junk" to the system and one of the reasons even more features haven't surfaced (I know those OptiGold people keep you pretty busy too).

I was wondering if you could add an easier DELETE function. I have some clients that I don't do work for anymore that I was tracking roughly 15 words for on each of the three search engines over the life of their account. I would love to be able and take these all out, but I dread going in and clicking delete, letting the page refresh, clicking delete, letting the page refresh, clicking... you get the idea.

Any chance we could get a check box system or anything to be able to delete words faster? Even being able to use the URL filter that's already included and be able to check all boxes for deletion would be nice. Though "Check All" for boxes and "Check All" to update words would probably need to be called something different so people don't accidentally delete key words instead of updating them... (Granted most should have the common sense not to do it since it would require clicking delete... but there's always those few)

Hopefully people would use it delete more frequently then and even clear up of their own time waiting for all their words to update. This would be especially effective for people who are pushing the limit on queries per day.

Bazkaz, Apr 9, 2005 IP
  18. bentong

bentong Banned

Best Answers:
    thanks for this great rank checker tool.

bentong, Jun 3, 2005 IP