1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Keyword tracker misses keyword

Discussion in 'Keyword Tracker' started by fluke, Aug 27, 2004.

Hi

up until recently the keyword tracker seemed to work fine for me (occaisionally it would be 1 or 2 places out) - but nothinhg that particularly bothered me.

however in the last 3 weeks it has been copmletely missing one of my keywords "sanibel view" - i am tracking this both as a normal keyphrase and as a quoted keyphrase.

it tracks the quoted keyphrase alright (gving me a position of about 16) but misses the home page for the unquoted keyword - it goes to the next page in the site which ranks for that phrase - at about 155.

sometimes it has missed it if google uses a http:// or http://www. - so i am tracking it for all possible copmbinations - but they all miss my home page and track the one at 155.

anything i can do?

fluke, Aug 27, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Best thing to do it track it without http://. For example, I track all my keywords (within digitalpoint.com at least) with a URL of just digitalpoint.com.

digitalpoint, Aug 27, 2004 IP
  3. fluke

fluke Guest

Best Answers:
    i am tracking it as all combinations ie www. http:// http.//www and just the domain name on its own - and all are skipping over it and going to the next page (at 155)

fluke, Aug 28, 2004 IP
  4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Sounds like normal data center flux there. Google always shows slightly different results based on your IP address, so unless you are on a US IP (like the server is), you may get a little different results. The keyword tracker reports as it's seen in the US.

digitalpoint, Aug 28, 2004 IP
  5. fluke

fluke Guest

Best Answers:
    - - but it's more that a little different ! :eek: it's 139 places out
    and its one of my main keywords - well it's not a high traffic keyword (very low in fact ) but it's the one that's the most likely to bring me qualified custom - and it's a very US centric phrase too :(.
    if you wanted to check your tool you could do a search for "sanibel view" (without quotes) (as you are in the US) and it would do me a favour too as i am dying to know whether it is there or not You got me worried now - it's been like this almost all month -

When you say "normal data flux" does that mean at some point it will return to more like the results i'm seeing at some point?

fluke, Aug 29, 2004 IP
  6. fluke

fluke Guest

Best Answers:
    what in heavens name??... i just tried checking it with the mcdar keyword checking tool and instead of my site at 17 its given a DP forum thread instead ...- the pages and links amounts - 46 and 50 are consistent with my site - so somehow it's got to my site *through* one of the forum threads....

(copied and pasted from mcdar tool)

"Your Site: in Google Pages Links PageRank *A* Links
    16. http://forums.digitalpoint.com/archive/index.php/t-1798.html 46 0 50 "

i'm just going to give up and go home in a minute :(

fluke, Aug 29, 2004 IP
  7. fluke

fluke Guest

Best Answers:
    yay - it's got it now :)

i don't know what caused it to happen - but now it's showing it's proper position of 14
    :)

fluke, Aug 31, 2004 IP
  8. fluke

fluke Guest

Best Answers:
    for anyone that may be interested - i think i sussed out what happened:

whilst over at HR i spotted a thread were someone had posted aobut the DP tracker ranking his keyword at a lower(poorer) ranking than it should be -
    this extract from the DP Tracker FAQ which was quoted, sums up the response
    The system attempts to make as efficient use of your Google API key as possible by searching at your last known position. Because of this, if your old position remains in its current place, but a new page in your domain ranks higher, it will stop searching for your rank after it locates the first one (which will be your last known position). To get around this, you can trigger the "Check All" function to run and search from the beginning of the results...

what happened with me was that i have always had two pages ranking for the same keyword - one at around 20 one at around 150. Earlier this month (August sorry)something got a bit messed up with a reciprocal link i requested - the site linking to me was using some kind of redirect - Google had somehow interpreted this redirect as an amalgamation of our two sites - ie the content was mine, that is - the title and text extract on google was identical to how my site shows up - except the URL was that of the linking site - hence my actual index page must have been removed via the duplicate content filter. when this happened DP started picking up my other site at 150- hence when the redirect was resolved and google re-indexed my main page - the DP tracker still tracked my other page at the 150 position! simple eh! :)

i suppose i should have read DP's FAQ - although i'm not sure i would have peiced it together for a while after...

there you have it anyway - just in case anyone was interested in what had happened! :)

fluke, Sep 1, 2004 IP