1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Keyword Tracker Not Working For Me??

Discussion in 'Keyword Tracker' started by Elee, Mar 11, 2011.

1. TheCooldude

TheCooldude Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Shawn,

I have setup everything as per your instructions. do we need to manually set the 2 sec delay in the new script as well?

Because after i installed the new script, i'm now getting N/A for all my keywords

TheCooldude, Jun 1, 2011 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It shouldn't need delay on the new system. Do you get a specific error when you click on a keyword manually?

digitalpoint, Jun 1, 2011 IP
  3. TheCooldude

TheCooldude Notable Member

Best Answers:
    no, there is no message or even the popup (as it used to be), just the page is refreshing

TheCooldude, Jun 1, 2011 IP
  4. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Not sure... it seems to be working for me. Are you sure the keyword you are trying to look up is in the top results? Double check your Google API key as well. It should be exact (no spaces or anything).

digitalpoint, Jun 1, 2011 IP
  5. dealeron

dealeron Member

Best Answers:
    Using the new custom search API is awesome. however I'm still having issues, in that when I do check all rankings, the date that's on the keywords still stays as the last date I checked, instead of the date when I click check all rankings. for example for a keyword group it shows i last ran them april 5, but i've done check all twice now and it still shows april 5 for all keywords. i'm checking my google API console, and i'm seeing the queries come in, and the number of queries done grow.

when i click on an individual keyword, to have that specific keyword queried, in big red text at the top i get Error returned from search engine: Access Not Configured.
    when i do the check all, and i keep refreshing, the number of keywords goes down each time.

also if i click to see the chart for a certain keyword, it only tracks the april 5 query, not the queries i did today.

furthermore, im having the same issue as a previous poster, in that when i add a new keyword group, the date listed for them is december 31 1969. i do check all, and when its done, the rank for everything is still empty (nothing written, as opposed to N/A or 0), and the date still reads december 31 1969

thank you for looking into this and updating the script!!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
    dealeron, Jun 3, 2011 IP
  6. dealeron

dealeron Member

Best Answers:
    ok everbody, i fixed it, for me, and i'll tell you what i did.

my goal was to figure out how the script that digitalpoint provides works, call the script manually, and inspect the output. here are the parameters im using:
    keywordtracker.php?se=g&k=(Key)&e=&q=Rockville Chrysler&start=0&t=1&l=-1
    (keywordtracker.php is what i named the script on my server, and i blanked out my Google API key) so you can fill it in.

i don't know what the t and l parameters are supposed to do exactly, so i made an educated guess.

now when i ran that, i was getting the same error i talked about before when i would run individual keywords, which is "Error returned from search engine: Access Not Configured.". so i did some thinking and some researching, and i figured it had to do with a traffic restriction, because the API puts restrictions on the originating IP of the API query. so in my Google API console, I enabled the entire subnet of my network (x.x.x.0/24). and then i added a userip parameter to my request query, giving it the external IP of my server. i put the userip parameter in the script in the area where it does the google call (i only care about google right now). in other words this is where i edited the part of the script that is the URL API call to google.

now when i ran the script again, i was getting an error that i did not provide a custom search engine ID.
    i was wondering about this with the new digital point settings, how would it know which custom search engine to use just given the google API key? so i created a custom search engine in the console (it was a little complicated to figure out what to do but easy to implement, you had to do a special step where you disable giving priority of search to given websites), and grabbed the ID it generated, and added a parameter (cx) the same way as above, into the query URI.

then i ran the script again and i was getting success codes. i didnt understand the json results but it looked successful. then i went back into digitalpoint, did check all rankings, AND IM IN BUSINESS! the dates started updating, as well i was actually getting ranks for my keywords. beautiful!

so here's how to make it work for you, until our friends at digitalpoint find a better/quicker way to do it:

1) create a custom search engine in Google. in the control panel, go to Sites on the left panel. make sure there are no sites included, or excluded. you may have to research how to get this to work, there is some switch somewhere you have to change so that it allows you to do this. it was a quick thing, i just don't remember how i did it. a quick google search on "exclude all sites from google custom search engine" should give you what you need.
    2) in the script that you get from digitalpoint, make the following change:
    change line 64 to this:
    $data = get_page ('https://www.googleapis.com/customsearch/v1?prettyprint=false&key=' . $all_keys[$current_key] . $_REQUEST['e'] . '&q=' . urlencode ($_REQUEST['q']) . '&start=' . $start . '&userip={YOUR_SERVERS_IP}&cx={YOUR_CUSTOM_SEARCH_ID}');

obviously replace the {YOUR SERVERS IP} with your IP, ie. 10.20.30.1, and replace YOUR_CUSTOM_SEARCH_ID with your custom search ID, which you can get in the Custom Search Control panel - Click basic on the left panel, and copy the bolded text next to "Search engine unique ID"
    3) rerun keywords, and you will have success, at least i did.

hope it works for you.

dealeron, Jun 3, 2011 IP
  7. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Well glad it's working... but by default it allows any IP access, so if you had to configure allowed IPs for the Google API, someone may have inadvertently enabled the restrictions on your API account...

digitalpoint, Jun 3, 2011 IP
  8. dealeron

dealeron Member

Best Answers:
    yeah, when i was first trying to do the querying myself and do the parsing myself (in other words we had a script we wrote inhouse to do exactly what your script does - query the API, parse the results, and return them to another script that was storing and tracking the keywords in a database), i was having some access issues, so as a sanity check i put in the IP restriction, and it seemed to fix it.

here, the issues were 2 fold, 1 the access restriction (which probably shouldnt be an issue for anyone else unless they also put in traffic restrictions), but second that there is no custom search ID field.

i think the latter is what's important, unless there is some way to exclude that parameter in the API query, or you give us a field to input our custom search engine ID.

dealeron, Jun 3, 2011 IP
  9. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The custom search ID field is more for using a pre-defined search engine to filter your results. Is that really what you are trying to do? Doing so wouldn't give you results as seen on google.com...

digitalpoint, Jun 4, 2011 IP
  10. enlightenedexpressions

enlightenedexpressions Peon

Best Answers:
    Like many of the folks I am reading I am have problems for the first time with tracker. It states last update June 7 even though I have attempted to rund several times today. I get an error when I click on any individual keyword as bellow. Any suggestions would be appreciated:

<br />
    <b>Fatal error</b>: Call to undefined function curl_init() in <b>C:\xampp\htdocs\tracker\tracker2.php</b> on line <b>14</b><br />

enlightenedexpressions, Jun 9, 2011 IP
  11. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Your web server would need to have the curl extension compiled in it. Most installations do already, but apparently yours does not. You may want to ask your host, they might simply be able to enable it for you.

http://www.php.net/manual/en/curl.installation.php

digitalpoint, Jun 14, 2011 IP
  12. theblade24

theblade24 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Is there a way to get past the daily limit of the google api? I think it is courtesy 100 queries?

How do you get more?

theblade24, Jun 23, 2011 IP