1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Keyword suggestion tool data

Discussion in 'Products & Tools' started by nadlay, Jun 18, 2004.

When you use the keyword suggestion tool from the Tools menu, where does the WordTracker and Overture data come from?

What period does the data cover? I know it says xsearches/day, but is that data for yesterday, last 7 days, last 30 days, last calendar month, last year?

nadlay, Jun 18, 2004 IP
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Overture is last calender month if it's pulled from their own kw suggestion tool.

T0PS3O, Jun 18, 2004 IP
  3. Geir

Geir Berserker

Best Answers:
    From the wordtracker FAQ:

How often is your keyword data updated?
    1) The top 1000 report keyword data is updated on a daily basis. 2) The main 350 million keyword database is updated weekly and contains data for the last 8 weeks. Each week, the new data is added and the old data is removed (the 8th week). This is a rolling eight week cycle.

:) Geir

Geir, Jun 18, 2004 IP
  4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I'm not so sure about the WordTracker data being updated daily (even if it says it does). I think it's actually updated monthly. And yes, the Overture data is from the previous month.

As far as where the data is coming from, it comes from Overture and WordTracker in realtime.

digitalpoint, Jun 18, 2004 IP
  5. nadlay

nadlay Guest

Best Answers:
    Reading what was quoted from the FAQ above, that means that a search term which shows up as 10 per day, would have been searched 560 times in the data period (10 x 8 x 7). Am I correct?

The reason I am asking about this is because some of the terms I found made me question the validity of the data.

For example,

arts incubation business funding 6/day

I mean, that is a very obscure phrase, and I find it difficult to believe that it could average out at 6 per day over an 8 week period. That would be 336 searches for that phrase.

Are my assumptions that it would have been searched 336 times incorrect?

nadlay, Jun 18, 2004 IP
  6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Anything less than about 1,000 searches/day are probably skewed because of the very small sampling they have. The best thing to do is use it as a guideline relative to other results it gives. Not as an actual "hard numbers" target.

7. nadlay

nadlay Guest

Best Answers:
    Hang on a minute, I think I've completely misunderstood these figures.

I thought they were a calculation of actual figures, in other words, "xyz" was actually searched for 5600 times in the 8 week period, therefore it averages out at 100 per day (5600 / 8 = 700 per week then 700 / 7 = 100).

Are you saying they are taking a sample of search requests on a particular day, and producing estimates from that?

Then it could be possible that the phrase I mentioned above was searched 6 times by one person on one day, and never ever searched again during the period - yes?

nadlay, Jun 18, 2004 IP
  8. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Correct...

Also keep in mind, that none of the data comes from Google, AOL, MSN or Yahoo searches.

9. powderboy

powderboy Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm actually trying to research how they get their data. Since they don't mention where they get their data from on their Web site, I'm skeptical. Does anyone have any insight as to where WordTracker gets their data?

I've eyed their service for years, but never bought it because Overture is free. I question WordTracker's relevance if they have a smaller sample size and/or they don't have access to the larger engine's data (yahoo, google, av, fast, etc.)

powderboy, Jun 25, 2004 IP
  10. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    They say they can't say... but everyone knows Webcrawler is the major source.

digitalpoint, Jun 25, 2004 IP